Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
From my experience the toppers come no where near a real memory foam bed.
After we bought our Temper-Pedic the kids were very jealous. Feeling very guilty for how much we spent on our bed, we bought them all the Costco memory foam toppers last Christmas. No.....they are not even close in comparison but Yes, the toppers are a comfortable upgrade for a conventional mattress. The kids like them a lot!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Okay. So now you've got me curious about Tempur-pedic. What model do you all have?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Okay. So now you've got me curious about Tempur-pedic. What model do you all have?
Go lay on them! You pick one by whats comfortable to you and what your willing to pay!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

we shopped tempur, denver mattresses foam, and costco and did a lot of research. Like UB said, go try them. however, not for 5 mins or so. lay there for a while. a good while. It should take you most of a day to shop for a mattress.

damhik

john (johnny) henley
Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

I took Kevin's advice and on the way to the airport stopped off at Mattress Firm and tried 3 levels of Tempur-pedic. I liked the Deluxe version. It's just as pricey as the sleep number bed.

Asked Bonni to go check them out while I am out of town.

I went to the same store I bought my last mattress and they said they would buy it back at 50% of what I paid for it. Course buying the new mattress at retail.

So both the Tempurpedic Deluxe and Sleep Number P6 seemed they would work for me. Although both beds are different

Sleep Number
Pro- conforms to body and relieves pressure points
Pro - Can adjust the two sides different
Pro- Can adjust your side different depending on how your feeling. Guy I talked to said when he worked outside all day, he liked being able to adjust it different than normal
Con - Cost
Pro - Can try it for 45 days and return it
Con - Trying and return it will cost about $400 if you have them set it up and come get it. $200 if you do it yourself
Con- When something breaks, it's up to the consumer to diagnose and send for the new part and install it.
Con- Lots of parts that can go bad causing a leak.
Comment - Some people love them, have them 10+ years and never have an issue. Some people hate them and have nothing but problems.

Tempurpedic
Pro - Conforms to body and relieves pressure points
Pro- No moving parts to fail
Pro- Delivery and setup is $50 vs $200
Pro- Trial period is 90 vs 45 days
Pro - Out less than $100 if return it and don't like it.
Con - Cost
Con- Some say smells for a few weeks
Con - Some say it makes you sweat, some say it doesn't
Con - Some say material breaks down in 2-3 years losing comfort feel. Some say it doesn't.
Pro- Warranty is superior to Sleep Number from what I can read
Comment - This bed relieves pressure points and envelopes your body so movement is harder. e.g. you have to really work to roll over, but if your sleeping well you don't need to.
Comment - Some people really love this bed or hate it

So from what I read, heard and has been commented here

Bed's are a matter of personal preference. A style (Foam, Air, Standard) one person loves will be hated by someone else

Both Tempurpedic and Select Comfort are about the same Price

Both relieve pressure points

Both allow you to try and return

Both have people who love them and hate them

Tempurpedic is much less $$ to try and return, so stands to reason if your willing to try both, you should start with that.

Tempurpedic is not prone to the reliability problems as there are no moving or pressurized parts.

Tempurpedic is more of a change to how people sleep and will take more getting use to

Sleep Number provides more custumizable options depending on how your feeling. Bonni commented how she could make it firm when she is sitting in Bed watching TV and softer when going to sleep

Does that seem to capture it?

Hopefully Bonni will try the Tempurpedic in the next day or so and we can choose which one to try
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 08-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ken,
make sure you try others besides tempurpedic, and remember, that there are two different types of foam used in mattresses. some claim that they use "memory foam" when there is really only one classification of heat activated foam.

did way too much research when we bought ours....

john (johnny) henley
Old 08-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bonni and I tried several Tempurpedic mattresses. She liked them much better than the sleep number. Went to the place I bought my old mattress from and they gave me $800 back on my old bed, 2 free pillows, a mattress cover and free delivery.

