Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Arizona Trip

Mitchell and I went to AZ for 2 weeks. This time there was no screwing around. We were either wheeling or riding ATVs, riding an old XR350 dirtbike, camping with friends and relatives, or shooting handguns. Not to mention, plenty of XX Amber went down the tube. Mitchell rode his bicycle, but I believe it or not did no mountain bike riding with a bit of a chest cold. Mitchell did actually very well for the 14.5 hour drive to Prescott and back, stopping only for gas. I could only drive about 65-68 mph to keep the fuel economy less horrible with 5.29's at 2800 rpm. The trucker traffic on I-40 was the usual bear.

The first trip down ther was in the valley, southeast of Phoenix, near Florence, camping on the Gila river. No RTT this time. It actually rained for the first time since September (this was mid-November) The tree cover was heavy and gave the 'Cruiser some Arizona pinstriping from Mesquite trees. One just about ripped the top of the snorkle off!:

We had a real cattle drive come thru camp in the morning, and yes, we were warned and got the kids in the rigs and out of the way. There were a couple of big 'ol steers not in the pic that were 'bent on going one way. You can hear tree branches crack and the commotion from a distance:

Another pic, with my buddies 1990 exta cab:

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies

Last edited by Bikeman; 12-10-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

We also went camping with a group of friends that had a CJ rock crawler that Mitchell got to ride in. It is an '86 with a SBC, dana 300, and full width 60 and 14 bolt. He did not do too much "crawling" per se on this outing, but was super fun going up and down the washes bottoming out the coilovers. He trailered it up the wash on a heavy equipment trailer, pulled by his2WD F-550. The Palo Verde trees and cactus added some desert pinstriping:

Our camp on a 1000 acre cactus farm with old mines and springs scattered about. It took a 6 mile drive up a wide wash from the Carefree Highway near Lake Pleasant to get to camp:

The desert is a wonderful place:

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Saved for Prescott pics

Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

I need to scan some shots but I used to frequent the road north of Carefree that went up through Seven Springs and then cut over to Bloody Basin. There were scores of roads to go off and explore as well as some popular ones like Sheep Crossing, Power Line, and Red Creek. Lots of old Indian Ruins out there too. Me and a group of friends did the Verde from Childs down to Horseshoe in canoes (3 days through a wilderness) 4 times. I love the desert too.

I was just out there in September and the family that is taking care of my dad (he's in a group home) took me out to Pleasant fishing. We had the place to ourselves. Saw lots of wild burros out there. Lots. Like 50 of em.

Very cool pics.

Last edited by pmccumber; 12-09-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: add detail
Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

WOW that looks like fun.

Quote:
Mitchell and I went to AZ for 2 weeks. This time there was no screwing around. We were either wheeling or riding ATVs, riding an old XR350 dirtbike, camping with friends and relatives, or shooting handguns.Not to mention, plenty of XXX Amber went down the tube.
That sounds like a short list of a good time to me!
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

That's a lot of cacti! Wow. Very cool pics. I've never done anything like that -- makes me want to go.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

I was down there around Xmas time last year, and we did a motorcycle trip in the Tonto NF for a couple days. Tons of trails for technical riding, plus high speed fun in the washes. I think it was around 45-50* at 8:00am, and the locals were complaining about how cold it was...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Beautiful pics.

37's