Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Question Post Gear Install/Axle Service Diff Fluid Change

Completed my 500 mile post gear install/axle service gear oil change today...Actual miles are probably more like 650 though...

I was surprised by the color of the fluid given the low miles. More concerned about the front fluid because it appears to have some moly grease mixed in with it . Could just be remnants of moly that got in before the axle service I guess.

Metal shavings wise the front was also worse that the rear...Mostly small pieces but there was one odd piece on the front drain plug magnet...It looked like a thin sliver of a pencil eraser or end of a bolt. Not sure where that would have come from. The rear drain plug magnet had nothing remarkable stuck to it...

Thoughts on what you can see/discern from the pictures?

Noise wise the gears seem quiet...I think I have a slight noise on coast but only when the speed drops below 32mph. Never noticed it before and it might not be the gears but it is consistent in that everytime I slow down I hear it from 32mph to around 25ish or so...

Front plug #1

Name:  Front Plug Post Gears 1 L.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  115.4 KB

Front plug #2 with the pencil eraser sliver

Name:  Front Plug Post Gears 3 L.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  95.6 KB

Rear plug #1

Name:  Rear Plug Post Gears 1 L.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  109.4 KB

Rear plug #2

Name:  Rear Plug Post Gears 2 L.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  78.8 KB

Gear oil - Rear is on the left, front is on the right

Name:  Diff Oil After Gears L.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  87.2 KB
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 12-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

That's a fair amount of metal that came out the front. Might ask Robbie or Ben Ashcroft if it's normal. I didn't have any come out on my 500 mile oil change FWIW. I just did another change on the front and came to the conclusion that you can change the front oil and do it again the next day and it will always be yucky looking, even without blown seals. My rear fluid has been super clean after 3000 miles. I also came to the conclusion that I will never run full synthetic in the front, just not worth it, whereas I would never run but Mobil 1 in the 80's T-case.

I have about 3500 miles on my gear change and still have a little gear whine on deceleration or coast below 20 mph, which I think is coming out of the front. I get no other noise at anytime, at any speed. I think it is the quality of the Nitro gears. The better quality gears I was told are not available any longer.I have been told some sets esp. in higher numerically above 5 to 1 that it is normal. Some Dana 60 gear sets have in writing that they will make noise. I still need to talk to ring & Pinion.biz about the whine, though I'm used to what very little was left. I also need to confirm it's the front when I pull my rear DC shaft to check the balance this spring.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 12-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

I run TG gears now, both ends. AFAIK they are equivalent to Nitro, same plant from what I have heard. They set up as well and consistently as any quality gearset I have dealt with (in my very limited experience) and make no noise. 4.88 ratios.

Then again the Chili is not a quiet 80... but I have radar ears for mechanical noise. Have Da Boyz give a listen (Robbie and/or Ben)
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Rear looks good to me. Front lookes similar to mine when the outer pinion bearing failed. Maybe change it again soon(100-300mi) and see how it looks.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post
That's a fair amount of metal that came out the front. Might ask Robbie or Ben Ashcroft if it's normal. I didn't have any come out on my 500 mile oil change FWIW. I just did another change on the front and came to the conclusion that you can change the front oil and do it again the next day and it will always be yucky looking, even without blown seals. My rear fluid has been super clean after 3000 miles. I also came to the conclusion that I will never run full synthetic in the front, just not worth it, whereas I would never run but Mobil 1 in the 80's T-case.
Thanks for the info...Not really wanting to drain the $9/qt Mobil 1 I just put in anytime soon but I'm not liking the metal from the front. Maybe Ben/Robbie/Christo will post up some thoughts. I was more concerned with the "yucky" look of the oil as opposed to the metal. The flakes were all pretty small other than that odd looking one. I just wasn't sure what would be considered "normal". If anything I've been REAL easy on these gears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Rear looks good to me. Front lookes similar to mine when the outer pinion bearing failed. Maybe change it again soon(100-300mi) and see how it looks.
I don't like the sound of that...I'll have to look back at what all was replaced but IIRC pretty much everything inside the diffs front and rear is all new...
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

So was your front like that when you pulled the diff? The diff would have ben clean from the rebuild, but the axle tubes wouldn't have been unless you ran some fluid down them.

I would look at the backside of your knuckles to see if you see anything, also might try and check the thickness of the fluid via the inspection hole next to the ABS sensor.

No clue on the shavings though
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 12-14-2009, 05:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

You may need to talk to Ben(Ben did your diff set up, Right) and see what his thoughts are. That would be proper, before I will comment.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Thanks for the info...Not really wanting to drain the $9/qt Mobil 1 I just put in anytime soon ...
How many miles post rebuild?

I don't run synth anyway before break-in is completely done, but that is just me. For that matter DuraBlend is as close to synth as I get. I tend to change the fluid for one reason or another anyway, before the service interval. If it ain't one thing it's ano... OK, condensation from cold streamwater, leaky axle seals, welding a housing glide on so I don't put 1/64" scraped sheetmetal to granite....
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
So was your front like that when you pulled the diff? The diff would have ben clean from the rebuild, but the axle tubes wouldn't have been unless you ran some fluid down them.

I would look at the backside of your knuckles to see if you see anything, also might try and check the thickness of the fluid via the inspection hole next to the ABS sensor.
Don't know what the front fluid really looked like on the initial drain before gears as it went into one of my enclosed drain pans and I didn't pay much attention. Backside of the knuckles look fine to me...No wet/soupy moly oozing out or anything. Good idea on checking the moly via the inspection hole...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
You may need to talk to Ben(Ben did your diff set up, Right) and see what his thoughts are. That would be proper, before I will comment.
Yes, Ben set up the gears and we chatted this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
How many miles post rebuild?

I don't run synth anyway before break-in is completely done, but that is just me. For that matter DuraBlend is as close to synth as I get. I tend to change the fluid for one reason or another anyway, before the service interval. If it ain't one thing it's ano... OK, condensation from cold streamwater, leaky axle seals, welding a housing glide on so I don't put 1/64" scraped sheetmetal to granite....
Miles on the fluid was 650+ and I used the Wally World gear oil FWIW.

After talking to Ben we decided the best course of action is to run the Mobil 1 for awhile (500-1000 miles or more) and recheck it. I'll probably run it till early spring and then drain it and see what I have. I'm more concerned that I fubarred the axle svc and screwed up the inner axle seals than I am about the metal flakes. I tried to be very careful on installing the axles but the DS side was a PITA so who knows...
TLCA #17037

:

Old 12-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah I hate the stock axle seals. Still trying to figure out how to shimmy the Marlin seals in the rear of mine. Now those are a proper SEAL.
KDěRCH
Bio Page