If I decide to return the mattress within 90 days it will cost me $60 (and my old mattress )

Thanks for the tip on tempurpedic Kevin

I definitly recommend Mattress Firm on I-225 and Mississipi. I worked with the manager (John) there. Great customer service
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 09-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Update:
I thought I should wait a few weeks to provide an update.

Great customer service from Mattress Firm

They brought our new bed out and true enough it had an odor that is gone now after 3.5 weeks

The first night, I couldn't sleep and was wondering if I was crazy to get this.

They start out a lot firmer than in the show room, but they tell you that too.

After the first few days I noticed no more back pain. Still woke up a couple times during the night, but not because I was in pain. Maybe just because I was use to. Who knows

After a couple of weeks I am getting use to sleeping on it. My wife went from the first day of not liking it to now liking it better than anything we have had before. I notice I fall asleep quicker and my back and legs don't hurt the next day. Back use to hurt and legs felt stiff. The support is definitely there.

We bought the Alure. The Alure and Rhapsody bed are more firm, while the Deluxe and Celebrity bed are a bit softer due to the different foam on the top layers. My personal thought was a more firm bed that works for us would be better for the long term.

When you go try the beds out, you should know it will take a while for the new bed you get to loosen up a bit to be as soft as the one in the showroom.

We are both happy with this bed, but still have 60 days to return it for a full refund if we change our minds. Don't think that's going to happen. It's good now, and I know it will in the end be a bit softer than it is now.

Here is the write-up from a good site about these beds:

Insiders' Guide to the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress
I remember the first time I came across the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress - in 1993. When I lay down on it, it felt like nothing I had ever experienced before, and it still does. Since then I've had over 10 years in the memory foam business, and I've collected enough samples of memory foam to have a small memory foam museum in my closet. But the sample of the TEMPUR (R) foam still has the most unique, sexy feel of all the memory foams I've come across. With all Tempur-Pedic (R)'s success, many have tried to imitate their product. But so far, no foam manufacturer has yet been able to successfully duplicate the melting and conforming feel of this Swedish product.
An Introduction to Memory Foam

These days there seem to be dozens of different flavors of memory foam, but they all descend from a project by NASA back in the 70's. The idea was to come up with a material that could dampen the forces encountered by astronauts upon takeoff. While the first memory foam developed never actually made it into any space vehicle, it did end up getting picked up by the medical industry to help relieve bed sores since it was so effective at reducing pressure points.

The first generation of memory foam was effective but brittle, and just didn't stand up well over time. Tempur-Pedic (R) was the first company to really make a breakthrough with memory foam on this issue - they came up with a version that had the luxurious feel and density of that used in the medical industry, but also wore well and had real longevity. They first produced the material for the medical industry, and then were the first company to bring out the product to regular consumers in the early '90's.

Since then, memory foam has become the latest, coolest trend in the bedding industry - and for good reason, it really works. There is just no other material that works to reduce pressure points and conform to your body like memory foam. Tempur-Pedic (R) has really driven the industry with its advertising and retail store placements, and is certainly the leading player in the memory foam business.

In recent years it seems every foamer in America as well as overseas, even in China, is churning out their versions of memory foam. Most are of a lower density than Tempur-Pedic (R) . Tempur-Pedic (R)'s memory foam, TEMPUR (R), is a 5.3 lb/cubic foot density, and most other memory foams are in the 2.5 - 4.0 lb/cubic foot density range, although there are a few that have come out with a 5 lb/cubic foot density recently. (Note: density is measured in lb/cubic foot. Here's how to understand this - the question being answered is how much a cube measuring one foot in each dimension of this specific material will weigh. So, for example, in TEMPUR (R)'s case, a cube of TEMPUR (R) foam a foot in each dimension would weigh 5.3 lbs).

The density of a memory foam has a few consequences: the higher the density of a memory foam, the more costly the material. This is because more raw materials (rather than air) were used to make the product. And a higher density also contributes to how cushioning the product is - a higher density product has more actual material to provide cushioning. So part of TEMPUR (R)'s appeal is its high density which gives this additional cushion and support to its product.

