Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 11-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Devils Canyon Snow Run 11-29-2009

I rebuilt a carb and installed it last week and was itching to try it out. Martin (MDH33) and I took a brief snow run into Devils Canyon yesterday. It was a beautiful day to be out and there was just enough snow to make the trip challenging. The first leg of the trip was not too rough as someone had recently been up there and had cut tracks through the snow. When we got to where they had turned around we stopped and scoped out out the trail.

The next section had not been traveled in some time and the trail was drifted over. It was on a slight downhill and I was pretty confident that I could work my way down and through. My truck is travelling on 31" tires and is not lifted. Martin stayed up on dry ground just in case. In short order I was stuck and out came the straps.

The tug was not breaking me free, so out came the shovels. Martin had a real shovel and I had one of those break down spades. After a little shoveling we had cleared down to firm ground at the front tires and with the added traction I broke through and we climbed up a little hill where we stopped for a burrito, put on the chains and scoped out our next move. We also made some adjustments to the idle mixture and idle speed on my carb.

The trail down the other side of the hill was very drifted and while we would have been able to get down, we were not too sure about being able to get back up. Add to that our unfamiliarity with the rest of the trail we decided not to risk going down. While on top of the hill we saw a huge buck mule deer bouncing in the meadow below. The area is pretty wide open back in there.

So we ended up heading back out the way we came. The short section of trail where we cut new tracks turned out to be the major challenge on our way out. Even with chains on the front tires, we both had to take several runs and Martin did a boat load of shoveling (thanks Martin) through this stretch. At wide open throttle, there snow was flying.

I left my gloves on the roof when we chained up. Martin drove us back in his rig to pick them up. After the trail breaking both ways, the short trip was easy enough. We managed to make contact with Nakman on 146.460 while we were up there. The Devils Canyon Trail gate is scheduled to close for the season December 2. I'm glad we got the chance to get back in there before the closure. The new carb is working great.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

And I was thinking of hitting that this last weekend, but had no one to go with....plus no recovery gear and chains.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Fun day, thanks Ricardo. The new chains worked great.

Those stock steel wheels and caps on your rig are looking pretty slick.

Looking forward to the next snow run.

'85 FJ60
Old 11-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Club Treasurer

Nice pics guys. Sorry I missed this run.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Rising Sun member

Great looking paint job, wheels and hubcaps Ricardo! Glad to hear the carb was doing you well!

And Martin, not sure if I've seen your soft doors before, they look really great too!

Looks like great fun guys! If I hadn't already been planning on climbing some 14ers yesterday I would have gone with you! I need to break in my new pintle hook and bumperettes!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

I heard you guys on HAM from Georgetown. Sounds like you were having a great time.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 11-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wheels are lookin' good Ricardo. So the soft top is just a seasonal thing?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrun View Post
I heard you guys on HAM from Georgetown. Sounds like you were having a great time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
So the soft top is just a seasonal thing?
Snowrun, did you put a call out and we missed it?

Jacket, yup. The soft top is old (the first batch sent over by Ehsan) and by taking it off for the winter I am hoping to extend the life for a few more years. I'd like to say the hard top is warmer, but between the poor fitting top-to-windshield frame gasket and poor old decrepit door gaskets the rig is drafty as an open air horse buggy.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 11-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Rising Sun member

Patience Ricardo, I've had my truck for almost 5 years now and I just finally got new door weatherstripping installed a couple months ago. When I first got it I took it up to Zepp's and had him look at it - one of the first things he said was, "you have a huge gap between your door and hardtop." There are still a couple drafts here and there, but all I'm saying is eventually you'll get there with a little patience It'll never be as nice, quiet, and comfortable as your 100, but I no longer need a full heavy winter jacket inside my 40 when it was cold out like I used to...well I do for a little bit but if I'm driving it for more than 10-15 minutes I don't...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat View Post
Nice pics guys. Sorry I missed this run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post

Looks like great fun guys! If I hadn't already been planning on climbing some 14ers yesterday I would have gone with you! I need to break in my new pintle hook and bumperettes!
Yeah, wish you guys could have made it. We probably would have given that drifted hill a shot if we had a couple more rigs/winches/shovelers.

Next time.

'85 FJ60