Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Santa promotes the 2nd Amdt

Mountain Drew scored a Henry lever-action 22 and a Bushnell scope (so he doesn't go broke shooting his 7.62 Mosin ) ...
Name:  hen22.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  46.0 KB

I got the rifle I have been drooling over ever since Bill told me to check out Savage ... a Model 12 BTVSS in .223 and I added a 3-9x40 Nikon scope...
Attachment 16337

The Savage is serious investment of $$$ and I want to take care of it. Now I am hearing and seeing a bunch of stuff about proper "barrel break in", the whole...
shoot a round .. clean, shoot a round .. clean, etc etc
with various durations eventually just cleaning occasionally. Anybody subscribe to that method or something else?
Why so many early cleanings but less later ... I can't find seem to find the reason why, only the procedure. Seems a bit like changing the oil every 100 miles ... doesn't hurt but a waste of time?

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Last edited by Tch2fly; 01-07-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:35 PM

You'll shoot your eye out kid.

2004 Audi A4: 4 RINGS
1981 FJ60: 6 LEAKY RINGS

--KG4JJW--
Old 12-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tch2fly View Post
Mountain Drew scored a Henry lever-action 22 and a Bushnell scope (so he doesn't go broke shooting his 7.62 Mosin ) ...
Attachment 16336

I got the rifle I have been drooling over ever since Bill told me to check out Savage ... a Model 12 BTVSS in .223 and I added a 3-9x40 Nikon scope...
Attachment 16337

The Savage is serious investment of $$$ and I want to take care of it. Now I am hearing and seeing a bunch of stuff about proper "barrel break in", the whole...
with various durations eventually just cleaning occasionally. Anybody subscribe to that method or something else?
Why so many early cleanings but less later ... I can't find seem to find the reason why, only the procedure. Seems a bit like changing the oil every 100 miles ... doesn't hurt but a waste of time?

Thoughts?
You may want a one piece base for that thing.

I am still willing to take you to the SRM if you want. This will really test your metal (all puns intended).
Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
You may want a one piece base for that thing.

I am still willing to take you to the SRM if you want. This will really test your metal (all puns intended).
Yeah, I'm not happy with the Leupolds. I was kinda rushed and told the sales guy to throw in the "proper" mounts and rings ... I should have paid more attention.

I want a few rounds under my belt but expect me to hit you up in a month or two
Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:

Thoughts?
Oh sure... post it so now *I* have to drool. Sheesh.

DRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL.............

There's several schools of thought on break-in. The one you outline is the most conservative and you really cannot go wrong. I think the reasoning is something like a fresh internal combustion cylinder: it is not machined perfectly, and the high points need to be sheared/hammered down while not overheating the steel (changing the temper even to a very localized extent). You don't want to beat excess carbon into the steel and create micro deformities. Or something like that. So fire a round, clean it, fire a round... etc. As it wears in, the cleanings occur less frequently. Never over-oil of course. Less is more.

It is interesting, however, that (from what I read and hear at least) most barrels are most accurate after firing a 'fouling round', rather than freshly cleaned.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not happy with the Leupolds. I was kinda rushed and told the sales guy to throw in the "proper" mounts and rings ... I should have paid more attention.

I want a few rounds under my belt but expect me to hit you up in a month or two
Being a large bore pistol hunter I learned the hard way and much to my surprise that while the folks at Leopold have some of the best customer service one could ever want that I was speaking to them way to much every year! I am now a tried and true Nikon optics fan and have had 0 calls to customer service! My hunting partner has accused me of having a night vision scope as the light gathering qualities of a Nikon are amazing! Of course my problem is heavy recoil so take that into consideration with my
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Being a large bore pistol hunter I learned the hard way and much to my surprise that while the folks at Leopold have some of the best customer service one could ever want that I was speaking to them way to much every year! I am now a tried and true Nikon optics fan and have had 0 calls to customer service! My hunting partner has accused me of having a night vision scope as the light gathering qualities of a Nikon are amazing! Of course my problem is heavy recoil so take that into consideration with my
Looking at my post it wasn't that clear but the scope is a Nikon I was going that route regardless of the rifle ...
the mounts are Leupold and my displeasure is mostly asthetic. I have done a bunch of searching and my 1-piece mount options seem limited and 3x the $$ I have in the current set-up. I realize you get what you pay for but
Old 12-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have had a similar experience to y'all's Nikon ones, with Burris. LOVE their optics. Great customer service... based on one call I made unrelated to any difficulties, of which I have had NONE.

Made in Colorado too. The light gathering of my 4-14x50mm ballistic plex on the goat gun is amazing, far better low light vision than the naked eye, even at 14x. The ballistic plex is REALLY nice at long ranges, and is accurate.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
I have had a similar experience to y'all's Nikon ones, with Burris. LOVE their optics. Great customer service... based on one call I made unrelated to any difficulties, of which I have had NONE.

Made in Colorado too. The light gathering of my 4-14x50mm ballistic plex on the goat gun is amazing, far better low light vision than the naked eye, even at 14x. The ballistic plex is REALLY nice at long ranges, and is accurate.
My partner is a die hard Burris fan as was his dad.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:

The hometown boy in me (I was born in Greeley) had me looking at the them and they were a close second but for the .223 I really like the Nikon BDC reticle on the coyote scopes (although they didn't have it in silver ).

Guess I'll just need to get another rifle with a Burris