Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
Have you read the book about him?
One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey (ISBN 0-88240-513-6)
There is a program on PBS that airs upon occasion. Runs like a documentary and is quite inspiring.

I have often thought about monastic life, but the religious structure no longer appeals to me. So self-imposed hermitage is the current eventual fantasy.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I do agree that living off of other people's trash doesn't exactly make you special. But whatever, who wouldn't love to camp in Moab all the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Jon Krakauer's book "Into the Wild" (also a movie) was about a young, very educated kid who did a similar thing and cast off the rules of society. It ended badly for him, but his story connects with some truths that many people agree with. He lived a life that I long for.
that's actually a pretty good movie, we got it from Netflix a little while back. The highlight for me was he meets this older dude in Arizona who drives a pristine early Bronco.. as if I didn't already lust after those things..

It was sad though in the end when he dies from eating the wrong plant... then you kind of realize it may actually be a good thing to be able to hit 911 on the cell phone.

Anyway I have often thought if I ever come down with severe Alzheimer's, dementia, or some other disease that makes me unpleasant to be around just sell some of my stuff and get me some gear and drop me off in a place like that in Alaska or somewhere... or plop me in a canoe and shove me off... I'll figure the rest out. wouldn't ever happen now that I have a family to support, but the fantasy of escaping it all still lingers.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-24-2009, 01:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
The highlight for me was he meets this older dude in Arizona who drives a pristine early Bronco.. as if I didn't already lust after those things..
My entry into rock crawling in CA was my '73 EB back in '94. Fun, capable little trucks with 289/302 V8s from the factory.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
It was sad though in the end when he dies from eating the wrong plant.
That needs to be noted that Krakauer speculated that he ate poisonous wild sweet pea seeds, there is no proof of that in his body. The official records says he starved to death. It's plausible but many people think that is Krakauer sympathizing with McCandless and trying to find an explanation that is less the kid's fault. I have Krakauer's book too, if anyone wants it.

Chris McCandless was by most accounts an idiot for doing what he did, terribly unprepared for Alaska. He's another one throwing off the shackles of modern society but without it he wouldn't have made it 2 days much less the 4 months that he did. He lived in an old Fairbanks city bus that hunters had dragged up there and outfitted with a stove, for example. He also did this a lot, setting off unplanned, unprepared and made it through. But that was in popular places in the lower 48 and often that was with the help of strangers who would give him a lift, some food, etc. There is no one in the interior of Alaska to give you hand-outs (it was those hunters who I think found his body after he'd been dead probably a month). I will give him props for killing a caribou with a .22LR, though.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 11-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Rising Sun member

tragedy of Chris McCandless is that he was only a handful of miles away from a major roadway IIRC the story correctly (I have Krakauer's book too, been a while since I read it). He wasn't really in the complete wilderness he thought he was in. Far enough to not have help though...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

I think MCG is a crack-pot. Chris McCandless was a foolish romantic who embodied Natural Selection in action.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
I think MCG is a crack-pot.
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
Chris McCandless was a foolish romantic who embodied Natural Selection in action.
Too true.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Who?

Too true.
Moab Cave Guy--the acronym YOU came up with!!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

and kraukauer is just out to make $
TLCA#4180
Old 11-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I will give him props for killing a caribou with a .22LR, though.
I don't. And after the fact, he didn't either. For the same reasons. Horrible thing to do. And he wasted game on top of it due to ignorance and unpreparedness.

Maybe it's just me, but I have come to believe as a hunter that life is a sacred and precious thing, and if taken, it should be as many native peoples do: as effectively as possible, with solemn gratitude to one's maker and to the animal itself.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.