Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Ham/CB installation thoughts

OK here's my thinking on my installation.

I am now planning to keep both the CB and Ham in the 40. I would install the Ham (primary comm.) overhead, facing rearward above the dash, attached to the cage (where the CB is currently mounted) routing the Ham antenna to the rear tire carrier where the CB antenna use to reside.

Now for the CB (secondary comm.) I am thinking of mounting the CB also overhead between the seats facing forward and the antenna routing to the front bumper, due to distance limitations between CB/Ham antenna's, via the quick connect antenna attachment I currently have.....this way the antenna would mount only when I need to have CB and Ham (Moab and when Michele is driving the FJC she can be on the hand held). My goal in all of this is to not have to mount anything onto sheet metal.

Comments?

97 LX450
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
OK here's my thinking on my installation.

I am now planning to keep both the CB and Ham in the 40. I would install the Ham (primary comm.) overhead, facing rearward above the dash, attached to the cage (where the CB is currently mounted) routing the Ham antenna to the rear tire carrier where the CB antenna use to reside.

Now for the CB (secondary comm.) I am thinking of mounting the CB also overhead between the seats facing forward and the antenna routing to the front bumper, due to distance limitations between CB/Ham antenna's, via the quick connect antenna attachment I currently have.....this way the antenna would mount only when I need to have CB and Ham (Moab and when Michele is driving the FJC she can be on the hand held). My goal in all of this is to not have to mount anything onto sheet metal.

Comments?
I personally don't like having things mounted overhead. I rolled my first 40 and the overhead mounted CB came flying off and acted like a projectile in the cab. Those thumb twist mounts are junk. I have my ham mounted to the center console and the CB in the dash of my 40.

I think your set up would work, but just make sure it's secure.

'85 FJ60
Old 01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

My front bumper is a bit wider than most of the after market bumpers that I see on 40's. I mounted an antenna on each end. The placement is not optimal, but it works fine. It has a nice symmetry.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 01-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Rising Sun member

I have both of my antennae mounted on my front bumper. Like Ricardo, not optimal due to very little ground plane, but with a 40 that sees topless adventures often and sees seasonal top configuration changes, the only thing that doesn't change much is the configuration of the front bumper. But since my Ham antenna is the homemade 2m one and my CB antenna is a firestik style I lose some symmetry. Doesn't bother me.

And I still have pretty decent range. Not optimal, but there are things I could do about that that I haven't bothered with yet, because like I said my range is decent.

I like your thoughts of placement for the radios; they will be easier to hear. My Ham inside my Tuffy is hard to hear, the CB in the dash is slightly better. I really can't communicate on either if I'm on the highway though, as it's too loud to hear anything coming out of them. Some day I would like to get a cage and move them up to it to help with the acoustics. And maybe get an ear bud or auxiliary speaker to help. Hatfield has both mounted, I think stacked, on his cage.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

When I finally get a mobile rig for the 40 (currently I just use the HT) I plan to install it above the CB. The CB is is mounted between the spreader bars of the cage, right above the dash area. I might even get a smaller CB unit and mount both side by side as the current CB unit is huge.

As for antennas...Currently the CB antenna mount is on the rear tire carrier. I'll probably put the Ham antenna there and the removable CB antenna on the front bumper.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

KD0JVZ - get that radio installed, they are waiting to hear from you on 145.145
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 01-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

FWIW, If you can't easily see your CB display (facing forward behind your head) you run the risk of ending up off channel and not knowing it for long periods of time.

The other thing to consider is that ceiling-mounted radios dangle their mic cords. Are they going to interfere with your vision to the rear through the center mirror? Even if the radios are mounted securly, your mics can become rabid chihuahuas flailing near your face. Most CB mics are worse offenders than Ham mics.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
KD0JVZ - get that radio installed, they are waiting to hear from you on 145.145
I was just about to post the same thing.

Monitoring...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80lolux4x4 View Post
Even if the radios are mounted securly, your mics can become rabid chihuahuas flailing near your face. Most CB mics are worse offenders than Ham mics.
Good point...My mic in the 40 has thunked me on the noggin a few times - What was I talking about again?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
I was just about to post the same thing.

Monitoring...

"Check it yo" I do not park the 40 in the basement.

Keep your ears on Saturday

97 LX450