But there is more to a memory foam than just density - each memory foam is made from a unique recipe, and each recipe gives a somewhat different feel and structure to the foams cells. I'm not a foam chemist, and foam chemistry can get very complex, but I can tell you that the unique recipe of Tempur-Pedic (R) gives its foam a supportive, yet melting quality plus durability that just hasn't been duplicated by any other foam company.

The melting type of quality of memory foam is one of the things that sets memory foam apart from other foams. Memory foam is unique in that it feels and acts differently at different temperatures. It becomes harder and more rigid at colder temperatures, and softer or more elastic at warmer temperatures. This is why memory foam is also called visco-elastic foam - it is viscous at lower temps, and more elastic at warmer temperatures. TEMPUR (R) foam has a very apparent reaction to your temperature, softening readily as you touch it. It is one of the reasons that people find TEMPUR (R) foam so wonderful to squeeze.

As a bedding surface, the visco-elastic nature of TEMPUR (R) foam means that it will soften with your body's temperature and "mold" to your body. Other memory foams have a bit of this molding feeling, but none that I've tried has as much of this feeling as Tempur-Pedic (R) .

In addition to this molding quality, memory foam is also an open celled foam, which means that air can pass from cell to cell. This ability to pass air from cell to cell, along with the unique way that memory foam cells deform when compressed, gives memory foam the ability to reduce pressure by spreading pressure among connected cells. No other foam or other bedding material combines these qualities of molding and pressure reduction, which is why memory foam has become such a hot commodity in the mattress industry.

With success has come imitators, and all sorts of mattresses these days offer their version of memory foam to compete with Tempur-Pedic (R) . I've tried many of these other memory foam beds at the specialty mattress and bedding industry trade shows. But while I do like some other memory foams, and they do offer consumers a good product at a lower price point, I still haven't come across anything that has the unique quality and feel of the TEMPUR (R) foam. For those looking for the absolute best in memory foam, Tempur-Pedic (R) remains that gold standard.

Expensive, but worth it?

But is it worth the premium you pay for it? This is the $64 question, and one I've never really had a good answer for. It is an expensive product, no doubt. Although as the years have gone by, other mattress manufacturers, using what I feel are inferior products, have come out with memory foam beds as expensive or even more expensive (as an example, the top of the line Select Comfort mattress with memory foam, positively makes the Tempur-Pedic (R) look inexpensive as it starts at $3,000 or so). But for the price, Tempur-Pedic (R) offers something that is difficult to find in the mattress world - a very high quality product that actually performs as it is hyped. In the 5 years I sold the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress to hundreds of customers, I found that 9 out of 10 really loved the mattress with a fervor bordering on the evangelical. Would I like it if the Tempur-Pedic (R) was a bit lower priced? - Yes. But you can't understate the value of a product that performs as described, and Tempur-Pedic (R) does deliver in spades. It's unique feel and conforming nature work to relieve pressure points and support your back in a way that just hasn't been duplicated.

Don't Let the Soft Layer Fool You - It's a Firm Mattress

Over the years, I found that some customers were surprised by the firmness of the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress. They had thought that the mattress would be kind of soft because of the top, giving layers of memory foam. But the reality of the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress is that while the initial feel is soft because of the top memory foam layers, it really is a firm mattress at its core due to the 5 - 6" bottom layer of firm, high resiliency foam. This bottom, mattress core is pretty firm when the mattress is new, and does take a few weeks or so to break in and give a bit. But even then the mattress retains a pretty firm feel. I didn't find that the mattress was overly firm for most customers, but I made sure that I only sold it to people who enjoyed a firm mattress.

