Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Vail Shooting, no it wasn't me.

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/200...ntProfile=1062

I've seen that guy walking through town countless times. I think he worked for the forest service. or at least he had a US forest hat.

It's getting dangerous at 8150ft.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Lifted

Very sad news.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

That is tragic.
Quote:
Lewis' husband, Richard, said the gun appeared to be an automatic pistol.
I can just about promise you it wasn't. Semiautomatic, yes. Hopefully it won't become an 'assault weapon' as the story reiterates.

I really cannot think of a solution to how we handle or relate to the mentally ill in our nation. But it is an open social wound.

Whether a gun, a knife, or some other weapon, tragedy on many levels.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
That is tragic.

I can just about promise you it wasn't. Semiautomatic, yes. Hopefully it won't become an 'assault weapon' as the story reiterates.

I really cannot think of a solution to how we handle or relate to the mentally ill in our nation. But it is an open social wound.

Whether a gun, a knife, or some other weapon, tragedy on many levels.
Very well stated Bill. Sometimes it just hits you the enormity of the problem, especially here in the US. I am a multiple gun owner but I'm not so blind to see that such easy access to firearms doesn't come without an enormous cost at many levels.

It's sad that these events happen daily, if not multiple times a day, and we've become numb to it. I know I have.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccumber View Post
... I am a multiple gun owner but I'm not so blind to see that such easy access to firearms doesn't come without an enormous cost at many levels.

It's sad that these events happen daily, if not multiple times a day, and we've become numb to it. I know I have.
I think one of the issues is that we don't have complete visibility to the data. Yes, shootings are widely reported, but the defensive use of firearms is barely reported. It is difficult to make an informed decision without availability and transparency with respect to the data.

[Edit: I guess we now have to move this to the new thought sequestered section of the new-and-improved-kinder-gentler RS board]

Last edited by Mendocino; 11-08-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI_VF...=youtube_gdata

This guy was on welfare, taking drugs for PTSD from Vietnam, obviously drinking and was upset he could not find a place to live in Vail, skied 150 days a year. Duh, we'd all love to live in a place like Vail but not everyone can afford it, particularly unemployed people on government disability. I'd love to be able to ski 150 days a year but I have to work, whoa is me. It's a tragedy for the family and friends of person he murdered, but I don't feel sorry for this jackass if he can't deal with reality. If he had PTSD then he should have been in therapy and last I checked the VA doesn't have a hospital in Vail.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 11-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
I think one of the issues is that we don't have complete visibility to the data. Yes, shootings are widely reported, but the defensive use of firearms is barely reported. It is difficult to make an informed decision without availability and transparency with respect to the data.

[Edit: I guess we now have to move this to the new thought sequestered section of the new-and-improved-kinder-gentler RS board]
In one pragmatic breath I can say that it is foolish to think we could remove guns from the criminals but in the next pragmatic breath is also extremely naive to believe that the near daily mass killings aren't a horrific cost we're paying.

I own guns because I believe that it is a necessary check on tyranny. I own guns because bad people do. I own guns because we are a natural or man-caused event away from anarchy and I want to be protected.

Unfortunately, nothing is black and white and to argue from that position is what happens far too often in our comical polarized society. Acknowledge the reality and possibly think about what could be done while still observing *our* realities.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Not yet.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Not yet.
OK Big Brother.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
OK Big Brother.
Glad I can help.

Name:  obey_icon_h_150.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  39.1 KB

1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.