Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 04-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

And thanks to Wes for leaving the rescue crew engine burritos (all were eaten) and Robbie for water and food. Plus Perry for the extra jacket which came in handy sleeping on the back seat.

Of course Green Machine for the fizzy beverage at the campfire!
Old 04-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

A few more vids.

Robbie in the FJ Cruiser and the wedge:

http://www.aspenstand.com/videos/robbie1.zip

and Joe going up whale rock:

http://www.aspenstand.com/videos/cts.mpg

I went out and checked the underside of the 40. This is the only damage that I am aware of...
Attached Images

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Last edited by treerootCO; 04-02-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

thanks to all !

Cheers
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

WHAT a day.

So I leave the house around 7:00am to get to the trailhead by 9:30am. At the fort, I run into Neil who's trying to load his pig on somones trailer. I stop to say hi, and end up helping with a bent trailer hinge pin. Back on the road, I meet up with lexus ben and Hans on 285. Ben then decides to show off his horsepower and leaves me in the dust.

Get to the trail head after getting 9mpg! and fill up. Tail gun the trail and spot when needed. When through the first entry chutes with no problem, only to make a of myself on whale rock.

Then Romer moves my truck and I felt like because I couldn't find it. After we get going with me in the front of the last group, my dog decides to go visit Uncle Ben at the end of the group, and we had to wait for his butt (skyler's) to catch up.

Then we get to the big hill and nathanial does his best dana 30 imitation and busts a rear axle. Did I mention that it's now 5pm? I head down to bridge the radio gap between the mid and rear group only to loose contact with the end group after we find out that it's a broken axle.

Head down the hill, hatfield runs for an axle in salida, and Dan and I make and solicit food for everyone so I don't have to give up my last sammich! Dan and I cook the chimis, and hatfield shows up with the axle.

Time is now around 8:30pm!

Uncle Ben, Ige and Nathaniel come down (leaving the 3 legged 60 on the hill) to find , hot chimis, and a axle waiting on them. They go back up the hill, (oh, did I mention that it has now snowed twice?) and proceed to fix the 60.

Axle goes in at around 10:30pm, and Kevin hits at around 11:45. I fall asleep in the tent, only to be woke up by my whimpering dog, as he is shivering like crazy, and wants in my sleeping bag. Back to the truck to get him warm and catch some more z's. Kevin and I hit buena vista around 8am to get MASSIVE breakfast burritos, and head out. I stop to air up at the truckstop and have to laugh as the sign flashes "welcome rising sun 4 wheel drive club".

So I head back 285, only to see the guy that was hauling spidey and his own rigs trailer on the side of the road. WTH?

It's 11:00am the sunday now.. Will this run EVER end?

So I pull over to see that they had a FLAT on the trailer. Help out what likttle I could, as he was almost done. Said they had left the trailer and went home in the Ram, and come back this morning.

I hit denver at 12:30pm....
Old 04-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Way to go John! You were extremely helpful on the trail, and very well prepared.

In fact, everyone from our club was well prepared, willing to help and respectful. The Cruiser team
told me they were very happy with the way this event went for such a large group on a trail like this.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Administrator

hijack - Red_Chilli - I came across this while admiring pics of your totally sweet runner. it looks like your u-bolts are loose here? maybe thats just the way they fit around the axles on runner?
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2006, 08:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

On the trailer that was hauling Spidey. Matt Farr, Chris & jennette and I saw them and pulled over. Their trailer had a flat and they had no spare. Spidey was going to go home and the other guys said they had it covered. They would either drive the 40 home and come back with a spare or wait till morning and get the tire fixed.

BTW John - I asked you before I moved your truck.

I had a great time. Still need to learn to go slower than I do at some things. There are time for momentum and times for crawling

Thanks eevryone for putting this on. Next time we will need some dynamite for that last obstacle.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 04-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks to all that showed up to this event. It is fun to see so many trucks on the trail at the same time. I do know that many did get to drive a new FJ, but many did not. Hopefully we(the fj team) will see the many that did not get drive the FJ at some event soon(moab, ghost town run, easter j**p safari, rubicon). Thanks Scott for leading the event and putting up with the FJ crew on the trail. You guys rock. I did have lots of fun driving the FJ and giving others the chance to drive this brand new truck on a hard trail.
I am sorry that Grocho broke a axle, and other did some minor body damage. We all learned stuff on the trail to take away with us. For me is that the crusier community is fun, interesting and giving. I am privilaged to be part of this community. Thanks much Robbie
Old 04-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

FJ badge photo
Attached Images

TLCA#4180
Old 04-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Doin' a little "rock crawling"
Attached Images