Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 09-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Moab Report-It was Great-Now I need parts

We got into Slickrock Campground about midnight Friday night. Saturday morning we hooked up with a few of the locals to run Poison Spider. We got to the very first obstacle and the Mule wouldn't climb it. The guy spotting me said "your left rear wheel isn't turning, use your locker". Well, I have a Lockright in the rear so I thought "UhOh" and sure enough I broke the drivers side rear axle. I'm not even sure when it happened. It either occurred as I made a sharp turn in the parking lot of the trailhead or even the week prior on Holy Cross. We never heard a sound. Fortunately, since I have disk brakes on the rear I could still drive without the wheel falling off so we got it back to the trailer. I found a replacement axle at Moab Outpost and by late afternoon the Mule was back up and mobile again.

We spent the next 2 days running back country trails with Crash and his friend Jack Bickers. What a treat. We'll get pictures of that posed up soon.

Now for the good stuff: On Monday we went with some folks we met and ran Moab Rim. The Mule was working great and the new tires were awesome. Everything was great until we came to the Z turn obstacle and I got off line and we did a slow flop onto the passenger side of the rig. The new tubing and body armor worked great. We winched it back on it's wheels and the only damage was the passenger side front turn indicator was crunched and a small dent in the side of the windshield frame. Other than scuffs in the paint on the tubing, not another mark any where. I backed down, moved over 2 feet to the left and she went up without spinning a wheel.

We were feeling pretty good until about 15 minutes later. We went over a very steep hill and there was a huge pot hole at the bottom. I would have normally taken it straight on but thought I would take the "easy" line until we settled down a bit. Well, I screwed up and didnt go far enough right. My left front slipped into the pothole and we very quickly went upside down again, this time a full 180 onto the top of the cage!

Once again we winched her back over, spent 20 minutes loading all of the crap back in that fell out of the back and the center console. The olf F motor lit right off with barely a puff of smoke. Once again the armor worked great and there was no body damage other than scuffed pait and now the left front turn indicator was toast too. That and my front hoop needs to be about 2" taller so my windshield frame was destroyed. We folded the windshield down and finished the rest of the run without further incident.

It was a great lesson to reinforce that you should always get out and look at any significant obstacle that is new to you, always ask for a spot from someone experienced with the obstacle, lock your center console lid and find better ways to store all of the crap you carry on runs. The only injuries were to my pride and Dee got a bump on the head when a can of WD40 in the center console fell on her head as she was crawling out.

So, if anyone has a decent windshield frame for a 1974 please let me know ASAP. If you have any front turn indicators let me know on those too but I have some others that will work for now.
Attached Images

Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Good thing is it looks like everyone is ok.....let me know if you need any help putting it back together as I have two hands to lend.

I think Marco might have a windshield and frame once he finds a late model replacement!

97 LX450
Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

40 abuse.

'85 FJ60
Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
40 abuse.
Yeah, ain't it great

Steve, I'll let you know once I find some parts, thanks for the offer.

I'm surprised no one has noticed my cool tire cover and how appropriate it worked out for the occasion...........
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 09-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Glad to hear you and Dee are ok. Hopefully it won't take long to find the parts needed to get the Mule back to like new condition. As you get ready to put it back together I'll lend a hand if I can. Sounds like it was a very good trip with some great wheeling. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

randy, started putting the word out on a frame for ya....i'll let you know what i find. as of now, i'm asking for either an early frame only, or later complete...let me know if marco finds something and trading is no longer an option.
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I'm very sorry Randy! Looks like Mule is built right as it took the "skid plate inspection position" quite well it appears. Way to properly abuse a 40!!!!! Is a '73 windshield frame the same as a 74? I think I have a red one floating around.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Is a '73 windshield frame the same as a 74?
yep
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Looks like fun! Glad all your armor served its intended purpose and protected everything and everybody.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Why bother replacing the windshield? Just cut the rest of the sheet metal off and tube that sucker out. Better yet, just buy a jeep to destroy.

'85 FJ60