Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Help a guy out with Stereo stuff

Bear with me, as I am an audio newb.

I love to listen to music in my truck. I don't want to pay for high quality sound, and currently have a 60 dollar target special stereo, and all of 60 or 70 bucks into 4 speakers.

I hate having a CD player. I have Sirius radio and an IPOD. A CD deck takes up an absurd amount of room for something I don't use at all any more, plus, even though it is a cheap pile of crap, its a target for theft.

In anticipation of becoming less secure (soft top hopefully), I want some way to have secure sound. I can easily build something locking for the satellite radio and the IPod, but the deck is harder, and I hadn't found a solution until recently.

I saw on Pirate a guy selling and IPOD set up for buggies. It was a marine Amp, with 2 speakers and a connecting wire that had a headphone jack on one end and went to those two connectors on the other, to plug into the amp (red/white, may or may not be called RCA jacks).

I'm assuming this works by the AMP providing power to the speakers and the volume adjust on the IPOD.

This won't work quite for me.

Three issues:

One, I need 2 inputs. From what I saw of his amp, it had only plugs for one input, as it was designed to come from a stereo. I want to run duals so I can have a loose cord for my IPOD, and one that runs into a fixed area that I will build into my new center console for the satellite radio, so It won't rattle.

Two, I need volume control somehow. The satellite radio has an output which takes a headphone jack, but has no way to control the volume.

Three, I don't need the speakers, and they are part of a package deal, at least right now.

So, I guess my two questions are: One, can someone provide me with a term to find the double input device? I've tried that term, a "splitter" a "input combine", etc...and not found what I'm looking for. I'd like selectable, or some way to insure that I don't somehow get feed back from one to the other (say a loose jack rumbling around inside the truck and grounding out on something). Two, How do I control the volume? Is something as simple as a potentiometer what I need? I'm not sure even what type to get there, by which I mean, how many ohm range do I need? Is there a product? I searched "external volume control" and didn't find much. Didn't know what else to try.

Thanks for any help? I've never really understood stereo stuff.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

the simple answer to your questions is to buy a slightlly better quality radio/head unit..

other wise your going to have to buy 2 or 3 splitters.. one for every cable
and i dont know of any way to add a audio adjuster.. because good or even better quality raidos have a external volume adjuster cabled into the back of the head unit.. so id just spend a tad more and get a cheap head unit, just spend a tad more than ya already did.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
the simple answer to your questions is to buy a slightlly better quality radio/head unit..

other wise your going to have to buy 2 or 3 splitters.. one for every cable
and i dont know of any way to add a audio adjuster.. because good or even better quality raidos have a external volume adjuster cabled into the back of the head unit.. so id just spend a tad more and get a cheap head unit, just spend a tad more than ya already did.
See, I already have a set up that is just fine in terms of sound, and playing all the stuff I want.

I want to get rid of the head unit completely. I want to be able to mount the amp somewhere out of sight/in the back don't care, just not in the dash. I want to run cables up to my center console for the two media devices, so they can be secured.

Generation Dead
Old 12-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

First thing is not to worry Isaac, what you want to do is not difficult. You need to figure out a couple of things, though.

The iPod and the sat radio unit models would help. The levels of the outputs need to be figured out. If they are both fixed line level, adjustable line level, headphone, etc. I believe that getting a fixed line out of both should be possible and that would be the best place to start. The iPod has both line and headphone outputs, but getting the line level requires the connector at the bottom. That will be the most difficult & expensive part, but that's because it requires hacking up a cable from Apple to get what you want. On the upside with the cable then it'll also charge for you.

Also don't assume that a 1/8" jack is only for headphones, although the red/white plugs (you are likely right about the RCA) almost definitely are. But matching headphones to RCA (this is call a line level) can be done, too.

I would suggest a little mixer essentially, nothing fancy. Two volume knobs or maybe one volume with a source select. In either case we're talking hitting Radio Shack for maybe a dozen parts and a little box. If we have to buy everything new, iPod cable, etc, you're probably looking at $40 tops, I dunno.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Awesome Dave! Great stuff!

Okay, the Ipod is the Older NANO version. I have no problem hacking up wires and am quite good at soldering and electrical stuff (do a lot of it at work). How do I figure out what the output is on the IPOD, IE, I'm guessing with the wire modification, it'd be fixed line level.

I'll have to get back to you on the Sat radio. I'd imagine its also fixed line level.

Thanks!

Generation Dead
Old 12-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

iPod connector ($2.39):
http://www.chargeconverter.com/shop/connector.htm

iPod pin-out:
http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

A couple of RCA connectors and a length of cable will be cheap.

There you go, line-out on the iPod part engineering is done. ;-)

Two input mixer schematic:

Attachment 16012

That's about $5 in parts and we'll build it on perf board.

Just need to figure out the Sirius receiver and see if we can get a line level out on it. I'm sure there's a complex expensive solution to be found, but we'll leave that to Cruiser drivers.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

Dave, you rock! I'm going to head over to JB Saunders here in the next few days and buy all the components to make this work, (JB is SOOOO much better than radio shack, they've got just about everything a guy could want). LOTS better customer service too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I'm sure there's a complex expensive solution to be found, but we'll leave that to Cruiser drivers.
That is going in my signature. Thanks!

Generation Dead
Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Wouldn't it be simpler to get a Tuffy box and put the stereo of your choice in it?
Oh, sure, today you like your cheap stereo, but tomorrow...
Besides, toonz are the best solution for driveline noise.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just remembered, need to provide power back to the iPod and so there's DC converter that'll have to be included. No worries on that, we can come up with something.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Wouldn't it be simpler to get a Tuffy box and put the stereo of your choice in it?
No man, DJ AxleIke gonna be rockin' da hoopty.
Quote:
Oh, sure, today you like your cheap stereo, but tomorrow...
Besides, toonz are the best solution for driveline noise.
Right on!