Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-03-2006, 07:07 AM
arnoldrbrown

Default How It All Began

Motoring had started in earnest in the early days of the 20th Century. It was natural for car owners to form themselves into clubs, and there were good reasons. The conditions of the roads were abysmal at best, and only by some form of united pressure could motorists hope for improvement.

The main reason behind the formation of these early organizations was to make a stand against the antagonism shown to motorists by the public at large, the legislators and by the Police whose attitude was nothing short of outright hostility.

This was particularly true in Great Britain, because in 1895, the Locomotives on Highways Act restricted mechanically propelled vehicles to a maximum speed of six kilometers per hour (about 5 mph) on country roads and three kilometers per hour (about 2.5 mph) in built-up areas.

Car badges were introduced by the Automobile Association in March of 1906 to identify members and warn them of police speed traps up ahead. If the road was clear of police, the AA man would salute the driver if his vehicle displayed an AA badge. The practice was continued until the late 1960s.

Car badges are making a rapid comeback. It is a good way to dress up your car and show pride in your club membership at the same time.
A custom made car badge can also be a significant source of income for the club. The club orders the badges. Then, (if they so choose) the club makes a profit by selling the badges to the members, or anyone willing to help support the club.
There is a picture of the original brass AA car badge on my web site. www.arniebrown.com
Arnie Brown
Old 04-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Is this a sales pitch?

79' FJ40
98' 100 Series
TLCA #16134
Old 04-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Funny considering what I have going on in the members only section.

Normally i'd remove the spam but I think this might gain some interest on what I have going on.

If anyone that is not a member (yet) and is interested in the above PM me. It's a one time only 25 anniversary rising sun badge.
TLCA#4180