Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Range 4x4 View Post
He's not alone, everyone in town knows him, the cops ignore his rummaging through the trash, etc. When it gets cold and he mooches off people in warmer climates. Like Matt said, he's not self-sufficient. Throw in words like "spiritual" and "philosophical" and it makes it sound so much more admirable.

As I said earlier, every town seems to have someone like this but they rarely make the newspaper. Usually they're called the "town bum" which is all he is.
I think Matt means that his chances of getting a date are fairly slim. That kind of "alone"...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 11-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
so you can call him a bum that's fine but I think it's a little bit more complex than that. The way he chose this vs falling into it etc. I tend to think most bums would accept money too. Maybe he's just and eccentric bum.

It would be awful hard to live off the land in moab imho, you can just live off others. Alaska I could see.

It just seems a little bit more dynamic than just your average bum though.Of course I don't really know any
He's made the choice to live off the grid thanks to everyone else's choice to live on it. He simply lives off everyone's trash and generosity. I know a guy who has chosen the same lifestyle except that he works periodically to feed his friends who he lives with under a bridge. Much more commendable IMHO. If any reporter approached him to do an article about him he'd shoo them away simply because he's rejected all of the mainstream. I know another guy who lives the same way in Mexico but since many live that way down there he's just another scavenger.

I guess I'm not big on idolizing one guy because of where he lives and demonizing another for the same reason.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:32 PM

I'm with FrontRange on this one.

It's also a bit hypocritical to live off the byproducts of a capitalistic society whilst denouncing it.

2004 Audi A4: 4 RINGS
1981 FJ60: 6 LEAKY RINGS

--KG4JJW--
Old 11-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
I guess I'm not big on idolizing one guy because of where he lives and demonizing another for the same reason.
huh.. who's doing that?
TLCA#4180
Old 11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

The article presents this guy as a rather admirable fellow.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Odd, because you seem to be demonizing him.

Sold the Gnewt.
Bought a boat.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

If you see it as that I'm okay with it.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
I think Matt means that his chances of getting a date are fairly slim. That kind of "alone"...
Yup, exactly. He's not sharing his cave with any hot babes. That's definitely a deal breaker in my book.

Quote:
He's made the choice to live off the grid thanks to everyone else's choice to live on it. He simply lives off everyone's trash and generosity.
I agree: he's not self sufficient. But so what? He's not hurting anyone. If he wears clothes from the trash and eats food from the trash, all he has done is reduced the amount of trash going into a landfill by a very tiny amount.

Quote:
I know a guy who has chosen the same lifestyle except that he works periodically to feed his friends who he lives with under a bridge. Much more commendable IMHO.
The guy you know is more deserving of respect because he lives under a bridge and occasionally does odd jobs for money -- compared to the Moab guy who lives in a cave and occasionally does odd jobs for NO money?

I don't idolize the Moab guy, but I don't demonize him either. It's an interesting story about a guy who chose to live a very unusual lifestyle. He had other options. Many people who live under a bridge don't have a University of Colorado degree in anthropology.

Jon Krakauer's book "Into the Wild" (also a movie) was about a young, very educated kid who did a similar thing and cast off the rules of society. It ended badly for him, but his story connects with some truths that many people agree with. He lived a life that I long for.

These stories are popular because there are many of us, especially in this club, who don't see today's structured society as the pinnacle of the way a man should live. I sit in an office breathing filtered air staring at a computer screen 8-10 hours a day, except when I'm sitting at a conference table at a meeting. I don't know how to herd cattle or make bricks. I've never built a house from the ground up. These are things that perhaps a man should do.

My dreams are certainly not about living in a cave with no money, electricity or female companionship. However, the Moab Cave Guy (MCG) recognized that his life wasn't working for him, had the cojones to make a dramatic change, and found peace. I think that's worthy of respect.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
Have you read the book about him?
One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey (ISBN 0-88240-513-6)
I have his book, if anyone wants to borrow and read it. Dick Proenneke worked for years up in Alaska as a heavy equipment operator and basically just walked away from it one day to homestead. He was 50 when he did it. Had something to do with the union and being pressured to do things and hire people he didn't want.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 11-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Deleted by me...

Last edited by Chris; 11-23-2009 at 09:41 PM.