Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Chris I've already got the RTT, so does Martin.. so the decision to get one is kind of moot. For him it's using it again for the 101th time, while for me it's trying to find a way to use it the first time. My 80 is just too impractical for it, IMO... one it's so high it's tough to lift and install the thing, also no way I could drive into the garage... and the ladder is too short so I'd have to buy an extension.. and oh yeah the weight on top (see the November RS calendar picture for what that can feel like). http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=11249

Now the Taco OTOH is low enough that I am pretty sure I can still get in the garage with the RTT on, and that IMO is significant. I have used the "drive in with a coke bottle on the roof" method of testing, with good results. Also it doesn't flex as much as the coil sprung 80, and has a longer wheel base, both of which make the higher weight more manageable. It's already as high as it's going to be, for bigger trails I'll take the 80.
I am in the same boat, basically. I have the 150 lb. Eezi Awn 1600 (bigger than queen size bed) with nothing to put it on. My cruiser is too high (6" lift) to put it on top for all the reasons you stated. Prob. is, you have the truck already to mount it on, and I don't!

I say go with the load bars on the cab and forget about eventually ruining your topper. You'll spend as much for the topper reinforcements as you will scrounging up load bars, towers, and Q-clips.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 11-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
I am in the same boat, basically. I have the 150 lb. Eezi Awn 1600 (bigger than queen size bed) with nothing to put it on. My cruiser is too high (6" lift) to put it on top for all the reasons you stated. Prob. is, you have the truck already to mount it on, and I don't!

I say go with the load bars on the cab and forget about eventually ruining your topper. You'll spend as much for the topper reinforcements as you will scrounging up load bars, towers, and Q-clips.
Thought about that, but the RTT would stick out in front like a sun visor. Not that it's aerodynamic at all further towards the back, but I at least want some type of ramp to reduce the drag. I ultimately like that red one Martin put up, but with the basket over the cab like that red Hilux that's all ARB'd out.. .

edit: also want the Marlin bumper, and the snorkel, and the sunroof...
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 11-03-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

To further hijack Tim's thread:

About the same price as a nicely set up ARE topper, rack and top-of-the line-RTT.

Flip Pac:

Old 11-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Dude there's no hijackin, I'll just keep changing the thread title to suit. Yeah you should get a flip pac..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I ultimately like that red one Martin put up, but with the basket over the cab like that red Hilux that's all ARB'd out.. .

edit: also want the Marlin bumper, and the snorkel, and the sunroof...
yeah, that one is set up nicely.

AllPro
bumper, I think.

Quote:
Dude there's no hijackin, I'll just keep changing the thread title to suit. Yeah you should get a flip pac..
Very Tempting.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Rising Sun Commander

[quote=MDH33;124501]yeah, that one is set up nicely.

AllPro
bumper, I think.

Oh you're right, Marlin's stick up a little higher on the side http://www.marlincrawler.com/armor/r...ma-rear-bumper

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Commander

slight turn of events, but here's a guy looking for a Wildernest or Flip Pac.. http://denver.craigslist.org/wan/1450741226.html

Dave don't you have 2 or 3 extra nests laying around?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

What about something like Matt's (Jacket) soft top but the frame under neath is large tubular type and will hold the RTT weight?? I guess not as secure as the fiberglas tops...

you guys have probably already discussed..I will just sit down now and be quiet...

Hey Martin, did that picture with the surfboards say where that surf spot was??
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 11-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post
What about something like Matt's (Jacket) soft top but the frame under neath is large tubular type and will hold the RTT weight?? I guess not as secure as the fiberglas tops...

you guys have probably already discussed..I will just sit down now and be quiet...

Hey Martin, did that picture with the surfboards say where that surf spot was??
Surf spot was somewhere in Baja.

Regarding the CanBack soft tops that can hold a RTT, I like them a lot but everything I've read about their customer service and wait times to get the tops turned me off. I also looked at a Tacoma that had one installed, and the material had shrunk so much that it no longer closed on the sides. Plus, like you mentioned, the security of the fiberglass top is a big benefit when you have all your gear back there.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

nice