Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 09-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Wednesday Wheeling - Webster Pass

Martin, Dan and I got in a little bit of Wednesday wheeling with a trip up Webster Pass. We met in Conifer about 1:00, caught up on things, looked over each others rigs for about 15 minutes while waiting to see if others would be joining us. As compared to a larger run with more participants, our pace was a less frantic, much slower and we had plenty of time to take things in. This trail was new to Martin and I and it was very nice to have Dan along as this was not his first trip on the trail.

The trail is more than a forrest road with a variety of cool things; rock filled climbs, puddles, stream crossing, trees over the trail, switch backs, off camber situations. Nothing that can't be handled by a 40 year old truck running 235s and everything that could get you in trouble if you don't pay attention. The views from down low looking up and from up high looking down are fantastic. We were looking to get to the top and then deciding what the next leg of our day would be. We were able to get to the top, but our trucks were not so we decided to make it an out and back trail run.

On the way up we met a couple of gentleman on ATVs and were forewarned of a washout near the top that has made the trail very narrow. I watched the conversation between the ATVrs and Dan and from the body language and movement even I was able to get the gist; real narrow, big drop on oneside, bit rock on other, real narrow. We traveled on to the washout location and checked it out. The road bed has indeed washed out and vehicles with a span of 4.5' will be able to pass through "cleanly". Wider vehiles would need to put themselves into an off camber situation over a fair sized rock and any trouble would most likely result in a very bad situaiton. The washout is on the last switchback and just a couple of hundred yards from the top. After checking out the washout, we walked up to the top and looked over to the other side. On the walk back down we stopped again at the washout and discuessed how we would get accross the washout (if we really had to) and then backed our trucks down to the switchback where we could turn them around.

Here is a picture of the washout.

One of the puddles had a very steep and deep drop and caused the only carnage of the day. It claimed the new tail light Martin had just put on his rig. Fortunately we were able to fish out the trim ring and lens with a stick. A bit of duct tape and the light was fine for the drive home. In retrospect, we should have spent more time fishing around that hole with the stick, I'm sure there is a more treasure in there. Here are are some before and after shots of Martin's tail light.

Here are some other pictures that I took, hope you enjoy.

Martin, Dan I had a great time and am looking forward to doing it again sometime.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 09-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Lifted

Great Pics! Is this area called handcart gulch?
http://www.coloradobluemountain.com - Drink Local Wine!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Club Treasurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_wagon View Post
Great Pics! Is this area called handcart gulch?
Yes. It runs roughly parallel to Red Cone except along the bottom instead of the top. They meet at the top (the picture of Martin and I by the sign).

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 09-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Nice looking set of rigs. So that washout is on the last switchback before the top of the pass? That section was already a bit narrow for my liking, so I can see why you chose to turn back.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for posting the report Ricardo, and thanks to you and Dan for taking the afternoon off to go.

Like Ricardo mentioned, there is a very loose washout right near the top that is going to keep most everything other than atv's and bikes from getting through. The road bed is crumbly soft and the only way by is to tip your rig up onto a rock, which would place all the weight of your vehicle right onto the softest part along the edge. Then it's a loooong way down. We probably could have shoveled for awhile and made a temporary fix, but I would hate to hear about someone rolling off that hill after our "repair" gave way.

Looks like I'll have to find another route for the 40's Only Run that doesn't include going up those switchbacks. Maybe RedCone if it's not snowing?

'85 FJ60
Old 09-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via MSN to theboomboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Nice looking set of rigs. So that washout is on the last switchback before the top of the pass? That section was already a bit narrow for my liking, so I can see why you chose to turn back.
I did this run in the middle of the summer with a buddy of mine, it's even funner in a full size where a large portion of the trail has to be drivin using the the ride-half-your-tires-on-the-wall technique

1997 T100 4x4
Old 09-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Here are a few of my pics. The color was amazing up there.

'85 FJ60
Old 09-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

the 40's look great up there.
TLCA#4180
Old 09-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
the 40's make it look great up there.
Fixed it for you....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

wow.. that first picture looks like a painting.
82 FJ40