Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Sweet. Now you can hook up that electric blanket that Mead has always wanted....

exactly!
82 FJ40
Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Super sano, Marco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I did make a few compromises.. It has no fuses (god help me if there is a bad front end collision that severs cables), ...
I've been thinking about this as well. I used irrigation pipe to armor my 1/0, but with slight frame and body flex and not being able to see quite all the cable, the thought of the body coming into contact with the hot side is... I don't wanna think about it.

I have fuses in a box when I get the time to install. Probably after hunting.
Quote:
... I'm thinking that the ground cables were in seriously bad shape.
OFTEN ignored. Excellent grounding solves lots of problems... from headgaskets to rust (in the case of a friend's truck at least - weird!), as well as strange electronic behavior. It's like voodoo or possession or something. We operate in some pretty galvanic environments I think. I have seen STRANGE things (and no, not just as a miscreant teenager...).
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
the thought of the body coming into contact with the hot side is...
There is always some level of exposure. Winch cables aren't fused, right? You could crimp a 3 or so inch length of 6AWG/SXL between the post and end of the 1/0 cable as a fusible link.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 10-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Very nicely done. Dual batteries is coming up on my to do list. You've given me some more ideas.

How is your system different than the NL kit other than your "brain" can handle 300A where it looks like the NL can only take 85A. Correct me if I'm wrong there on current loads. Also did you hook up any in the cab controls for switching and/or the LED light described in the pdf for your relay?

I like the idea of building my own kit too as I'm heading in the direction of placing my 2nd battery under my truck using the Metal Tech battery tray that bolts up to my sliders. Keeping my center of gravity lower and less crap in the engine bay.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 10-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks guys!

The only big differences are the 300 amp continuous rating (1500 intemittent), and the fact that the second battery is not switched into the system untill the first one's voltage comes up. The NL kit keeps them separate after starting for a fixed amount of time, then joins them.

I didnt hook up the cab controls since I didn't care about being able to join them manually from inside the cab. The VSR has a manual switch on the box itself that switches it from off, to auto, to on. the switch forces it to be in any of those conditions no matter what the charge voltage is. I figured that the only time i'll need to mess with it is if the main battery goes flat, then its easy enough to pop the hood and flip the switch.

I didn't do the NL kit because I knew i'd want to upgrade cables, I liked the way the VSR worked a little bit more, and the VSR can handle general winching loads (didn't have to worry about it being on while winching). If you take the cables out of the equation the price of the VSR (I found it for $150) versus the NL solenoid ($140 from equipt) is not too far off, and the battery monitor would be used in either setup.

The cables are what really cost money...
82 FJ40
Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
There is always some level of exposure. Winch cables aren't fused, right? You could crimp a 3 or so inch length of 6AWG/SXL between the post and end of the 1/0 cable as a fusible link.
yeah.. I'm not toooo worried about it. I mean the cable to the starter is not fused in really anything i've seen before either.

Maybe we should grab a group 31 battery, charge it up, and short it out with some beefy cable. I wonder what would happen ?
82 FJ40
Old 02-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I am resurrecting this thread because
1) i found it incredibly useful
2) i have been sourcing the same VSR that Marco used and want to share my finding's on where these little Gem's can be procured...

Unfortunately i have not found any of the 300A ones on Ebay or Craigslist.... The 70A and 125A versions can be found at:
Amazon's , Defenders, and Delcity's websites..
The only place from the list of US distributors for BEP Marine products that had the 300A version were

Fisheries supply for $194.00
West Marine for $214.00

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/produ...ENSITIVE+RELAY

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10337

I went ahead and picked up one of the 2 that Fisheries supply had in stock....
West Marine's website indicates it is a "hot item" and they are currently out of stock...

Thanks again Marco!
KD0EXO

Last edited by Rock Dog; 02-25-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Now you need this. Here is what it does
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf battery_led.pdf (49.7 KB, 89 views)
Old 02-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

No problem, glad you found the thread useful!

My setup has been working really well and I have basically not touched it at all. I have winched a lot (combined), and run the spare battery down a bunch and it always performs well.

I never really touch it.

The only annoying thing is that the National Luna Charge display almost always shows an overcharge condition and beeps at me. I have to cancel the beeping a lot. I understand this is a common problem from looking around a bit online. Seems like their set point for the alarm is a bit low.

I have noticed that the 300A VSR's are hard to find. I guess I lucked out that I found that one on ebay...
82 FJ40
Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Also, I found out that I overpaid for the cables.....

Make them yourself or go to Hensley Battery and have some made up. It will save you some cash.

That monitor looks cool Christo
82 FJ40