Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've been questioning the need for dual band at all. The club never uses the 440 uhf band at all. It seems like all the traffic you want to hear is in the 2m band. I haven't shopped for a radio lately but if you can find a removeable face plate on a single band unit for a good price, that'd be my pick. BTW I run a 7800 also.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 12-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
I've been questioning the need for dual band at all. The club never uses the 440 uhf band at all.
Those are separate deals- in fact I have only transmitted once on 440, and that was just to say I did it. On my radios one band is on 146.460, the other monitors the repeaters, or scans 2m, or whatever. but both on 2m- separate volume controls for the conversation I'm more into at the time.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

I know they're different, my point is that a 2m only tends to be cheaper than a dual band. Why pay for 440 if you never use it. The dual receiver function on the 8800 is trick but all radios can scan programmend channels, they just do it in a sequence. If two people are talking at the same time on two different channels, I don't see the benefit of trying to understand two concurrent conversations.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 12-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Seems the UHF issue is a chicken and the egg problem. There isn't a majority of club members with it to switch by default and so it never gets used. I think using UHF makes sense because it's a lot less crowded, but I dunno.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Steve, I mounted mine in my FJ between the visors. There is a build with photos in the FJC forum. If your are interested.

Also, I can look and see what I have for mount and antenna, if you are curious. I used the same mount as Hulk and Corsair.. I mounted on the top of the back tail gate. Seems to be working great. I have an ICOM. the same as Marco. Marco programmed it for me. If you get a Yaseu, the other guys will be able to help program the channels, takes just few minutes.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 12-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

I think my plan is to install in the 40 first (timing of Moab) and then the FJC sometime after that. Most likely go with two less expensive models in both rigs.

Thanks for all the good advice.

______
Old 12-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the advice guys. I really like the removable face plate and that will be a must when I buy one. Not sure if I need a dual band or not, I guess it depends if I can find the right deal. I found this one on CL and seems to be a decent deal just not to sure.

Kenwood TM-G707 for sale. $180. Used but works perfect. No problems at all. You can read some reviews here: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1209
I also have Diamond X510MA 2m/70cm vertical antenna for $100. Still thinking if I want to sell this one since it's a very good antenna. But want to try a beam.

I send him an email to see if he still has it, if he does I may take a look at it.

If I do find a cable long enough to run from my trailered rig to my tow rig how fast will the battery run down, I know loaded question. But really on a five hour drive will it kill the battery? I guess I could run a power wire from my trailer plug that either powers the radio only or charges the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 12-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post

If I do find a cable long enough to run from my trailered rig to my tow rig how fast will the battery run down, I know loaded question. But really on a five hour drive will it kill the battery? I guess I could run a power wire from my trailer plug that either powers the radio only or charges the battery.
With a removeable faceplate model, you'll have to run a really long cable for an aux speaker as well..

When I got my HAM for the 40, I had the intention of swapping it between rigs as well. I even bought a mag-mount antenna that would be easy to put on any of my vehicles. I picked up and extra power harness as well. I have only taken it out of the 40 once... Just too much of a pain. I wish I would have just bought 2 cheaper radios (like 2800) and antennas and been done with it.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

The cables don't bother me as long as they work. I can run two speakers pretty easy, just wanted to make sure it could work if I find a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 12-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
I've been questioning the need for dual band at all. The club never uses the 440 uhf band at all. It seems like all the traffic you want to hear is in the 2m band. I haven't shopped for a radio lately but if you can find a removeable face plate on a single band unit for a good price, that'd be my pick. BTW I run a 7800 also.
I agree. I wish one of the companies built more of a wheelin radio. Something like a 1900 with removable faceplate and dual monitor.
TLCA#4180