Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Flat Screen TV recommendations?

We need to buy a new TV and was wondering what recommendations you guys have. I want a wall mountable system that is HD ready. Based on my limited research I need a 1080p Plasma or LCD. I am not a gamer and the TV will go in a room that is pretty bright. Also, I really watch very little TV. My kids will use it for movies and the watches the occasional show. I really only watch Bloomberg.

In order to fill that space effectively I think I need a 46" to 50" model. Does anyone have any suggestions on plasma vs LCD and/or brand recommendations?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Vizio all the way if money is a factor, if not Pioneer or Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 11-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just get a 1080P LCD or LED don't get Plasma. Vizio is really good, I have a 48" Sharp I got on Black Friday last year and love it. This is the time to buy for sure. Sears last year was giving their Black Friday prices all day Friday and you could pick up out of stock TV's on Monday but still get the good price.

TLCA# 19853
1982 FJ60
1991 Toyota Paseo 38MPG baby
1995 JettaGLX VR6turbo project car
Old 11-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Any comments on LG? What about wall mounts? I need a swing out wall mount and saw them at Costco yesterday for $199, whish seemed pretty expensive.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I love my Mitsubishi LCD but I probably wouldn't recommend it. I had the panel replaced twice in the first year -- black lines down the screen. I've now had it about 2 years, and it's been flawless since the second panel replacement.

I went LCD over plasma for a few reasons:

1. No burn-in risk. We like to play video games at my house.
2. Matte surface rather than glossy. We have a window right behind the couch, so a less reflective surface was highly desirable.
3. Supposedly, plasma doesn't have good longevity at higher altitudes. They do make a "high altitude" plasma set, but it's spendy.

I bought my wall mount at Wal-Mart, cheap.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

LCD definitely. They run cooler than Plasma and don't suffer burn in like Plasma's do at this altitude.

I have two Vizios because of price 32, 720p and a 46 1080p, but recommend Samsung to clients due to the number of inputs.

______
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

No problems with my LG 42" LCD 1080p. Sears made me a rockin' deal when they were out of the lower-line LG model at their doorbuster sale. Realize that TVs are very competitive but wall mounts are not - so it'd be easy to pay $200 for an $89 wall mount. Wall mounts seemed exceptionally expensive at Best Buy. There are many eBay wall mounts, too.

I'm most annoyed that the only 'audio out' on most TVs now is is optical, which means that if you want to connect your TV to a stereo system, you need to buy a new receiver with optical 'in' and then use the stereo remote (or a universal) to control the TV sound. In the good old days, TVs had variable analog audio 'out' on the back of them. I found one LCD Toshiba model that still does - but all others are fixed-level or optical.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

My wife and I were going to buy a 50-55" as well. For all my searching. The led tv's are the best then Would be LCD then last plasma. Personally I'm going with the sharp aquos 52" 1080p Lcd at cosco. It's a $1499.00 tv for sale for $1200.00 even walmart couldn't beat the 1200 price. I was shocked.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've had a costco vizio for 4 years now and it seems to be doing well. 1080p looks nice with the computer hooked up and I let the Marantz reciever do the audio.
82 FJ40
Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

1) Whatever you get, get it at Costco.
2) Get a good LCD. Plasma run hot, burn lots of energy, and have relatively short half-lives, like 7 years.
3) LCDs can be cycled many times more than DLPs and plasmas.
4) Anything you're gonna get now is gonna be 1080p although the only thing that will give you content in that rez is BluRay. Comcast, DirecTV, and Dish are all 1080i or 720p.
5) Get bigger than you think you're gonna need. I'm totally serious. You think you want 42", get 52".
6) There is only a handful (like 3 or 4) factories that make these big hunks of glass. So there is a good chance that Sony and Vizio for example have the same source. Where there is a difference is the components, electronics, shielding, cooling, etc. Personally, when buying cameras and TVs and cars, I go Japanese. And when I go Japanese, I go with the best-selling high-end stuff in Japan so I go with Nikon, Toyota, and Toshiba. A top of the line Toshiba or Sony is gonna be 10% more than a Vizio. I wouldn't turn down a Sharp, they are very strong in this market, and LG and Samsung are definitely technology leaders.
7) If you have a lot of room and don't mind the form factor, get a monster DLP. I have two LCDs and a 65" DLP downstairs and it just rocks. DLPs have dynamics that are better than LCD and just good as plasma (LCD does have difficulty with artifacts) and close to plasma in color and nearly identical in brightness and sharpness. They don't have as good of blacks but the new ones are very, very good. They're just damn big and can't hang on the wall. But with a huge sub sitting next to and 5 satellite speakers the whole house just rumbles. I've never seen a better setup.
8) But a good LCD will have a mean time before failure of 70,000 hours. And that is hard to beat. If a pixel is gonna crap out, it'll do it before your two years is up at Costco.
9. Don't have the scoop yet on LEDs.

Last edited by pmccumber; 11-23-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typo