One caveat - I never sold The DeluxeBed by Tempur-Pedic(TM) or The new CelebrityBed by Tempur-Pedic(TM), and I understand that these have softer feels. The The new DeluxeBed by Tempur-Pedic(TM) has a thicker base (6" of foam vs. 4.5 in the The ClassicBed by Tempur-Pedic(TM) (which is what they are calling the basic Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress I was familiar with)) and a bit more memory foam as well, and The CelebrityBed by Tempur-Pedic(TM) has this thicker base and an even thicker layer of memory foam on top. I think this was a good move by Tempur-Pedic (R), to offer these different options that provide a range of firmness. FYI - I've heard through the grapevine that The CelebrityBed by Tempur-Pedic(TM) has been a big success, and that The DeluxeBed by Tempur-Pedic(TM) is now the leading seller in the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress line. I guess there is a real market for these kind of top of the line approaches.

The Trial is Key

All my years of selling mattresses have taught me one thing - you just don't know if you are going to like a mattress till you have had a chance to sleep on it. Lying down on the mattress at a store may give you an inkling that the mattress may work, but the litmus test is trying it for yourself in your own home. That is one of the best parts of the Tempur-Pedic (R) offer - they have a very good home trial period, and the return fee, if you don't like it, is reasonable. This stands in marked contrast to most mattress retailers that either don't let you return a mattress, or only allow you store credit toward another mattress from their store. To Tempur-Pedic (R)'s credit, they put their money where their mouth is, and I never had a problem with them accepting a return and refunding the purchase.

What did I hear from customers during the trial period? Mainly, I heard from customers that they were sleeping better and experiencing fewer aches and pains after using the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress. My experience with the trial was that 90% of the people who tried the Tempur-Pedic (R) ended up liking and keeping their mattresses. This is a pretty small return ratio for a mattress product - in comparison, some air beds have over a 30% return rate. Overall, I found that while it often took customers a few days to get used to the feel of the memory foam layer, most people found that after a few days this feel became second nature and they really liked the way the mattress conformed and supported them.

I did find, though, that a few issues did sometimes come up for customers during the trial period. First, I found that it wasn't uncommon for it to take a few weeks to break in the mattress. Often the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress was firmer than customers expected when new. I think this is because the mattress they had tried out in a store had already been broken in over time from people trying it out. So I had some people calling me about the firmness of the bed, but I found that most of the time the bed softened up a bit after a few weeks, and then felt more as people expected. One tip, if you do find the mattress too firm when new, is to try unzipping the cover and peeling it back so that you are sleeping just on the foam itself. The cover seems to inhibit the breaking in period a bit, and sleeping straight on the foam can speed up the breaking in process in most cases.

I also heard from a few people that they felt too warm sleeping on the mattress. Memory foam does sleep somewhat warmer than a traditional cotton topped mattress, but not as warm as standard, closed cell foams. I found that most people were able to get comfortable with the temperature by adjusting the amount of covers they used. But if they were still too hot, peeling back the cover did help most since it is a bit cooler to sleep right on the foam than with the cover due to the fact that the cover contains a moisture barrier membrane.

Also, the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress may have an initial odor when new - this is an issue with all memory foams. I've found as long as people know this up front and then aren't surprised by it upon delivery, it really wasn't an issue. The odor dissipates pretty fast, and is completely gone within a few weeks. I can't remember that I had any returns due to this initial odor - but I did warn all my customers before they received the mattress.

One last issue that surprised some customers is that TEMPUR (R) foam is pretty temperature sensitive. While this is one of the key reasons that TEMPUR (R) foam has such a unique feel and benefits, it can be a bit of an issue if you have the mattress in a cold room - below 68 degrees or so. I can't say I remember any customer returning the mattress for this reason, but a few who liked cold rooms did solve the problem by warming up the mattress with an electric heating blanket to soften the memory foam before climbing into bed.

