Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Aren't the 80 series OEM air filters all washable? I've read that they are good for 10 or more washings and that ought to be at least 10 years worth, or close to it, eh?
Tim, fresh gas and some hiway miles to blow out the cobwebs sure wouldn't hurt. Also, it seems to me that with close to a 10% ratio of ethanol to petroleum fuel per gallon at the pump, adding heet or other water absorbing products is sort of overkill, isn't it?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Kevin what kind of tires are they- are they AT's? could I borrow them? My 255 Maxxis sounded like hell on those rollers, everyone in the place looked over to see what was making all the noise and shaking the earth when the guy had it up to speed... it got squirrely a couple times too I was worried he was going to lose it. Maybe a little less rolling resistance would be a good thing for the numbers too?
Stock Michellins on stock 97 80 wheels...I think... Of course you can borrow them....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Tim, just put your 35s back on and tell them that was how they tested it the first time through ...it worked for me They balked but measured them and they were under 34" mounted on the truck, so away he went
It ran better on the dyno with the 315s then it did using the 265s off my Taco or the 285s I had on 2 yrs ago.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I couldn't pass until I replaced my catalytic converters. Once they were both replaced, I passed with great scores. I also replaced both of the O2 sensors with OEM units.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

A long shot, but what about spending some good time on the highway before the e-test. Get that sucker nice and warm. Did this back in 08 after it failed the first time. Passed with flying colors after driving it on the highway the 2nd time.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 02-22-2010, 07:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Tim, do you have the Landtank mass air flow mod? I don't recall but if so cold that be causing a slightly lean mixture and higher combustion temps? Thinking out load and remembering how happy I am to not have to do tis every year like you front ranger folk.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Easy catalytic converter test, per BVB, is to get the engine up to temp and then run it for a minute or so at 1500 rpm. While at that engine speed with a temp gun check cat inlet and outlet temps. The post-cat temp should be something like 300 or more degrees farenheit higher than the inlet temps. If the inlet/outlet temps are similar, then the cats need to be replaced.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Easy catalytic converter test, per BVB, is to get the engine up to temp and then run it for a minute or so at 1500 rpm. While at that engine speed with a temp gun check cat inlet and outlet temps. The post-cat temp should be something like 300 or more degrees farenheit higher than the inlet temps. If the inlet/outlet temps are similar, then the cats need to be replaced.
Ok I think I've got one of those at work, so just point the dot at the exhaust pipe huh? If I can find the gun I'll report back what numbers I see. And yes Steve the new air filters are washable, but I have had questionable success with that.. usually the air gun doesn't blow all the dirt out, then the water just turns the dust to mud, then the whole thing looks terrible, especially when compared to a new one.

Yes I do have the Landtank MAF mod.. am hoping to get through this without undoing that though. My plan at this point is drive the heck out of the 80 for the rest of the week, and just hope I don't get pulled over again. On Saturday I'll clean out my tuna can, put in my new air filter, maybe wipe out some dust from inside the big air tube, Try to get 1/4 tank into new tank before the next test next Monday. If I fail again, then we'll have to get further into this, but I feel like I was so close to passing that I should probably just try to take the test again.

Maybe we'll have a new legislation about air quality in 2 years so I don't have to go through this again..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Well I did not pass today. I was turned away the first time with my 34.5 tires, because the paper said no tires over 34".
anyhow My NOX was 14.75. I was even allow to keep my car running to keep the cats hot, what a hoot. I used UB thermogun and saw that one cat was dead even in and out (584 degrees F) the other was 630 in and 700 out. Anyhow new cats on order, direct bolt in from Bosal on line for 200/per cat. So much cheaper than stock. I did not even want to mess with cut and weld yet. I want to build my own exhaust when I have time. Yes I could of gone with many other compaines that do a cut and weld, but I did want to retain the bolt in bolt out feature. Who know what will happen to the shells of the old cats.
Tim, carbon on top of pistons will also cause high NOX. It might be worth to pick up some additive that will help burn some of that off. Redline addtive will help, as will sea foam, and some of the other gas additives. Also running the piss out of with some additives will help. Like keep it in lower gears, higher RPM's will help.
You are not that far off in the grand schem of things.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

My 80 got tested not too long ago with the Landtank MAF sensor in it and passed just fine. NOx at 0.55, CO at 2.3, HC at 0.05. With both the NOx and CO high on yours, I'd bet on weak cats - although a functional EGR wouldn't hurt.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln