Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ken,
since you got the adjustable type it comes split down the middle correct? We have the same Tempur-Pedic as you do and I am having similar problems now. I have been thinking about the adjustable beds and wonder how the middle seems feels when the bed is flat or when you raise your side a little or lot and your wife rolls over. The later was something we worried about 2-3 years ago and now still do, guess we have to try one at the store and see how it feels to us.

Hope your bed will give you many great nights of sleep, I feel your pain literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 06-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Guessing you guys sleep flat on your back?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Ken,
since you got the adjustable type it comes split down the middle correct? We have the same Tempur-Pedic as you do and I am having similar problems now. I have been thinking about the adjustable beds and wonder how the middle seems feels when the bed is flat or when you raise your side a little or lot and your wife rolls over. The later was something we worried about 2-3 years ago and now still do, guess we have to try one at the store and see how it feels to us.

Hope your bed will give you many great nights of sleep, I feel your pain literally.
My King mattress is one peice. The adjustable base for a King is two seperate Twin XL's that they sync. Queen and smaller are single peice adjustable. This means both sides are at the same height no matter how it is adjusted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Guessing you guys sleep flat on your back?
I'm a side sleeper and it's only up in the front a few inches and an inch or two at the foot and makes it much more comfortable.

I was actually amazed and wouldn't even of thought of it for side sleeping had I not gotten on the Cloud Bed and thought it was wonderful and then noticed it was adjusted up a bit. I was really surprised when I put it in the flat position and it didn't seem so wonderful anymore.

Sleeping on it for a while will be key and I will post up in a few weeks.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
I have been thinking about the adjustable beds and wonder how the middle seems feels when the bed is flat or when you raise your side a little or lot and your wife rolls over.
We get put up at too many hotels with sleep number beds (Radisson's pretty much all have them).

Here's a picture from our union web site...
Name:  sleep number.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  11.0 KB

I am lucky enough to be able to sleep anywhere, anytime, but the sleep numbers beds consistently get complaints from our crewmembers. more consistent bad reviews than any other type of bed in general.

Kate and I have a tempur foam of some flavor--I love it. It lets my light sleeping wife put up with me even!

Dan
Old 10-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thought I would provide an update

We bought the Allura Bed from Tempurpedic as a result of my initial question. My wife loved it and it is real comfortable. It's pretty firm though and as a side sleeper gave me a backache. My wife loved it so much, I thought I would try and get use to it and went past the 100 day try out period.

It was very comfortable and was easy to go to sleep, but I would wake up in the middle night with pain in my back. Tried pillows. Even put a foam mattress topper on top of this. That helped, but made the bed taller and Bonni didn't like it.

We were shopping for beds for Sarah. She bought the icomfort and is still real happy with it after swapping out the beautyrest she first got. While we were shopping I tried the Tempurpedic Cloud Lux and I loved it. The store manager told me the Allura is better for back sleepers and the Cloud Lux is better for Side Sleepers. It's their softest bed. So we moved the Allura into the Guest room (Needed a mattress there) and bought the Cloud Lux. Finally after years of going through mattresses after Bonni made me get rid of the water bed I had one I liked.

After about 90 days Bonni told me it hurt her back as it was too soft for her. She really loved the Allura that is now in our guest room. I debated taking a sawzill and cutting both in half, but decided against it.

So we are exchanging the King Lux for two Twin XL's (same as one King). One will be the Cloud Lux I like and the other will be the Allura Bonni likes. With the sheets on, it will still look like a single King Mattress.

So far I have spent a fortune on Mattresses over the years. I hope I am good for quite a while with something we both like

Just thought I would post up. Two Twin XL's in other mattress types might work for you if you and your partner like different mattresses. Also, not all Tempurpedics are alike.

I would also like to recommend Mattress Firm. I went with them because you have 100 days to exchange or get a full refund. Mattress King would only let you do an exchange (no refund) and if you got a cheaper bed in the exchange, you didn't get any money back.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 10-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well as long as Ken is offering an update. We are nearing 4 years on our Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody (king) and it has held up great. No noticeable wear and tear. Marianne still loves it I'm still OK with it. I still like my old Beauty Rest in the guest room.

