Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'm not sure it would even have to sit on the wheel wells. Tying a rib to the bed rail with a bolt through a plate would achieve the reinforcement you're looking for. I'm not sure that the amount of force you're talking needs that much. OTOH, I guess when the kiddos get a little bigger and you end up with the biggest Eezi-Awn that could be a few hundred pounds up there. So maybe that is necessary. It could be pretty simple if aesthetics be damned. A big ol' square hoop bolted to the floor and the ceiling...

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 11-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
here's the thread where the guy mentions cracking, not sure if it's ARE though http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=28567
He got stress fractures with 100Lbs of gear and a rack on his topper ...While doing the Rubicon... ! I'm not going to worry about it since my rig will never see anything as hairy as the Rubicon.
KDGWM
Old 11-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have the same rim/caliper concern you did. I think the narrow rims make the tire stand up taller and add to the clearence. I don't have proof other then the way it looked before and after I went to wider rims.

I am considering returning mine to Discount..they are going to hate me....Maybe they will let me just trade the rims for new tires...
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 11-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
He got stress fractures with 100Lbs of gear and a rack on his topper ...While doing the Rubicon... ! I'm not going to worry about it since my rig will never see anything as hairy as the Rubicon.
I don't see the difference. Rubicon is a long bumpy road done at extremely low speeds... the suspension gets a workout, the frame flexes a little, does the bed even move? How much flex would the topper see then? You'll be in just as bumpy situations driving Colorado fire roads and mountain passes. Smacking the topper into roots and rocks on tight corners is optional..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
the suspension gets a workout, the frame flexes a little, does the bed even move? How much flex would the topper see then?
Our 3 days on the Rubicon put as much wear and tear on my WilderNest as a year or two of regular duty, forgetting the major tree-topper mistake. My 'Nest had a lot more little fractures in the gel coat (this happens normally, so I do gel coat clean up occasionally) after the Rubicon and my bed developed a couple of new cracks and the bed walls splayed out noticeably more after the trip. Martin is right on that rock crawling does cause more fiberglass stress than regular trips. The bed on your pickup flexes a heckuva lot more than the body or cab. Watch it in your rear view with wheeling it, as the frame twists the bed twists up a lot. Also anytime the rear bumper or sliders impacts it sends shock up through the truck and vibration and impacts are not good on fiberglass. If the suspension is the only part working (i.e. minimal back bumper impacts in particular) all that is a lot of a factor on the fiberglass.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 11-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have an RTT and I love it but I think for hard wheeling events, it will stay in the garage or on a trailer..if that ever happens.

The weight is a factor in tippy situations, stress aside on whatever you are mounting it on, the weight will play a role in how your rig handles in tippy areas..

So I guess what I am saying is you might want to really, really be convinced you will want an RTT that bad before you pull the trigger..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 11-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Chris I've already got the RTT, so does Martin.. so the decision to get one is kind of moot. For him it's using it again for the 101th time, while for me it's trying to find a way to use it the first time. My 80 is just too impractical for it, IMO... one it's so high it's tough to lift and install the thing, also no way I could drive into the garage... and the ladder is too short so I'd have to buy an extension.. and oh yeah the weight on top (see the November RS calendar picture for what that can feel like). http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=11249

Now the Taco OTOH is low enough that I am pretty sure I can still get in the garage with the RTT on, and that IMO is significant. I have used the "drive in with a coke bottle on the roof" method of testing, with good results. Also it doesn't flex as much as the coil sprung 80, and has a longer wheel base, both of which make the higher weight more manageable. It's already as high as it's going to be, for bigger trails I'll take the 80.

So if I piece the arguments above together, we'll see cracking on an unsupported topper with RTT after the Rubicon, or we'll see cracking after a year or two of "normal" duty? Not sure why either one is acceptable, and I'm still leaning towards the internal cage. when you flip up that windoor there's only like 3" of material in the corner (see picture above with the duct tape), and I just don't know enough about fiberglass to trust it that much, seems really weak to me, just a little more than cosmetic IMO.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

So you bought the TACO to be able to use your RTT??? You are a man after my own heart...I know I am in the right club.....jk

I have an extension if you ever need to borrow it. Not sure if it will work with your style RTT, but it is worth a try if you needed it..
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 11-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Hey I've also got an FJ40 tailgate in the back yard, have moved it twice now. Yes one day I'll find a way to use it..

But I got one of the first generation cheapo Mombassa's.. later got the upgraded aluminum ladder, but don't have it installed.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I totally see your point, Tim, and do not disagree that adding some kind of internal support system would be better. But, in the spirit of keeping it simple and being cheap, I'm still going to try it on just the fiberglass top first and see how it goes.

Plus, I seen it on the inter-net, it must be OK!

KDGWM