Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I am with this statement all the way! AT&T has been a deal breaker for me and an Iphone. Rather stretch a string between 2 soup cans!
My prediction is that some day in the future AT&T will once again own all telecommunications, and Judge Green's great-grandson will come through and break it back up into smaller companies again

A co-worker sent this to me today:

Quote:
AT&T asks FCC to set date to scrap old phone system
By Reuters
NEW YORK (Reuters) - AT&T Inc told U.S. telecoms regulators that it should set plans for phasing out older telephone networks if the government wants to make high-speed Internet access available across the country.
AT&T, the original U.S. phone operator, described older voice-based "circuit switched" telephone systems and service as "relics of a by-gone era" in a filing with the Federal Communications Commission dated December 21.
It said that the government's goal of 100 percent broadband Internet access is in reach only if resources are moved away from "plain-old telephone service", known in the industry as POTS and the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN).
Otherwise "Congress's goal of universal access to broadband will not be met in a timely or efficient manner if providers are forced to continue to invest in and to maintain two networks," AT&T said in the filing.
"Due to technological advances, changes in consumer preference, and market forces, the question is when, not if, POTS service and the PSTN over which it is provided will become obsolete," AT&T said.
More than 90 percent of the population has access to broadband, according to AT&T the country's biggest operator with expected 2009 revenue of about $123 billion. It said that phone companies will continue to work to cover the rest of the country, but will need some encouragement from regulators.
AT&T was created in the late 19th century to build a communications network that would stretch across the United States, and became the dominant U.S. phone company.
It has gone through multiple changes since then, including a breakup in the 1980s, but remains the largest U.S. telephone company by revenue.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

For all of you Verizon bashers: They are the largest mobile phone service provider in North America in terms of number of subscribers, total revenue generated and overall profitability. They also have the highest customer satisfaction scores based on coverage, overall network performance and customer support. So, they may not be perfect for everyone but they must be doing something right.

The Google phone will have a slightly newer operating system than the Droid and a few unique apps that Google held back from the Droid to help make their product launch unique. Other than that the big deal with GP is it is unlocked so it can be used on any North American network using CDMA architecture (T-Mobile for example is GSM based). As the article says, the downside with this is no one carrier will subsidize the handset cost so Google will have to come up with a marketing plan to address that.

There are also plans for it to become a multi-band phone at some time in the future. This could allow it to work on the NA CDMA systems, NA GSM frequencies and the ROTW GSM frequencies. This would make it a true "World" phone.

Being in the cellular phone business, I can tell you that no company I am aware of is interested in "killing" the iPhone. We want to provide products to compete with it so people have a choice but it's too good for business to eliminate it. The iPhone has spurred a whole new round of people replacing their current phones. This benefits all the handset makers and all models of phones.

As big a deal as everyone likes to make out of iPhone, it is still a very small niche product in terms of overall handset sales. Motorola had the big hit RAZR product a few years back, still sell a lot of them today and Apple would have to sell 50 times as many iPhones as sold to date to come close to equaling that number. Now you have everyone and their brother coming out with products that do more and will sell for less than the iPhone. In the end I believe the iPhone will end up just like Apple computers: They will continue to be owned and treasured by a small but dedicated band of Apple loyalists whereas the vast majority of smart phone users will use everything else (just like the Microsoft PC's). Over time, the SW code writers will shift their focus towards the volume market and the apps advantage will shift to the non-Apple OS based phones.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

OK. So, iPhone, Droid, GP? What's the best choice?

Old 01-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

I got an iphone and I dig it.

______
Old 01-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Rising Sun member

You guys are crazy. Last year I finally upgraded to a phone with a color screen and can take pictures.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
ill stick with my iphone thanks.. why get a "new" phone thats going to have problems because its new.. everyone is trying to "kill" the iphone, well why not just buy the iphone its aparentlly leading the busniess.. why would you willingly buy the second best anything ? and there are also over 1,000,000 apps available for the iphone.. yes over a million
Capitalist Market Economics. Somebody comes up with something that works everybody wants their share of the market. From the consumer point of view, I think a lot of people think that the new item will work better, faster, whatever is important to them, and they assume customer service will be good if something does happen. Plus they've "got" to have the "newest thing out there." Meh. To each their own.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
The Google phone will have a slightly newer operating system than the Droid and a few unique apps that Google held back from the Droid to help make their product launch unique.
When I bought my Droid last week, the Verizon people said that it has the latest version of the OS and would continue to be updated to the latest version, based on Verizon's agreement with Google. Not true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
As big a deal as everyone likes to make out of iPhone, it is still a very small niche product in terms of overall handset sales. Motorola had the big hit RAZR product a few years back, still sell a lot of them today and Apple would have to sell 50 times as many iPhones as sold to date to come close to equaling that number. Now you have everyone and their brother coming out with products that do more and will sell for less than the iPhone. In the end I believe the iPhone will end up just like Apple computers: They will continue to be owned and treasured by a small but dedicated band of Apple loyalists whereas the vast majority of smart phone users will use everything else (just like the Microsoft PC's).
The appeal of the iPhone extends far beyond the Mac crowd. My wife (who has never used a Mac) has had an iPhone for about 1.5 years, and it is way cool. I've been jealous. However, I couldn't see leaving Verizon for AT&T -- the service is too poor with AT&T. I'm glad that the Droid came out so I could get some of the same iPhone functionality in a phone from Verizon.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

iphone is a cool premise, but sloooowwww. the million apps doesn't mean squat to me because i don't even have a clue of what to look for and when i do search for something, unless i have the exact name, i have to search through a myriad of crap. at&t just plain sucks. they even have an app to report where there is no service....like at my parents house, just outside of los angeles.....

that said, it is nicer than my motoq was, but my motoq was also five years old. just about anythign would be better. i do wish that i'd gone for the crackberry, or held out for a better phone than at&t/iphone. maybe it's just that mine is a lemon or something...i've actually had at&t's rep tell me i may have to take it to a store to be replaced because i've had soooo many issues.
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
OK. So, iPhone, Droid, GP? What's the best choice?
I think Verizon has better coverage and higher 3G throughput nationwide compared to AT&T. They are also far ahead of the other network service providers as far as preparing to upgrade their network to LTE (4G).

With that in mind my advice would be:

If you need a new smartphone now I would go with Verizon/Droid. If you can wait, you may want to see what the Google phone offers and what kind of deals they will offer on them.

If AT&T network coverage is OK for you and you like the iPhone better, go that way.

Bottom line, I think everyone else will catch up with the iPhone very quickly and people should start making their purchase decision based on the throughput and coverage offered by the network provider along with their rate plan. Remember, today data use on the iPhone/Droids is basically flat monthly rate for all you can eat. In the very near future all of the carriers will start charging in some way shape or form for the amount of data bandwidth you use. Why? Because up/down loading large files on their networks uses up a disproportionate amount of the networks hardware resources (Base channels, switches, etc) versus voice traffic. This causes congestion and busy signals on the network and will cost them millions in infrastructure expansions to accomodate it.

A significant new feature on smart phones may be the ability for it to compress the data packets to minimize what you get charged for data useage.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
maybe it's just that mine is a lemon or something...i've actually had at&t's rep tell me i may have to take it to a store to be replaced because i've had soooo many issues.
Unless you bought the AppleCare extended warranty, make sure you take your iPhone back in the first 12 months. My wife had hers die about 10 days before her 1 year anniversary of the phone purchase. Replacement was free. If it had been 11 days later, it would have been $250.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.