Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Default couple easy 80 tech questions...

1. What size of what piece of what do I pick up at the Home Depot on my way home tonight, that will slide over my inner axle and release the little clip deal so I can separate that from the birfield tomorrow?

2. Any tips for getting the knuckle bearings out?

Thanks!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

(1) 1.5" schedule 40 (or 80 if you want)

(2) After you get the steering arms off the top and the bearing retainer off the bottom (the hard parts), it's really easy to tap them out with a large pin punch. There will be a section on the inside (two for each race) where you can get the punch onto the shoulder of the race.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa
(1) 1.5" schedule 40 (or 80 if you want)

(2) After you get the steering arms off the top and the bearing retainer off the bottom (the hard parts), it's really easy to tap them out with a large pin punch. There will be a section on the inside (two for each race) where you can get the punch onto the shoulder of the race.

80 pivots nearly fall off once the nuts and hardware is removed! Don't forget to put a rag in the pipe so when the inner axle comes out it doesn't mash the splines on the cement floor!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Pretty weak turnout at the WBPP today, where were you guys?

Anyhoos, at this point I've got one side completely taken apart and cleaned up. Thanks for the tips so far...
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Do my wear marks on the inside of the birf look pretty normal? Would it be a good idea to switch sides? I plan on upgrading to Longs in November when I regear, so this only needs to work well this summer, then as a spare.

Also, are those burm marks on the outside normal? That's from when they machined the bearing races, right? and not indication of really hot balls...

North siders, got lots of here if you're feeling wrestless come on up. Anyone have an extra snap ring for the inner axles (goes inside birf). Also anyone have an extra big seal, that one that goes against the dust shield? I'll be reusing both of those if not..

Last comment is I discovered some decent grooves on the OD of the spindle, where that seal rides. Anyone seen that before? The seal itself actually looks fine, so wtf?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
Do my wear marks on the inside of the birf look pretty normal? Would it be a good idea to switch sides? I plan on upgrading to Longs in November when I regear, so this only needs to work well this summer, then as a spare.

Also, are those burm marks on the outside normal? That's from when they machined the bearing races, right? and not indication of really hot balls...

North siders, got lots of here if you're feeling wrestless come on up. Anyone have an extra snap ring for the inner axles (goes inside birf). Also anyone have an extra big seal, that one that goes against the dust shield? I'll be reusing both of those if not..

Last comment is I discovered some decent grooves on the OD of the spindle, where that seal rides. Anyone seen that before? The seal itself actually looks fine, so wtf?
The burn makes are from the heat treating process. The wear is normal. 80 circlips usually don't break when seperating the birfs so they don't need to be replaced. You can drive the new seal in a tad further than just flush or don't worry about it (if the seal didn't leak before you'll probably be OK) And please.....your "hot balls" are way more information than we need!
Attached Images

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Rising Sun member

uh...good luck getting that larger seal out without destroying it. Toyota has them for reasonable (I tore one up pretty bad and had to get a replacement), but I guess they won't be open tomorrow. Maybe NAPA or someone has some? How many hours are you into it? I bet you won't beat my 27 hour total

I'm surprised that I did a front axle service before you did (am I reading you right on this?)

I might be up in Boulder tomorrow, but I'll be climbing I might come by to bug ya
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Not the larger seal on the back of the brake, it's the one that's bolted against the dust sheild.. it falls right off. That one on the back of the brake is definitely destroyed, but I keep extras of those.

I didn't start until noon, so probably 7 hours today. Got both knuckles bolted back on, and the inner axle seals pounded in, then I got tired and hungry. Will finish up tomorrow, probably 3 hours tops just need to repack everything and slide it all back together.

This is the second time I've been in there, but the last time 2 years ago I didn't go as far as replacing the knuckle bearings or taking the birfs apart. Much more thorough job this time, plus I learned a couple things today. Also replaced the "groovy" inner axle I discovered last time, and am using the right grease this time..

edit: spent the last half hour reading Romer's definitive compilation on the 80 series front axle service. http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=78276 Very well done, Ken!! it's all in there..

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 04-08-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Administrator

I bet that thing's hard to drive with the steering arms upside down and backwards.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Rising Sun Commander

40's must be so light you just flip them over to work on the axles..

So almost back together now.. final question. I've always thought the fish scale deal was a little goofy, but today really wanted to measure my bearing load. The guy at AutoZone in Laffyette had never heard of a fish scale, so resorted to fabbing my own.

I'll give the plastic ice cream bucket & chain 1 pound. So here it is below, with my 4 lb. hammer in it, after it genly coasted down to the ground. My 24oz. hunting hammer will stay suspended in the air, but anything more than that will make it spin. Well, crank the adjusting nut you say.. since the FSM calls for 6.4 to 12.6 (SA-11). But I've already cranked it back to the 47 ft pounds I cranked it to twice to set the preload. If I didn't have the scale, I'd say this bearing is way too tight. But with the scale, it's way to loose.

So I'll take a vote of everyone on line today- trust my instincts, or trust the scale? I'm going to do the other side now, see if I get the same results...
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com