Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Rear locker "quagmire"...

So the fun begins....93 80 series, factory locked. Well the rear wouldn't engage. I have tried all the testing, driving in circles, 9 volt battery test that I could do without tearing into the actuator. Finally decided to saturday before the snow. Upon opening the cover...a light red silt started to pour out... grrr...once pulled about 2 cups of rust/silt dirt came out.

I'll admit I'm not the smartest man in the world, but I'm pretty sure rust/sand pouring from the actuator isn't some secrect "c-dan" magic OEM part number we don't know about.

So upon trying to get the whole assemble off, I managed to bust the two lower mounting tabs on the unit... great...it's now officially fooked. Only two bolts holding it in/snug.

So here are my options as I see it.

A. Purchase new actuator unit ~$600 from C-dan...ouch

B. Purchase Downey cable kit ~$130

C. Steal working actuator off of wifes 80 series ~$I don't even want to speculate that cost...

Any other options??? ARB is out because I could buy an actuator for the price of a locker. Thoughts?
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 03-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

What I would do....."borrow" the wifes actuator untill you can source parts or rebuild yours. Also, Christo has some used locker parts and also might have insight on where to find what ya need. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen
So the fun begins....93 80 series, factory locked. Well the rear wouldn't engage. I have tried all the testing, driving in circles, 9 volt battery test that I could do without tearing into the actuator. Finally decided to saturday before the snow. Upon opening the cover...a light red silt started to pour out... grrr...once pulled about 2 cups of rust/silt dirt came out.

I'll admit I'm not the smartest man in the world, but I'm pretty sure rust/sand pouring from the actuator isn't some secrect "c-dan" magic OEM part number we don't know about.

So upon trying to get the whole assemble off, I managed to bust the two lower mounting tabs on the unit... great...it's now officially fooked. Only two bolts holding it in/snug.

So here are my options as I see it.

A. Purchase new actuator unit ~$600 from C-dan...ouch

B. Purchase Downey cable kit ~$130

C. Steal working actuator off of wifes 80 series ~$I don't even want to speculate that cost...

Any other options??? ARB is out because I could buy an actuator for the price of a locker. Thoughts?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

cable it. I was going to respond on mud, but I didn't want to deal with the responses
Old 03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

You might be able to find one on car-part.com. The search doesn't have the actuator specifically, but you can look at differentials and make some calls if you really want to keep the "e" function.

I took a quick peek and seems to be expensive...but I found a 1998 4Runner rear axle with e-locker for Jeep project for $675 delivered to my door.

Nay
Old 03-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the replies...the cable is the most cost effective rather than stealing it off my wife's 80 series lol. With my luck, I'd rather not even try to take it off of hers...I'd get it on the jackstands then...

I talked with Slee and they are going to look and see if they can find a used one that isn't spoken for.

Downey is $175.00 and you guessed it, backordered...for a few weeks is what the guy told me...hmmm.

I guess I'll have to wait a few weeks to see. If not I'll be selling my firstborn. She's a cute 4 year old, tall for her age, polite and could easily be taught to mow, wash dishes, pick weeds, wash cars, etc...
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 03-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

It appears I have an option D: or 4

SOR have used working ones for ~$300. Sound like a good option or no? At least at this point I could have a way to return the part if it didn't work, unlike some yards. Hmmmm...
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 03-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
It appears I have an option D: or 4

SOR have used working ones for ~$300. Sound like a good option or no? At least at this point I could have a way to return the part if it didn't work, unlike some yards. Hmmmm...

Are you certain your old one cannot be rebuilt?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
Are you certain your old one cannot be rebuilt?
Oh yeah, it looks as if it's been sitting on the ocean floor next to the titanic. Literally all rusted and crusty...EXTREMELY ugly...not too mention I broke the mount on the bottom two bolts. problem is you can't get any parts, just the whole unit from Toyota. me thinks this is gonna be $$$$
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 03-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, it looks as if it's been sitting on the ocean floor next to the titanic. Literally all rusted and crusty...EXTREMELY ugly...not too mention I broke the mount on the bottom two bolts. problem is you can't get any parts, just the whole unit from Toyota. me thinks this is gonna be $$$$
Ya, I found that out too after crushing the cover on a rock. The cover is now welded and JB welded back together. A mini skid plate is in the near future!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
Ya, I found that out too after crushing the cover on a rock. The cover is now welded and JB welded back together. A mini skid plate is in the near future!

Hmmm...and it seems to be holding fine? Hmmm...I just don't know that I could ever clean mine enough to get all that damn rust out.
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride