Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

You can always put in E-85 instead of Heet. My brother put a ton of it in his 1994 '80 (in Arvada) to get it to pass - like several gallons in a tank that only had a 5-7 gallons of gas in it. After the test, he filled it with regular gas and burned it quickly. He had high CO, I think.

He also now keeps a brand new, spare gas cap on hand only for e-tests, since his truck seems to repeatedly fail their 'gas cap' check.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Lifted

Default Hip Hip Hooray

Just passed the emissions today with Flying Colors. Even better than when I had the truck new from California.

Replaced O2 Sensors, Spark Plugs, Air Filter, and Rotor.

My good readings....
HC - 0.2567
CO - 4.0977
NOx - 1.1060

Anyone care to guess which one probably had the most impact. I for one think I could have got by with an Air Filter and putting Air in the tires I didn't think to do that when I borrowed Kevin's tires. They were at 15psi give or take

So now I should be good until the CATS fall off.....

Kevin, If you see this as I will PM you as well I am good to go and will take the tires off once the snow stops coming down.

BTW. Michelins are much slicker in ICE than my KM2's. So my take is KM2's are better than the stock tires by far.

"Tractor in a Tux"

What Did the Five Fingers Say to the Face.....
Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Just passed the emissions today with Flying Colors. Even better than when I had the truck new from California.

Replaced O2 Sensors, Spark Plugs, Air Filter, and Rotor.

My good readings....
HC - 0.2567
CO - 4.0977
NOx - 1.1060

Anyone care to guess which one probably had the most impact. I for one think I could have got by with an Air Filter and putting Air in the tires I didn't think to do that when I borrowed Kevin's tires. They were at 15psi give or take

So now I should be good until the CATS fall off.....

Kevin, If you see this as I will PM you as well I am good to go and will take the tires off once the snow stops coming down.

BTW. Michelins are much slicker in ICE than my KM2's. So my take is KM2's are better than the stock tires by far.

Congrats on the pass!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to thelal Send a message via MSN to thelal Send a message via Yahoo to thelal Send a message via Skype™ to thelal

Tim
On my older (96) truck my freq. P401's where nearly always exhaust hole related. What was strange that certain places driving triggered it (Berthoud) due to bump in road etc..
Plugging the holes fixed it 4 awhile (too cheap to replace..)

Brendan
Old 01-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

some more e-test data for the thread.

1989 V6 4runner. 280,000 miles. original catalytic converter. Original o2 sensor. Still passes smog test.
smog test results for 2009 and 20011

2009 smog test: 2010 smog test: Limits:
Hydrocarbons: .4478 .4237 3
Carbon Monoxide: 7.2549 6.8810 25
NOx: .7638 .5586 5

Last edited by leiniesred; 01-25-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Rising Sun member

Looks like the Runner is getting better every year!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

3.0 V6
Old 01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
3.0 V6
X2!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to thelal Send a message via MSN to thelal Send a message via Yahoo to thelal Send a message via Skype™ to thelal
Default Passed emission on 3rd go

I just passed my emissions on the 3rd go - 1997 80 with 230K in Boulder Co.. Running 265s, roof-rack, winch, front/rear bumpers, sliders.

Heres the pass results and comparisons for each try and last time passed (2yrs ago when truck purchased and new O2 sensors + 'special' "get-it-to-pass-stuff")

Pass, Fail, Fail, Pass, LIMIT
3rd, 2nd, 1st, 2 yrs,
HC .31, .28, .46, .19, 1.2
CO 6.56, 8.4, 13.7, 2.94, 15
CO2 831, 845, 803, 789, n/a
NoX 2.46, 3.17, 3.48, 2.3 , 3.0

To pass I dropped the timing to -3-0 (was 9-12) degrees, ran 3 gal E85 (had approx 5 gal of prem. gas '91 in there), ran some SeaFoam day before (1/3 thru PCV and rest in tank; some smoke but not that much), ran Lucas Fuel Cleaner some days before. Also ran car for an hr beforehand and was cool/wet driving. Had patched a small hole in Y section of downpipe.

On 1st Fail I had just regular gas, had run some fuel injector cleaner thru and did a good run (1hr) beforehand.

On 2nd Fail I had 3g prem. gas, dropped timing to 0-3 degrees, good run beforehand (1hr).

Rotor/distributor recently new, due an oil change, air filter not new but air-pressured clean, sparks recently new.

Happy not to have to go check/purchase new cats or spend more $

Hope that helps someone.

Brendan
in Longmont
Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

As many of you know...I'm not on the forum often any more. The little guy has taken over my life!!! (in a great way!)

I was cleaning up in the garage today and I found two O2 sensors from my '95 LC. When I changed them out, my cruiser did not have the check engine light on so I'm fairly certain these are still good. I passed emissions no problem with these sensor in about a year ago. I thought (mistakenly) that I might get better gas mileage if I put brand new ones in and I didn't know how old these were since I bought the truck used a year or so earlier.

Anyway, I thought these could be used for someone trying to diagnose their check engine issues. Maybe these could be used like other parts in the club that are free for people to borrow and pass along to others as people need to see whether their O2 sensor are the issue. So, if you need to try another set of O2 sensors to diagnose a code issue, PM me and you are welcome to them. You may have to re-use one of your gaskets as I think I only have one gasket for the pair of them. In addition, the nuts are mostly toast as I had to grind the sides of them to get a wrench to hold on them. These are Toyota O2s. Rather than spend $300 to see if the O2s are your issue, just bolt these bad boys on and try it out.

Paul
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"