Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default FJ40 rear recovery points

Ok, so Uncle Ben hit an insecurity...but it's okay. It's more like a kick in the butt for me to address something I've been ignoring for quite some time now.

My FJ40 needs rear recovery points. Right now it has a misshapen ill-fitting Smittybuilt-style double-tube rear bumper that I've been getting by with since I took possession of the rig. It's held up through several large tugs, but I really don't like it, it blocks some of my rear lights, and I have to loop a strap around it to pull on anything. It would be nice to shackle a strap to my rear end instead.

Problem is that most rear bumpers with recovery points seem to be at least $500 and include a tire carrier, and then work up from there.

Does anybody know of a rear bumper that is basically just square tube with recovery points that mounts to the rear crossmember?

Or what about those bolt-on shackle attachment points that MAF 4+ Plus used to sell (I emailed them and they no longer make them)? What are the cons of using something like that?

Are there any other decently good options for me to gain rear recovery points? I wouldn't mind tossing the rear bumper, but it would be nice to replace it with at least OEM bumperettes or something if I'm going to be running bumperless. Should I get a bolt-on pintle hitch in the middle and call it good?

Or bolt-on a 2" receiver and get a receiver shackle?

Thoughts, ideas? Looking for something coming in the $100 or less range if possible...
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Event Coordinator

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

You need what is on the back of my dad's and my 40. 4+ recovery points...not on their web page.

Here is their broken link: http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_acces...shacklerec.htm
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 10-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

A cross braced receiver is really all thats needed! Slip the end of the strap into the hole push the rated (no bolt or Chinese crap) pin back in and your set!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Welcome. Lots of "northsiders" here in the club. We're known to have some of the strongest, coolest and most awesome club members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 10-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
You need what is on the back of my dad's and my 40. 4+ recovery points...not on their web page.

Here is their broken link: http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_acces...shacklerec.htm
Yep they don't sell them. I'm leaning that way so I can mount them more-or-less inline with the frame, but it looks like I would have to have them fabbed. If I go that way I'll be getting dimensions from you However, you can't mount OEM bumperettes with that setup right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
A cross braced receiver is really all thats needed! Slip the end of the strap into the hole push the rated (no bolt or Chinese crap) pin back in and your set!
Cross-braced how? Span from the center of the frame out to each frame rail (parallel the stock rear corner gussets)?
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, OEM CDL switch, cup holder, and hand throttle, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Or bolt-on a 2" receiver and get a receiver shackle?

That thing is a rock finder. I smacked the one I had in Moab so much that I tweaked the rear cross member.

I had a bolt-on solution custom made for me that simply bolted to those 4 holes, with a place to slip a D-ring through. I'll see if I can find a picture.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
the club voted to not tell Matt Farr what happened at the meeting.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Event Coordinator

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Bam!

That pic is funny too...where is he going!?....yes he is on the road...
Attached Images

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Matt, I have a standard 5 ton pintle hook (and probably four grade 5 or 8 bolts to match) floating around if you want to use it until you figure out a better solution. Pintle hooks look cool and all that but I found it a lot less fun when it's roughly either knee or waist high...

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change." -- Heraclitus
Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

I think I have all of the bits to weld up something like what the 4+ thing was if you're initerested.
82 FJ40
Old 10-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Have you seen my rear bumper on the taco ? It's 2x4" 1/4" wall. With a flushed in 2" reciver and 2 x 25,000 lb weld on shackles. I've got less than 200 in it.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Lifted

Are you opposed to cutting through the rear crossmember? Sounds like you want to stay somewhat stock if you are asking if the bumperettes will stay? This is what I did to my rear crossmember. Although it is box tube, you could make it work with the stock crossmember. I know you will be fighting with those frame angled brackets that are riveted on, but aren't you an engineer?

I love having my receiver hitch and will use if for bike racks and eventually toting around a dirtbike trailer.