Last fall I purchased a heated mattress pad as I prefer sleeping in a colder room than the . It offers separate temp adjustments on each side. No she can crank up the heat and we finally settled the argument at the wall thermostat The great thing is the heater softens up the mattress before you get into bed. My biggest complaint was always the hole I felt like I was in on the Tempur-Pedic. Now the whole bed is warmed and when I roll over in the middle of the night I don't feel like I'm in a hole. So I leave mine on the lower heat setting just to cure that. It was a great improvement for me in comfort. Plus we basically turned the master bedroom heat zone off all last winter saving propane.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
Thought I would provide an update

We bought the Allura Bed from Tempurpedic as a result of my initial question. My wife loved it and it is real comfortable. It's pretty firm though and as a side sleeper gave me a backache. My wife loved it so much, I thought I would try and get use to it and went past the 100 day try out period.

It was very comfortable and was easy to go to sleep, but I would wake up in the middle night with pain in my back. Tried pillows. Even put a foam mattress topper on top of this. That helped, but made the bed taller and Bonni didn't like it.

We were shopping for beds for Sarah. She bought the icomfort and is still real happy with it after swapping out the beautyrest she first got. While we were shopping I tried the Tempurpedic Cloud Lux and I loved it. The store manager told me the Allura is better for back sleepers and the Cloud Lux is better for Side Sleepers. It's their softest bed. So we moved the Allura into the Guest room (Needed a mattress there) and bought the Cloud Lux. Finally after years of going through mattresses after Bonni made me get rid of the water bed I had one I liked.

After about 90 days Bonni told me it hurt her back as it was too soft for her. She really loved the Allura that is now in our guest room. I debated taking a sawzill and cutting both in half, but decided against it.

So we are exchanging the King Lux for two Twin XL's (same as one King). One will be the Cloud Lux I like and the other will be the Allura Bonni likes. With the sheets on, it will still look like a single King Mattress.

So far I have spent a fortune on Mattresses over the years. I hope I am good for quite a while with something we both like

Just thought I would post up. Two Twin XL's in other mattress types might work for you if you and your partner like different mattresses. Also, not all Tempurpedics are alike.

I would also like to recommend Mattress Firm. I went with them because you have 100 days to exchange or get a full refund. Mattress King would only let you do an exchange (no refund) and if you got a cheaper bed in the exchange, you didn't get any money back.
I wanted to wait for what I hope is the last update till I was sure.

We went with the XL Twins and I was happy with the Cloud Lux. Bonni was not happy with her Allura Twin even though she was with the Queen. We were about $6K into mattress now and that a lot of money to not be perfect.

I always like the mattresses at the Hilton and Sheratons and found out the Beautyresy Black is one step up. So we went to Mattress Firm and tried the Beauty Rest Black Plush and have had it for 3 months now and we are still happy. It also was $4000 less than two twin Tempurpedics.

Now that I have this, I am glad I returned the much more expensive tempurpedic.

Mattresses are a hard thing to purchase. It takes a while to make sure you have the right thing and you have to balance the needs of two people.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 03-20-2013, 12:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Wow, Ken, your experience sounds a lot like ours, only better. As I write this, we have three king mattesses in the house, and can't both sleep on any of the freaking things. Do I sound frustrated??? That number doesn't count the one we gave away, or the two we tried and sent back, or the inummerable mattress pads and pillows we have laying around. Anyone want a slept-on-exactly-once 2" memory foam pad? Whatever is in those things makes my wife dizzy in minutes.

It's late. I gotta go to bed...

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

I found this place online. I'm so annoyed with 1-sided mattresses (conventional) that I may just mail order a 2-sided one. Free shipping. I haven't found a local place that carries 2-sided mattresses, but will ask around again.

http://www.stlbeds.com/articles/2008...ided-mattress/
Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
Wow, Ken, your experience sounds a lot like ours, only better. As I write this, we have three king mattesses in the house, and can't both sleep on any of the freaking things. Do I sound frustrated??? That number doesn't count the one we gave away, or the two we tried and sent back, or the inummerable mattress pads and pillows we have laying around. Anyone want a slept-on-exactly-once 2" memory foam pad? Whatever is in those things makes my wife dizzy in minutes.

It's late. I gotta go to bed...

Mark
i'll take the memory foam, we use them for dog beds.
82 FJ40