Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
The appeal of the iPhone extends far beyond the Mac crowd.
I didn't say it would appeal only to Mac fans, I said it will eventually become more of a cult device supported by loyalists (like what happened to the MAC computers) because the vast majority of people will be using other brands of smart phones (MS based PC's in this analogy).

I think Ige's experience supports what I'm talking about: An iPhone or any other smartphone is just a boat anchor if you don't have good coverage and high enough throughput. These are 2 distinctly different areas too. Just because you have a strong signal (coverage) doesn't mean you have good data throughput. Many of the carriers have an incredibly TINY coverage footprint for 3G level data performance. The rest of the time you are getting data service but on 2G or 2.5G infrastructure only. 2G data is the equivalent of land-line dial up service, 2.5G is roughly equal to DSL type performance and 3G is like low end broadband. If you are in a poor RF coverage area or are on a site that is suffering congestion (see my previous note) you will also suffer degraded data performance.

True high speed mobile broadband is only available currently from Clearwire/Sprint and requires a WiMAX equipped device (PC's, etc no handsets yet). Thats why it's important that Verizon is far ahead of the other5 carriers preparing to deploy LTE in the 700 MHz band. It will provide throughput equal too or better than WiMAX/HSBB and they will have handsets that can utilize it. It may be 2-3 years before you see that commercially available but it is definitely coming.

Hulk-I'm sure they will keep you updated to the latest OS, but that doesn't mean that the GP's won't get it 90-120 days earlier than the rest of the world. They have to do something to differentiae their phone.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Unless you bought the AppleCare extended warranty, make sure you take your iPhone back in the first 12 months. My wife had hers die about 10 days before her 1 year anniversary of the phone purchase. Replacement was free. If it had been 11 days later, it would have been $250.
i bought the extended warranty
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
I think Verizon has better coverage and higher 3G throughput nationwide compared to AT&T. They are also far ahead of the other network service providers as far as preparing to upgrade their network to LTE (4G).
AT&T is generally the faster 3G network. Verizon likes to point out that AT&T's HSDPA coverage is worse than Verizon's total data coverage. That is true, but when you include EDGE (which is admittedly really more like 2.75G) the AT&T data coverage is much closer to Verizon overall. I haven't seen a recent coverage comparison of Verizon EV-DO to AT&T HSDPA, which is really the apples-to-apples comparison.

Informal speed test done by Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/5428343/our-2009-...a-test-att-won

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 08-26-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
True high speed mobile broadband is only available currently from Clearwire/Sprint and requires a WiMAX equipped device (PC's, etc no handsets yet). Thats why it's important that Verizon is far ahead of the other5 carriers preparing to deploy LTE in the 700 MHz band. It will provide throughput equal too or better than WiMAX/HSBB and they will have handsets that can utilize it. It may be 2-3 years before you see that commercially available but it is definitely coming.
I think the LTE transition is key. If you believe the buzz there will be a 4G iPhone very soon (Macworld is Feb...), which happens to align with the AT&T exclusivity sunset. The iPhone's only real glaring future exclusion is no EV-DO and so even if they all suddenly stopped being tied to AT&T it wouldn't matter because they can't access Verizon's highest speed infrastructure. If Apple choses LTE for the 4G iPhone coupled with Verizon's clout could mean WiMax missed the opportunity, even with the recent expansions by Sprint. It floundered too long IMO and missed the boat. I don't really think Apple will ever sell a commodity phone, either AT&T figures out a way to LTE or Verizon gets the iPhone in 2011 I think. The question is what about all the 2G and 3G iPhones with AT&T.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 01-05-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

EV-DO is old technology and really isn't a factor going forward once LTE is deployed large scale.

WiMAX was never intended to be a direct competitor to LTE as it works much better for stationary and nomadic wireless broadband applications than it does for full mobility. Thats why Clearwire is targetting the home user with a desk top wireless modem and a card for PC's to be used in nomadic applications. They will eventually have full mobility products but it will be a secondary offering for existing customers.

The LTE carriers will target full mobility devices first with stationary/nomadic devices as secondary offerings assuming their licenses allow it.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Trail Ready

Just ordered the nexus one. Ships overnight for free. Should get it tomorrow or thurs.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I think Verizon has better coverage and higher 3G throughput nationwide compared to AT&T. They are also far ahead of the other network service providers as far as preparing to upgrade their network to LTE (4G).

With that in mind my advice would be:

If you need a new smartphone now I would go with Verizon/Droid. If you can wait, you may want to see what the Google phone offers and what kind of deals they will offer on them.

If AT&T network coverage is OK for you and you like the iPhone better, go that way.

Bottom line, I think everyone else will catch up with the iPhone very quickly and people should start making their purchase decision based on the throughput and coverage offered by the network provider along with their rate plan. Remember, today data use on the iPhone/Droids is basically flat monthly rate for all you can eat. In the very near future all of the carriers will start charging in some way shape or form for the amount of data bandwidth you use. Why? Because up/down loading large files on their networks uses up a disproportionate amount of the networks hardware resources (Base channels, switches, etc) versus voice traffic. This causes congestion and busy signals on the network and will cost them millions in infrastructure expansions to accomodate it.

A significant new feature on smart phones may be the ability for it to compress the data packets to minimize what you get charged for data useage.
I've been with Verizon for quite a while and am very happy with the coverage and the data throughput I get. My company only supports Blackberry, which so far I can live with. I have an iPod touch which runs many if not all of the apps an iPhone does, and sometimes I wish it was a phone. The buzz about the Droid and Nexus kind of draws me in. The GPS capabilities, especially with the car mount make it seem kind of attractive because then I don't need my Nuvi and would have one device that does it all. My dilemma is that some day my Blackberry Pearl is going to quit on me and they have end of lifed it, so I doub't I'll get another one to replace it. I don't like the bigger Blackberrys. So, some day soon it will be decision time.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
The GPS capabilities, especially with the car mount make it seem kind of attractive because then I don't need my Nuvi and would have one device that does it all.
I dunno how it fits in but there's a Tom-Tom setup for the iPhone and iPod Touch. I know next to nothing about the user end of GPS (yes, we still don't have a GPS receiver). Now if you want to know anything about the autocorrelation used on the vehicle PRN codes or the composite CDMA BPSK modulation between P(Y) and C/A signals work, I'm your man. But what the heck a Garmin does that a Tom-Tom does not, no idea.

http://iphone.tomtom.com/

Old 01-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Google's mobile hopes go beyond Nexus One

Along the same lines, here is a good article from cnet discussing Google's long term plans.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottB View Post
I'm with Tim, the iphone is awesome and very user friendly. The droid is bulkier and it's operating system is rubbish. I have had verizon for nearly 5 years now and have had REALLY good service and am pleased with everything except for the crappy selection of phones. AT&T's contract with apple is out as of this year and there has been a lot of talk of Verizon getting the iphone.

We'll see.
i perfer version as well.. the only reason i left version is to get the iphone.. if version gets the iphone i might just have to switch back

i have also never really had any issue with my "3g" coverage.. but when i was with version. i must say that my service was covered better,, when i was in the back woods of Missouri. than sprint and at&t but ive never had any issues with at&t since the iphone... the Main reasion i bought the iphone was for the IPOD most people forget that you are buying a 8g, 16g or 32g ipod that makes phone calls and surfs the net... not just a phone that does cool stuff with mp3.... lol mp3 what a joke...