Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 08-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Question for carb gurus...

Or, a question for any of you 40 owners that know carbs better than me (which would probably be all of you )

On my FJ40 I've got a Weber carb (yeah, I know...came with the truck). The 40 runs fine for the most part around town but on hills (anything from just around town to running up 285) it will often bog down/lose power at full throttle...If I back off the throttle things are ok but then I'm not getting the power needed to go up the hill . And, the 40 gets terrible gas mileage...I know they don't get great gas mileage but I'm lucky to get 10mpg on an all highway trip. I'm guessing the 40 is running way rich and wasting fuel...

I figured that since my 40 was a CA rig that the carb needs to be rejetted for a higher altitude and have the timing set etc. I admit I don't have a clue how to do this and Jim C. etc. won't touch a Weber used on a FJ40. I have thought about going back to a stock carb but from what I have read, converting from stock to a Weber requires numerous changes to throttle linkage etc. so I can only assume converting back would be just as much work. Plus, I'd have to find a carb and have it rebuilt (actually have 2 carbs I bought for from Nathaniel) which would be $$.

Anyway, I saw these from Marshall/Trollhole on MUD awhile back --> New AftermarketF & 2F carbs and got to thinking again about changing out the Weber. I could rejet/rebuild the Weber for less probably but in the end I would still have a Weber which doesn't seem to be very popular in the 40 world...

Obviously I'd have to get with Marshall and send him some pics of my setup to see if his carbs will work or if I'll have to be changing a bunch of stuff. But, anyone have experience or thoughts on these aftermarket carbs? $225 is a lot of but I'd spend more than that having a stock carb rebuilt and probably 1/2 that rejetting the Weber...

I'm thinking of trying to tackle this over the winter so I'll be ready in time for summer 2010
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

The only problem is they are non usa. But that should be ok.

I bought one from nardek before I think they got out of it. I think troll hole got the info from them and is sell the carbs from there. It's a brand new aisin carb. Can't go wrong unless you need the smog ports.

I hate to say it but I chose to buy a new one vs send mine out to jim c for roughly the same $

I'm not sure it's going to be jetted for alt though. you may still have to do this.
TLCA#4180
Old 08-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Rising Sun member

Jeff, I think Treeroot has a Weber on his 40. They are actually pretty popular and, barring purists, seem to be acceptable carbs for 40s. But AFAIK there are two types that typically get swapped onto 40 engines. They are:
32/36 and
38/38

My first thought was that maybe your float level is set too low, meaning you don't have enough gas in the bowl for when you get on inclines.

I am not familiar with what kinds of adjustments are needed or available on a Weber carb, but do some research and find out exactly WHICH Weber you have and that might help narrow things down further. Then check your timing (a basic timing light from Autozone is like $20) and check your plugs - if you're running rich they should tell you. My 40 gets about 12 mpg almost always. I have gotten as low as 9 (topped off in Golden and then topped off again in Idaho Springs, after going up I-70 mashed to the floor) and as high as 15 (going to Moab for CM '07 (topped off in Glenwood Springs, Fruita, then Moab), checked against Mapquest).
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 02-10-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
It's a brand new aisin carb. Can't go wrong unless you need the smog ports.

I'm not sure it's going to be jetted for alt though. you may still have to do this.
No smog stuff on my 40 so I should be ok there...

Zornff (Mike) bought one and from what I read Marshall will jet the carbs for your primary elevation...It was obvious on the 1st 40s only run to those that were there that my 40 isn't jetted right...probably at its limit in town so it was not happy at the top of Kingston Peak

And yes, these are the same carbs that Nardek in AU was selling but it appears they are no longer bringing them in...A guy from AU bought one from Marshalll and had it shipped down under...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
JeffBut AFAIK there are two types that can get swapped onto 40 engines. I THINK they are:
32/36 and
38/38

or something like that. You would have to research it but I believe you want the 32/36, as the CFM matches better for the needs of the 2F.

My first thought was that maybe your float level is set too low, meaning you don't have enough gas in the bowl for when you get on inclines.
I need to dig out my notes...I looked into this heavily back 2-3 yrs ago but can't remember now...Pretty sure I have the "36" version. I just keep putting it on the back burner 'cuz the other two Cruisers tend to keep me plenty busy so the 40 gets ignored - I'll have to look again into the jet kit for the Weber plus the Weber book and see what that would cost compared to the aftermarket carb and the work involved swapping back...

Just a matter of finding the time to dig into it for real vs. web wheeling it
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 08-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Jeff, I've done a few FJ40 carbs (and my first 22R last week!), so if you want a hand, I would be happy to help you get an Aisan rebuilt and set up to work on your 40. I have spare jets and some linkage parts too. I work for which tends to be cheaper than Jim C's rates.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Jeff, I've done a few FJ40 carbs (and my first 22R last week!), so if you want a hand, I would be happy to help you get an Aisan rebuilt and set up to work on your 40. I have spare jets and some linkage parts too. I work for which tends to be cheaper than Jim C's rates.
Excellent...Thanks for the offer Martin - We'll see which way I end up going...it will take me until at least December to decide
TLCA #17037

:

Old 08-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Excellent...Thanks for the offer Martin - We'll see which way I end up going...it will take me until at least December to decide
No problem. In the meantime, look to see if the connection to the manifold is still stock to accept an Aisan, identify what type of distributor you have, and look to see what's been done on your throttle linkage. That way, we'll know what you need to make the aisan work on your setup. Post up some pics.

If you decide to go stock 2 barrel Aisan, get me the carb (or carbs) and that way I'll have until December to build it.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Rising Sun member

Hey Jeff, I bet this guy has some carbs you could buy:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trollholes-c...sed-parts.html

lol
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 08-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

See if your weber still has a tag on the top with a number on it. If it does give that number to NAPA. They can tell you what size carb you have and how much a rebuild kit is for it. They are usually surprisingly cheap and weber are pretty basic and easy to rebuild, I'm glad to help you with it.

I would do that first before I started rejetting it. Sometimes you have a bad power valve or plugged passage and it will cause the excessive rich condition, once thats fixed the jets may be acceptable. If not, its easy to change main jets later.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 08-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

All good advice. I'll also through into the mix that I have an AISIN and rebuild kit, even picked up the chem-dip and it is on my list to do a rebuild. You are welcome to learn along with me while I do mine. As usual, I've done a bunch of research (guess I'm a closet web mechanic) and with paying attention to details it is not beyond my ability.
TLCA #18941