Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have heard one of the downsides of LED's in the life. They are newer technology and just last as long, yet. I also hear they are pretty pricey compared to an LCD or Plasma although I have not priced them out myself. We have had a 42-inch LCD Samsung for about 2 years and it has worked great.
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Lifted

If you go LCD, I recommend Toshiba (we have a 42" in the bedroom and the picture is incredible). It was 1100.00, but now you can an even larger one for the same price. Samsung makes an excellent set as well. L.E.D. will soon become the norm. DLP is dead.
For plasma, Pioneer and Sony lead the pack, but remember, they don't do well in bright rooms and the glass screen can be reflection nightmare. The biggest benefit to a plasma is off axis viewing. LCD's must be watched pretty much directly in front of you. If you move to the side even just a little bit, the picture goes to s--t. With a plasma you can usually sit up to 30 degrees off axis and not see much of change in the picture quality at all. My next purchase will be an L.E.D. LCD at a 120Hz refresh rate. Anything above that is accomplished using special algorithms that can deteriorate picture quality.
vruzrman
Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

LCD for sure...don't waist your money on anything else. The processors are wicked fast now and the football does not blur as it flys accross the screen. also no real moving parts like DLP so they are suppose to last longer..

I have a Sony 52" LCD from Costco 4 years old and a Sharp 37" LCD also from costco about 2 years old (via consumer reports reccomendation). Not doing that again. I think my Sony is hands down far better then my Sharp..

Also not sure you already have or are looking for but I recommend the Yamaha HD recievers. I have 2, they are very user friendly and have a gazillian config possibilities in the back.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Have had a 40" Sony LCD now for over two years. no complaints other than the new stuff is even better. Never noticed any problem with off axis viewing but maybe because its in the corner of the room?

Just make sure you get something with a refresh rate of 120hz or more for sports viewing. My older unit can get a little blurred watching football and it will become more noticeable with a larger screen.

I have to stay away from plasma due to altitude.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post

Just make sure you get something with a refresh rate of 120hz or more for sports viewing. My older unit can get a little blurred watching football and it will become more noticeable with a larger screen.
Is that what the refresh rate is? I have an older DLP and it appears at times to have a hard time catching up to the action and the picture gets pixely (new word). So a higher hz means that it can keep up with the action?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hey FJ432 is that a Colorado plate with a skier on it?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ 432 View Post
Is that what the refresh rate is? I have an older DLP and it appears at times to have a hard time catching up to the action and the picture gets pixely (new word). So a higher hz means that it can keep up with the action?
The proper term is "pixelated". Yep. Seen lots of problem reports when writing codecs with that word. That and "AV Sync" for when audio and video get our of sync. Right now, plasma and DLP do the best with pixelation. But the pixelation can also be from your settop box. When the DirecTV is losing the signal (snow piling up) it frequently pixelates. I still see AV Sync problems now and again on my DirecTV box (couple times a year) and I know it is an issue with all content providers.

The higher HZ rate is how many times/sec the screen refreshes. Now, if the screen buffer that is being refreshed still only updates at 20 Hz, you're still gonna see artifacts. But, if the buffer updates in step with the content it gets from the provider (settop or DVD) and integrates between frames smoothly, you'll get a nice image.

But LCDs have gotten to the point where you can't even tell any more and that wasn't the case just a couple years ago.

Last edited by pmccumber; 11-25-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: better answer
Old 11-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post
That's a skier plate from a long time ago, issued in 1958. Pretty dang cool if it's original (plus quite collectible).

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 11-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

I was looking at TVs yesterday at Sears and saw the Black Friday ads. The one TV they had listed in the ad was $300 MORE on Black Friday than their everyday price! I pointed this out to the sales guy and he just smiled.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris sandstorm FJ View Post
Yes it is. I was walking through an antique store and it caught my eye especially being an FJ. Boulder county issued license plate.