Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
your Glass On The 80 Yellows?

I Hate The Plastic Lenses On New Cars.
X2
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Rising Sun member

so how's this working after about a year?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Tim's looked like it had more of haze and outright damage than yellowing. My Camry had yellowing and I had to repeat it every 3 or 4 months and they looked new again. Now the 3M stuff I used only took 5 minutes per side.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
so how's this working after about a year?
The tint is back a little, but still way better than it was, they're still clearer than before but the yellowing is beginning to return. I was just thinking about this the other day actually, about maybe doing it again. Only problem is there's now a big bumper in the way so the access is a bit more difficult .

Here's a pic from 2 minutes ago, through my office window.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 06-04-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: thought about it some more..
Old 06-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Used the kit in the first link on my dad's Camry...He said the difference was amazing. Of course I also installed some Toshiba HIRs for him at the same time as well

He tried a different kit previously from Checker with little success.

I went REALLY overboard and started with the most aggressive grit so it took quite awhile. But in the end I thought the headlamps looked "new"...We'll see how long it lasts but it's been about 4 months and so far so good.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
The tint is back a little, but still way better than it was, they're still clearer than before but the yellowing is beginning to return. I was just thinking about this the other day actually, about maybe doing it again. Only problem is there's now a big bumper in the way so the access is a bit more difficult .

Here's a pic from 2 minutes ago, through my office window.
well cool, my Tundra could use some headlight sprucing, and if it can go for a year or more then I can handle that...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 06-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm sure the crystal clear headlights are tougher to do, but I have done many of the older plastic headlights with a cheap orbital buffer (the kind you can stall if you push too hard) and a clearcoat-type rubbing compound (very fine grit). I can get 90% of the haze/ugly to go away, and if the vehicle isn't outside most of the time, it takes a long time to come back. I doubt any wiped-on 'UV protectant' is really going to last very long. I just rebuff as needed. 5-8 minutes per side, and use masking tape to protect the paint/grill around the lights. Quick, cheap, easy. Makes any beater car seems like it's worth more when you sell it ;-)
Old 08-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Rising Sun member

Piggybacking on nakman's thread:

Well, I bought the 3M kit from Autozone, it was about $20. Spent a couple hours messing with it tonight, including doing laundry and stuff, and am pretty pleased with the results so far. You have to have a drill, a terry cloth, and a spray bottle with water. I was timid about doing this procedure, but thought if some goober who buys stuff at Autozone could do it, I could too. The kit comes with 300 and 800 grit sandpaper and a 3000 grit pad as well as a buffing sponge, rubbing compound and masking tape. You start with the 300 and work your way up, finer and finer. It's really easy to do and I'm impressed with the results, especially with my passenger side light. My driver side light was worse to start with, and I think it needs some more work (tomorrow), but it has showed pretty significant improvement.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Wow, those look great Matt!! makes me want to do mine again.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have just started wetsanding mine with some 1000 every once and a while.. I only had time to do one side last time, and the difference with the lights on is amazing.

john (johnny) henley