Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Yes I like the added security of a real topper that locks, but that's not the real reason. Big point for me is the ease of access a real topper provides- it's super easy to flip up a window to grab something, you can even do it with one hand while the other holds a kid. But it's a real pain in the butt to unzip, unsnap, or pull something out of a channel, etc.. and even harder to close it back up. I really dislike soft tops for that reason, and any time I've had one found myself using it less because of it, or going around it (like I used to load the dog, boy, groceries, etc. in over the front seat of the 40 instead of undoing the back because the back was such a pain to undo).

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

The zippers don't bother me, but security when traveling has been an issue, which is why I started shopping for a hard shell. Not sure I'll get it this year, but it's still on the radar.

That said, the soft top advantages are similar to those with a 40: very easy to remove or fold down to enjoy the benefits of a topless rig/bed.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Rising Sun Commander

think you could find a place on the frame in back to bolt a pair of these? http://denver.craigslist.org/for/1427374100.html One of the main complaints about RTT life is the whole truck's a rockin, don't come a knockin thing.. these would be pretty cool don't ya think? http://denver.craigslist.org/for/1427374100.html

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

After using our double cab for camping all week, I've determined we need a taller topper. I had gear stacked to the ceiling and it made loading/unloading at camp a chore. I also could not fully open my Engel 45 fridge all the way, which made retrieving tricky. Looking at the ARE website, it looks like the MX topper would be a good choice. It might be better for supporting the RTT on a rack since it has a lot more fiberglass on the pillars and around the windows. Glad I had a shake down with the current low topper before I ordered the new one.

Something like this bolted to the side of the taller topper would keep the load bars low and distribute weight:

Last edited by MDH33; 11-25-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Those little bolt-on rain gutters are the worst option, IMO. the rails that bolt to the top can at least spread the load a little, but those little bolt-on gutters are going to put everything onto those two little holes you drilled in the fiberglass. I have had those before, and they cracked the topper, though by the PO so I don't know for sure what he put up there. they just seemed really weak, that's all.

As for topper height, yes having the taller one is nice, particularly since it's easier to sit up in back. My 2wd taco had one, and I liked it a lot. But I think when you get your new topper with windoors you'll find you're crawling in the back a lot less often, so it won't be as big of an issue.

I'm thinking of starting with a simple outside rack system like this one http://www.realtruck.com/kargo_maste...911P1C1T.html# then cut off what I don't want, add to it as I see fit, try to get it as low as possible. I will have fun making my own custom elbow brackets, etc.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

I was just going to suggest a ladder rack of some sort. Then all your RRT weight would be transferred to the bed bypassing the topper.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think it will be hard to find a ladder rack that will fit a double cab Taco and allow the windoors to open. Plus I still have the stipulation that it cannot look like a contractor truck.

I was thinking that the false raingutter mount with the 4 bolts would be ok if I use 6 total and three load bars if I use a big backing plate when I bolt them on. The rails on top will make the rack sit even higher, and if I go with the rails and 3 bars, it's going to cost ~$450 vs $120 for the plates since I already have the raingutter towers and bars.

We'll see what happens.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Came across this website for a guy building a similar rig. He used the interior supports for the tent like Tim and Dave were talking about. He's going to design a deck/storage system in the bed using the interior supports (aluminum). Intriguing idea.

http://www.ramdough.com/Mods.htm
Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Came across this website for a guy building a similar rig. He used the interior supports for the tent like Tim and Dave were talking about. He's going to design a deck/storage system in the bed using the interior supports (aluminum). Intriguing idea.

http://www.ramdough.com/Mods.htm
Wow, cool! I need to meet that guy.. yes that's a lot like what I was thinking a couple pages ago.. dang now I'm thinking of reversing directions again.

One thing I struggle with on the interior supports is how much room does that take up- once you get the fridge on one side, how much room does that leave you for a drawer?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Wow, cool! I need to meet that guy.. yes that's a lot like what I was thinking a couple pages ago.. dang now I'm thinking of reversing directions again.

One thing I struggle with on the interior supports is how much room does that take up- once you get the fridge on one side, how much room does that leave you for a drawer?
His supports going straight down do take up some room, but you're idea of forming them closer to the contours of the topper would address that I think, but would require some more material. I was thinking that he could have built up a platform first that the drawer and fridge would be under/in, then run the supports up.

Yep, fun to brainstorm, and even more fun to design/build it.