Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 10-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

I got home around 12 but want to say thanks also to Tim for putting on a great event. Thanks Robbie for the fire. Kept us all warm in the bursts of snow and wind we got. I was part of the group that got turned around and my SPOOKY run did not start till i started back down to the camp spot. As i was going along and sliding downhill towards trees i realized i was alone. The group that turned around was already half way back down and since i was on CB i slowly lost them. I know i was no alone out there but at the time i was. After the second or third slide towards trees going downhill the SPOOKY part came to life. I took my time to make sure i did not do anything stupid and had to get out and look at the one hole and i think a few other spots to take a look but never being on this trail and pitch dark with it getting colder made me think a bit. I got a hold of Tim finnally coming down the other side when i was about half way down. At the bottom i talked to Marco and thanks for waiting there. I know OCR was further down and we went back together. That helped since things look different at night and i had no clue where i was and how to get back. Nerves aside was a good time and good to see folks again. Glad to hear everyone made it home safely. RS rules! See everyone on the trails.

Kenny
Old 10-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default good to hear...

...about all the excitement! and I'm glad the "ghosts of chevy's past" didn't jump out and grab anyone amidst the sliding around.

Would have loved to been there...Due date is tomorrow for #2, so being out wheelin' was out of the question. Glad everyone is safe and has some great stories too!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yes thanks again for the sure took the edge off. And thanks to everyone who came out for the good food and great attitudes. The trail condition was a lot crazier than it was 2 weeks ago, and looking outside I'm afraid that could have been the last loop of the year up there.. I sure like that area though I have a feeling we'll be back

Chris I've got your handheld CB... you going to be at the next meeting? Or let me know if you want to hook up sooner.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Looking at those photos make me sad I missed the run.

Also looking at those photos makes me thing a canvas tarp might be a good idea to lay on in snowy/wet weather.

TLCA# 19853
1982 FJ60
1991 Toyota Paseo 38MPG baby
1995 JettaGLX VR6turbo project car
Old 10-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Jeanette and I had a great time. It was nice to meet a lot of new people. Thanks to Tim for organizing and thanks to Robbie for setting up the fire.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Rising Sun member

Here are some more pictures:
Staging Area:

Unveiling of Mendocino's FJ40!:

My dad and my old boss Gary yakking it up:

Wes and fam:

Driver meeting:

Marco and his new-to-him FJ40:

Driving up to the cookout site:

Night fell over the trucks while we were eating:

A smaller group headed up into the trees as the snow started to lightly fall:

My dad had a great time driving the 40! He was really impressed with the traction and how capable it was of crawling up the mountainside!

The bottom of the ill-fated hill!

Airing down minutes before the carnage!

Three wonderfully patient ladies (one is inside the FJC) while we were fixing what was broken!

Anchor, tool supplier, it has many different uses!

All is quiet on the western front...

Patiently awaiting the outcome...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

My my sir, what a nice strap you have! The rear anchor point is also impressive!

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Rising Sun member

I know I know, well it's worked ok for the past several years but it is quickly coming to the top of the to-do list. Just need an extra $1000-$1200 burning a hole in my wallet...or learn how to welder one up...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Matt, I don't think I've ever noticed your chopped ambulance doors. Those are pretty cool!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Since I had to shuttle a sleeping boy home and couldn't stick around for the repair, what was the final fix to allow him to limp home? I gather that you pulled the rear driveshaft and ran in FWD, but what did you remove and how did you secure the axles in the diff? Just interested in what works for if/when it ever happens to me.