Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 11-01-2009, 08:19 AM
TIMZTOY's Avatar
TIMZTOY TIMZTOY is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,870
Default

Silver
__________________
TLCA # 20314
84 Hilux, 22re Conversion, 63" chevy rears, Rears up front, Bobbed bed, duel e-lockers, 5.29's, 35" Ground Hogs low compression
Step by Step Bed Bob
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Bikeman Bikeman is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Highlands Ranch
Posts: 685
Default

I liked the black 80 wheels better. I was going to comment on them at the Spooky but forgot. Shoot the Taco rims satin black or dark charcoal.
__________________
Mike


1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-01-2009, 09:58 AM
corsair23's Avatar
corsair23 corsair23 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Littleton
Posts: 8,697
Default

I like the contrast with the silver

Looks great Tim
__________________
Jeff Z. (the "not quite as skinny" one)
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 AM
nakman's Avatar
nakman nakman is offline
Rising Sun Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: north side
Posts: 9,787
Default

Martin it's an ARE, got it off CL in May. Bought the windoor separate from suburban toppers though so far just the driver's side, $250 each for those. how much weight can you put on a rack? I want to do a RTT, and have a design for one that isn't supported by the topper, more like one of those lumber things. I almost squished a fiberglass topper on our last taco, bringing some deck lumber home from the depot...

Mike I like your black rims on your 80 a lot.. have really thought of doing that on my 80 too. Still not sure what's best on the Taco here, will let it ride with silver for a while. and yeah we'll see how it all looks when I get a different bumper on there.
__________________
99 uzj100, 05 525EXC

www.gamiviti.com

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-01-2009, 04:27 PM
MDH33's Avatar
MDH33 MDH33 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Posts: 5,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Martin it's an ARE, got it off CL in May. Bought the windoor separate from suburban toppers though so far just the driver's side, $250 each for those. how much weight can you put on a rack? I want to do a RTT, and have a design for one that isn't supported by the topper, more like one of those lumber things. I almost squished a fiberglass topper on our last taco, bringing some deck lumber home from the depot...

Mike I like your black rims on your 80 a lot.. have really thought of doing that on my 80 too. Still not sure what's best on the Taco here, will let it ride with silver for a while. and yeah we'll see how it all looks when I get a different bumper on there.
The ARE toppers are supposed to have a high weight capacity and several people on ExPo have been running them with RTT's. I was asking Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters about it and he concurred. There is a big difference in stationary vs moving load, so a topper that can take a 200Lb moving load will be plenty strong to hold a tent and couple of people while parked. I'm going to get there "track system" which will let me add as many Yakima load bars as I see fit (3). I'll let you know how it works.

Also, when I called suburban topper this week, they quoted me $110 per side for the windoors.
__________________
--Martin
'85 FJ60
'05 Tundra
KDGWM
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-01-2009, 07:11 PM
nakman's Avatar
nakman nakman is offline
Rising Sun Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: north side
Posts: 9,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
The ARE toppers are supposed to have a high weight capacity and several people on ExPo have been running them with RTT's. I was asking Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters about it and he concurred. There is a big difference in stationary vs moving load, so a topper that can take a 200Lb moving load will be plenty strong to hold a tent and couple of people while parked. I'm going to get there "track system" which will let me add as many Yakima load bars as I see fit (3). I'll let you know how it works.

Also, when I called suburban topper this week, they quoted me $110 per side for the windoors.
Seriously? I would be psyched to skip the whole rack thing and just do Yakima bars.. I have bought those tracks before from Rocky Mounts in Boulder. And I think I've got enough towers & bars around.. is that a windoor price because you're buying a new topper and you just choose that window as an upgrade? That would make sense, but both times I've bought a replacement after the fact it was more like $250. I do still want a DS...


I'll do some expo searching.. will bring the truck on Wednesday.
__________________
99 uzj100, 05 525EXC

www.gamiviti.com

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 PM
rover67's Avatar
rover67 rover67 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boulder, Co
Posts: 5,142
Default

I liked the black wheels better, but that's just me. Allison makes fun of me because all I have is black spray paint and I still ask her what color I sould paint something.

I'm taking two sets of wheels to the powdercoaters this week....

They quoted me $35 a wheel...

I guess you'd have to dismount them again though.
__________________
Marco Capote
KDGWX
85 FJ60
82 FJ40
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Jacket's Avatar
Jacket Jacket is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 3,871
Default

I've seen a few running RTT's on a fiberglass shell - especially the smaller and lighter models. But you might see the sides of the shell flex, as well as the bedsides, over the long term. I'd prefer a steel rack myself, but realize that it $$.

I think that "HMR" on Expo has a Maggiolina mounted to his shell - that would be one example you could look into.
__________________
- Matt
1976 FJ40 - green and mostly stock
1996 FZJ80 - not so stock
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-02-2009, 11:38 AM
MDH33's Avatar
MDH33 MDH33 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Posts: 5,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I've seen a few running RTT's on a fiberglass shell - especially the smaller and lighter models. But you might see the sides of the shell flex, as well as the bedsides, over the long term. I'd prefer a steel rack myself, but realize that it $$.

I think that "HMR" on Expo has a Maggiolina mounted to his shell - that would be one example you could look into.
A Maggiolina is a lot heavier than my ARB tent plus the tents that open "like a book" and have a ladder, distribute some of the weight off the top. I think my tent weighs less than 100Lb, so I'm not worried about it stressing the top. I thought about an external rack of some sort, but Kim doesn't want it looking like a contractors rig.
__________________
--Martin
'85 FJ60
'05 Tundra
KDGWM
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-02-2009, 12:37 PM
nakman's Avatar
nakman nakman is offline
Rising Sun Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: north side
Posts: 9,787
Default

I poked around Expedition Portal last night and found one guy who say his fiberglass cracking, another who said just a topper was causing the bed to spread. I've been working on an idea for an external frame that hopefully won't look like a contractor, but the dilemma is how to get it sturdy enough to not flex or move, yet keep it sleek enough to not just be a contractor ladder rack. The other downside to those is how far out they stick, when I had a 2wd Taco I had one and was always catching my hip on it.

My other thought is just scrap that idea, and instead do an internal support cage of some type-so you've got a couple bars below the rack rails, and some legs that run down to the wheel wells/truck bed? In that situation your topper isn't really doing anything other than acting like a fiberglass washer for your RTT support system, and keeping the load from swaying side to side.... but all the load is transferred down to the truck bed. I kind of like this idea better.
__________________
99 uzj100, 05 525EXC

www.gamiviti.com

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.