Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-14-2009, 04:52 PM

Default Anybody a lawyer who wants to defend my 80 series?

I am about to do battle with State Farm insurance over my 1994 unlocked FJZ80.

Long story short. I tangled with another driver. They were at fault. State Farm admitted fault. Adjuster was at my house today and came up with 5k in damage.

Probably totaled by book standards. So now they have to get back to me with a value and buyback price. I have a feeling that I am not going to be happy.

I believe that its worth $5500 or so... it is pretty straight, needs a windshield and rear bumper to be in good condition.

I have been good to them, I had it towed to my house with my AAA membership. No storage fees/no tow fees. I haven't rented a car and I did not say my neck hurts.

Bottom line is I need them to $$$ and keep my ride. I have done a lot of work to it in the last year. Front end, radiator, injectors, snow tires and wheels, tune up stuff, all fluids yada yada.

I was hoping for a reasonable fee that if I was unhappy with their offer, I could refer them to "my lawyer" for a phone consult negotiation.

Anybody interested/know anyone?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

I recently replaced my wife's car after someone ran into it and totaled it. Their first settlement offer (State Farm) was way low. After a bit of homework on my part, I got their second offer to be high enough to actually replace the car. In your case, a higher settlement offer might mean a higher buy back price. A lower settlement means you have less money to work with. I'd go for the max realistic replacement cost first. Do some digging on the web and decide what you think is a reasonable offer. Compile a list of ten or twenty comparable vehicles with milage and asking price. Include both private party and dealer listings. You shouldn't need a lawyer or even the threat of a lawyer to get a satisfactory deal. Worry about the buyback after they have come to a reasonable settlement.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

I just had a similar issue. My 4runner had a run-in with a fence in that storm and they came up with $9,500 in damages They only offered me 10,300. I found a couple other Runners with same mileage etc. etc. and they bumped it up to $11,300 Better. Just do the research and give them the receipts for all that maintenance. It's part of how I got more for my truck.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab

"Apollo"-1988, 2001 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: SAS, Duals.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

This is basically how my '95 LC 80 has a Salvage title. It went through a barbed wire fence and they totalled it. It needed a new bumper, grill, A/C lines, new left headlight, hood, and paint. This was enough to total it. I've had every interior panel off of the vehicle and have yet to find a dent down the sides of the vehicle that was repaired. It's amazing! I've seen other threads that explain that the LC's have a high salvage value, so they get salvaged with much less damage than other vehicles because of the parts.

Good luck to you. I hope you get to keep the vehicle.

As for me...I'll just have to own it forever because most people won't even consider buying a vehicle with a salvaged title. I bought mine with a S title because I was able to get a really good deal and I saw the damage which was nothing!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 12-14-2009, 07:54 PM

I bought it cheap, but put a lot of work in to it. Some work was done at Safari ltd, most of it by me. Including $1200 in birfields, $300 in front end kit, fluids and $200 in wheel bearings alone. That is ignoring the rebuilt injectors, new radiator, phh done, plugs, wires, cap, new battery, new belts.... and my $25 Scion cd player

I have no idea what it will take to get it fixed cheap, but it will get fixed. I have $800 in snow tires and wheels for the darn thing.

I don't care if it has a salvage title. I am going to drive it till it blows up. I believe that realistically that it is worth $5500. Not greedy, by realistic in todays market. Heck its at least $4500 if that what was cash for clunkers was handing out.

It just ticks me off that I am coming up on two weeks now with no resolution, no vehicle.

I didn't want the responsibility of driving a rental, I probably saved the $1600 for that, $350 in storage fees and $100 on the tow bill already.

I have a bad feeling that they are going to offer me 3-4k..
Old 12-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Coming from an insurance point of view, all the things you mentioned you did all seem to be normal upkeep to your vehicle. Trying to get the insurance to cover that would be hard if that is what you are indeed trying to do.

I do think that your price seems reasonable and from what I have seen online within reason. DO you have any aftermarket parts on it? With receipts you can get them to pay for those increasing your payout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM

only for the bumper from mike at bumpitoffroad.com I have his first prototype
Old 12-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Wincher

PM sent.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 AM

Well I was worked up for absolutely nothing...NOTHING...

Valued the vehicle at $6620 including tax
Salvage value $1000

I get a check for $5620 and I get to keep the vehicle..

Holy crap.

Sorry for creating a stir.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

That is pretty cool, now you can build it as you like it with the extra cash. Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me