Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Fall Moab Run

I'll start a new report so as to not step on Randy's thread on his recent adventures and misadventures in Moab. Would have posted earlier but we had our own misadventure on the way home this past Sunday.
Moab in the fall is a great place to be, first off. Way fewer people on the trails but, when exploring with Jack Bickers, seeing others that are sharing your trail is a rare thing, indeed. Jack and I did, on Tuesday, meet up with a lone bicycle rider way out on Spring Point who just happened to be from the Kansas City suburb that I grew up in a long time ago. Love those "small world" occurances and Jack was able to inform the rider as to where he was versus where he thought he was. The only other time we crossed paths was with the occasional ATV or motorcycle riders. Jack did have some difficulties assessing our location a couple of times because of all the new trails being created by bikes and quads that just can't seem to use the existing trails that are everywhere and go to the same places. Sound familiar?
The pics in this post are some that I took on the trail Sunday through Tuesday and I'll post up some from Thursday and Friday that Suzie took. It was fun taking Randy and Dee out with Jack on Sunday and Monday and I'm sorry to read about the flop and roll you guys. Glad no one was hurt. Our misadventure? Losing the engine in the 80 in Edwards on the way home Sunday afternoon. MANY thanks to Gary Coberly-Waggoner for helping retrieve the truck on Monday in some pretty shaky weather!!
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

bummer.. what happened to the 80?
TLCA#4180
Old 10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
bummer.. what happened to the 80?
I believe it's gas mileage went up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Losing the engine in the 80 in Edwards on the way home Sunday afternoon. MANY thanks to Gary Coberly-Waggoner for helping retrieve the truck on Monday in some pretty shaky weather!!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Steve, that sucks, sorry to hear that. Let me know when the time comes if you need a hand with fixing anything.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

Was it the silver 40th with the hood up? I drove by but there were no people? Good luck.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Engine will be fine and it is just one of those things that if you play, you gotta pay sometimes. Thanks for the offer of help, Randy.
Here are a few more pics from Suzie's camera. Jack took us into Arches National Park from the west side which used to be the main entrance a long time ago. It wasn't a difficult trail but it showed that if you wanted to see Arches, way back when, you had to work for it. The first thing you come to via this direction is Balanced Rock which always amazes me. It's going to cause a big thud one of these days. Oh yeah, entrance is free from this direction and going back out the same way is more fun that on the pavement. Our last day with Jack was spent exploring more of the high overlooks on the Green River near the east side of Bow Knot Bend. On Bow Knot Isle, you can still see mining equipment left many years ago and inaccessible now. Just like the miners of early Colorado days, the prospectors from this century for oil, gas and uranium went to great lengths to find what they were after. Most of the trails Jack likes to explore were created by these folks and to keep the trails alive is Jack's mission. We warmed up a few this trip with more trips to come.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

A few more pics for you. We saw the 70 Series just as it was entering Arches and didn't get a chance to visit - would like to have as they looked to be having a great time as were we. The full moon and sunset pics are at Jean Bickers' ranch that I stayed at for the week taking care of the farm animals.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Great pics -- wish I could have been there!

Funny -- one year when I was there with Karie, we started exploring a 4WD road that led off to the east. We didn't go that far, but I wonder if that is the road you guys came in on.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Looks like a great time Steve, I'm guessing you've got a good handle on this retirement gig.

I know a guy that lives by Jack in Moab, same street apparently. It's nice to wheel with folks that know the back side of Moab.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Range 4x4 View Post
Looks like a great time Steve, I'm guessing you've got a good handle on this retirement gig.

I know a guy that lives by Jack in Moab, same street apparently. It's nice to wheel with folks that know the back side of Moab.
Chris, it was a great time and if you like Moab, you owe it to yourself to learn more of what the surrounding areas offer besides the great trails that Cruise Moab and the Easter Jeep Safari offer. The National Parks and Monuments are saved areas that are set aside by our government for good reason but there are countless miles of trails that go pretty much untouched that hold every bit as much mystery and beauty with great reward for those that wish to explore and if you know an informed local that likes to share secret spots you are miles ahead of visitors just passing through.