Send a message via AIM to wesintl
Question Embrace the simple life?

Did anyone read this article.

Kinda interesting.

http://www.denverpost.com/frontpage/ci_13843274
TLCA#4180
Old 11-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

I heard about that guy a while back. They definitely romanticize the situation, which has to be a somewhat rough and lonely life. Certainly magnifies the amount of usable waste us humans generate.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Trail Ready

That's profound.

What's the line from Fight Club?

What you own comes to own you.

Sold the Gnewt.
Bought a boat.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have met this guy during CM 08 when Jay and I needed to fix my truck. We were behind the parts shop and he was digging through the trash. He stopped and commented on my rig and we BS'd about stuff for about ten minutes. Cool guy, never knew his lifestyle till now. Would have been very interesting to sit down with him and talk about it face to face.

Maybe we'll see him again this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 11-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

His "lifestyle" will continue to work as long as he's the only one. Imagine how "successful" he'd be if a couple dozen people reading his story decide to try it. Every town seems to have a guy like this. I don't find it admirable at all but digging through trash suits some people better than others.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Wow, what a cool story. I'd love to simplify my life, but I don't see it coming anytime soon. I don't think I'd ever live out of a dumpster or completely give up money. I like a warm bed on a cold night. It's worth noting that he's out there alone, too.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Rising Sun member

I could have a little more respect for him if he was living off the land; the fact that he's living off the trash of the economy and culture that he's renounced is something of a paradox in my mind.

My dad has a video of a guy who retired when he was 55 or so, moved to Alaska, built his own cabin with a few simple tools, and apart from a bush pilot flying in a little supplies here and there during the summer he was completely self-sufficient out in the wilderness. Lived there until he was 80 some-odd and got tired of the -40F degree winters and 12 feet of snow, so he moved back to the lower 48. But for about 30 years he was on his own.

This guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

he had a video camera and took shots of himself performing various tasks. Now that it's all edited he actually did a pretty good job.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
It's worth noting that he's out there alone, too.
He's not alone, everyone in town knows him, the cops ignore his rummaging through the trash, etc. When it gets cold and he mooches off people in warmer climates. Like Matt said, he's not self-sufficient. Throw in words like "spiritual" and "philosophical" and it makes it sound so much more admirable.

As I said earlier, every town seems to have someone like this but they rarely make the newspaper. Usually they're called the "town bum" which is all he is.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

so you can call him a bum that's fine but I think it's a little bit more complex than that. The way he chose this vs falling into it etc. I tend to think most bums would accept money too. Maybe he's just and eccentric bum.

It would be awful hard to live off the land in moab imho, you can just live off others. Alaska I could see.

It just seems a little bit more dynamic than just your average bum though.Of course I don't really know any
TLCA#4180
Old 11-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I could have a little more respect for him if he was living off the land; the fact that he's living off the trash of the economy and culture that he's renounced is something of a paradox in my mind.

My dad has a video of a guy who retired when he was 55 or so, moved to Alaska, built his own cabin with a few simple tools, and apart from a bush pilot flying in a little supplies here and there during the summer he was completely self-sufficient out in the wilderness. Lived there until he was 80 some-odd and got tired of the -40F degree winters and 12 feet of snow, so he moved back to the lower 48. But for about 30 years he was on his own.

This guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

he had a video camera and took shots of himself performing various tasks. Now that it's all edited he actually did a pretty good job.
Have you read the book about him?
One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey (ISBN 0-88240-513-6)

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!