How to Find the Best Deal

Special Update - October 12, 2006

Now All Tempur-Pedic (R) Dealers Must Offer The Same Price and Incentives
Ok, I'm guessing many of you tuned in for this section - how to find a good deal on a Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress. I wish I had some great inside tip for you on finding a discount on the suggested retail price of the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress, but as you may have already found, the basic price of the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress is the same regardless of who you buy it from. So it is fruitless to search around for the best price - it is all the same.

The big recent news is that Tempur-Pedic (R) is working hard on "leveling the playing field" among its dealers. Tempur-Pedic (R) wants to assure customers that regardless of where you buy a Tempur-Pedic (R) , you will get the same basic deal and incentives. This amounts to some major changes in practice - no more "free shipping" and no more ways to avoid paying sales tax. All dealers must have the standard shipping charges and collect a tax on the purchase - no if, ands or buts. And lastly, the days of extra pillows on a purchase are over. One free pillow is it - and there just isn't any discretion to add in the extra. Once in awhile you might find a better deal if Tempur-Pedic (R) is having a special incentive offer, but for the most part this is the best deal you can expect to be quoted. You may find a better deal if you negotiate directly with a local retailer, but this is subject to individual negotiation and you will need to be in the store to get this sort of a deal (they won't be able to quote you over the phone - no dealer can publicly quote a better deal than the standard offer and expect to stay a dealer). So our advice is to go, in person, to a few local stores and try to negotiate the best possible deal.

An Option If You Want A Memory Foam Mattress, But Just Can't Afford Tempur-Pedic

As you can tell from this guide, we like the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattress line - and we really feel it is the gold standard in the memory foam mattress market.

But we do know that some people just aren't able to afford the Tempur-Pedic (R) mattresses, or just have a ceiling on what they are willing to spend on a mattress. So we are often asked if we have a lower priced memory foam mattress that we would also recommend. And for a long time we just didn't - we just didn't feel that any of the dozens of memory foam mattresses that have come on the market in the last few years had the quality and comfort we demand - even from a lower priced memory foam mattress.

11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 09-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Lifted

Good call on the Tempur-Pedic, We have enjoyed ours for over 10 years and it still seems like new, meaning no noticeable break down in the foam. If you buy and get used to one of their pillows, you will end up taking it with you when you travel as other pillows will tend to suck. I even use mine in our RTT !
Old 06-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bringing this to the top. It never did get as soft as I wanted it. I was still waking up several times a night and my shoulder blades would occasionally be hurting.

So we put the 4" foam topper on top of it we bought to make our previous pillow top bearable. It was much better and I was sleeping better. Bonni didn't like it because it was too cushy and after a while asked me to take it off. If momma aint happy, nobody's happy.

She did want the Allure Tempur-pedic which is a firm bed for one of these types, my favorite was one of the softer, but we bought the Allure bed two years ago.

So we are looking for queen mattresses for our guest room (Rachel's old room) and I decide to try the latest Tempur-pedic bed while I am there. It's called the cloud bed. I really liked it and started thinking about making the guest room a King (hadn't bought furniture yet) and swapping out this new cloud bed. It was right next to the Allure and I could go back and forth and feel the difference. It was HUGE

BUT THEN I NOTICED, the cloud bed was on one of those ergo bases where you could adjust the head and foot elevation, so I laid it flat and then compared the two beds and didn't notice much difference.

Hmmmm, I asked the sales man to put the Allure mattress on the adjustable base. Flat felt like home and then I raised the head a bit . a bit more . a little bit more. then a bit on the foot. Ahhh, huge difference. Bought it last night and had it delivered today and when you put it flat (like before) it feels so uncomfortable compared to a little adjustment.

I know you can get these for regular mattresses as well. Point is, this adjustable base seems to make a huge difference and you may want to try that if you have an expensive mattress, but just can't get comfortable.

I looked at that WOW furniture place near park meadows. What a rip off. Their prices are inflated and they even had this marked ABOVE the manufacturers list. Went to Mattress firm and they cut me a great deal with great customer service.

I'll try and remember to update after I have slept on this a bit
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper