Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Yes, but he didn't run on the message of "hope". This thread is in the tech section not political section.
Hmmmmm......sumthin' about practicin' what your preachin'......
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wow - I feel partially responsible for sparking this political debate in the Tech forum.....
Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Might have to have the guy with the "powah" split this thread

I know I will want to refer back to this thread in an attempt to remember what to do when my LX and 80 fail emissions (which seems almost inevitable)...

That said, the politics behind why my trucks fail an arbitrary test down the road (and the tangents taken) is interesting but for sure those discussions belong over in the political forum...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Thanks Dave, but I was looking for info on the taxation of music played on the radio. I bet that you know the answers, or will shortly, on that issue too.
Hey, did I leave my cooler there the other night? The contents are probably long gone but that's cool.
Contents are very much intact. Didn't realize there was Keystone in there until the next day, so it was already warm. 'Course that probably won't make it taste any worse. :-) You also left your gloves I think.

BTW, not familiar with taxing radio music but I know Radio 1190 was concerned a year or two ago about the way royalties would be collected on streaming music. Don't think it impacted broadcast radio, but I dunno.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 02-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Name:  thread.gif
Views: 147
Size:  103.0 KB
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Might have to have the guy with the "powah" split this thread

I know I will want to refer back to this thread in an attempt to remember what to do when my LX and 80 fail emissions (which seems almost inevitable)...

That said, the politics behind why my trucks fail an arbitrary test down the road (and the tangents taken) is interesting but for sure those discussions belong over in the political forum...
I tried to move most of this page and half of the last page, but I'm not a mod over in Poli-ville, so couldn't do it.

But I was at Checker today, picked up a bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner for $10.83 including tax. Guy behind the counter said that's the best stuff, and if you were close on NOx you'll pass with this stuff for sure. Go fill up, run half of it down, then take the test. So that's the plan...

Then while I was there another dude was in there with a CEL asking if they had an OBDII card reader. Same guy behind the counter said they can't pull codes anymore due to liability reasons. wtf? I overheard them and said "hey man I'll pull your code for ya, let's go" and out to the parking lot we went. Turns out he's in a 1999 Taco, first thing he says is "is that your 80?" And he happens to have a 40 at home.. go figure, small world huh? So Lars if you're reading this welcome back to the forum man. Also I hope you get your PO171 figured out, a solution probably better left to a different thread..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hey Tim...

There is a thread over on MUD titled "Colorado Emissions Failure" - In short a guy in Colorado was buying a '94 FZJ80 but the 80 was failing NOX...

Here was his follow up:

Quote:
Thought I'd bring the thread to a conclusion. Seller had new cats put on and it passed with a 1.7 NOX. I'm pretty sure he had it done at the dealership and he said the mechanic told him that they had been seeing a lot of 80 series in the shop with these issues since the NOX limit dropped from 9 to 4.

Seller also said the dealer, who had earlier in the process replaced the oxygen sensor, told him that a failed oxygen sensor took out the cats because the engine was running too rich.

But in any case, I'll be picking it up in the next few days.
I have a feeling that many of us 80 owners will be replacing cats and O2 sensors over the next couple years, if they haven't already been replaced.
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 02-25-2010, 02:16 PM

hey nakeman thanks again. I just posted a thread on the p0171 code, preety easy fix
Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I have a feeling that many of us 80 owners will be replacing cats and O2 sensors over the next couple years, if they haven't already been replaced.
Minitruck guys too, O2s at least.
Most of us used to wait until they threw a code. But they are marginal waaaaaay before that. I am deciding whether an O2 would pay for itself in improved mileage alone. Maybe not right way, but probably can't wait toooo long.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I am deciding whether an O2 would pay for itself in improved mileage alone. Maybe not right way, but probably can't wait toooo long.
I've had the same "wonderings" - I've been told you don't replace the O2 sensors until they throw a code...Makes sense but if they gradually reduce their effectiveness and start affecting mileage a little more every year, one would think new O2 sensors could at least pay for themselves over their lifetime, if not more than pay for themselves

It seems though that it is almost prudent to replace both the cats and the O2 sensors together though if there is a chance a bad O2 sensor will burn out a cat...
TLCA #17037

: