Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Land Use

Old 02-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default San Rafael Swell to become a 'stealth' National Monument?

The Ultragreens have been trying to close down the San Rafael Swell to OHVs for some time. They may have been successful in starting a 'pick list' in the Dept. of the Interior for areas to become 'National Monuments' (defacto 'Wilderness', without Congressional debate or designation). Gee, neat trick!

Check out the 'internal document, not for public release' if you want to increase your blood pressure.

The American Motorcyclist Association is on it... take a moment to do a quick response, will you?

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/al...02531&queueid=
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

All I can say that is a bunch of BULL!!!!!!

Reply completed................in a nice way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

ARRA action alert:
Quote:
Department of Interior Document Highlights Threat to Access
A leaked Department of Interior (DOI) memo makes it clear that President Obama is considering restricting access to public lands by declaring as many as 17 areas in 11 western states as National Monuments. National Monument designations can be made by the President without input from Congress or other stakeholders. The DOI document says the areas “may be good candidates for National Monuments under the Antiquities Act…” States that have areas highlighted in the memo include, AK, AZ, CA, CO, MT, NM, NV, OR, UT, WA and WY. Click here to view the memo.
As outlined in a letter from Representatives Doc Hastings (R-WA), Ranking Member, House Committee on Natural Resources and Rob Bishop (R-UT), Ranking Member, House Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands, sweeping National Monument designations represent a serious threat to recreation including motorized access. Any OHV use would almost certainly be forever banned in areas designated as National Monuments, and riders would have no opportunity to formally weigh in on the process.
Click the link below to send a letter to your Members of Congress asking them to urge the Administration not to abuse the Antiquities Act by potentially declaring millions of acres of public lands off-limits to OHV use.
Take Action!
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Blue Ribbon Coalition alert:
Quote:
BLUERIBBON COALITION, INC.
MEDIA RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Phone: 208-390-5770
Date: February 19, 2010

OBAMA SECRET PLAN FOR MONUMENTS COMPELS CONGRESSIONAL ACTION
POCATELLO, ID (February 19) - -The BlueRibbon Coalition, a national recreation access group, today asked Congress to pass legislation that mandates public involvement in any future Presidential National Monument designation. The Coalition says legislation is necessary in light of recently leaked secret plans for 13 million acres of new National Monuments in 11 western states.

The group's Executive Director, Greg Mumm said, 'The time for Congress to act is now. A sitting President should not be allowed to unilaterally reserve millions of acres without some public input and congressional oversight.'

Don Amador, BRC's Western Representative, stated, 'The list of potential new Monuments includes world class recreation sites like the San Rafael Swell in Utah and the Stonyford OHV Area on the Mendocino National Forest in Northern California. These National Monuments will certainly impact recreation. The public must be given the opportunity to review the impacts to recreation before Monuments are designated.'

The Coalition's request comes on the heels of the release of a document labeled "NOT FOR RELEASE" which details plans for 14 new or expanded national monument designations, totaling some 13 million acres of public and private land. The request was made in an open letter to Congress explaining why legislation is immediately needed.

Elected officials in the affected states have historically opposed such large Monuments as a misuse of the Antiquities Act, the law that has been interpreted to allow the President to designate National Monuments. In a letter sent to President Obama yesterday, top Republicans on the House Natural Resource Committee asked that any new designations be as small as possible and be made with greater transparency.

Utah Senator Robert Bennett also sent a letter to Department of Interior (DOI) Secretary Ken Salazar referencing President Clinton's designation of the 2 million acre Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument (GSENM) in Utah. Bennett wrote, 'As you may be aware, when word of the impending GSENM designation began to leak out in 1996, Clinton Administration officials obfuscated and lied, including to me personally, about their intentions. Their correspondence at the time acknowledged that they knew that had elected officials from the state of Utah been made aware earlier, it likely would have resulted in the unraveling of their plans for the monument designation. This was an appalling abuse of executive power and has sown the seeds of significant distrust with your department that continues to this day.'

BRC's Public Lands Policy Director, Brian Hawthorne noted, 'Former President Clinton used the Antiquities Act 22 times to designate nearly 5.9 million acres of public land as National Monuments. All of these designations far exceeded the 'smallest area compatible' guideline to preserve the resource and nearly all were designated without any public input or consultation with state and local officials.' The Coalition noted that in the legal challenges to Clinton's monuments, the Supreme Court stated clearly that the separation of powers applies, and it is Congress's role, not the courts, to address any Presidential abuse of the Antiquities Act.

The Coalitions letter is here:
http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/B...ment_Plans.pdf
Action Alert is here:
http://www.sharetrails.org/uploads/N..._Monuments.pdf
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 02-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Gotta love the "open and transparent" approach taken here...NOT
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

National Monument status would not necessarily preclude OHV use. In fact, it would be a lot better than Wilderness designation as it pertains to the closure of roads and trails. Nat. Monument status would also limit extractive industries from locking it up and locking us out as well.

'85 FJ60
Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

That has not been the case with recent national monuments, has it? Do you have examples?

Still incensed at the process followed here...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 02-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
National Monument status would not necessarily preclude OHV use. In fact, it would be a lot better than Wilderness designation as it pertains to the closure of roads and trails. Nat. Monument status would also limit extractive industries from locking it up and locking us out as well.
Considering the fact that this is being pushed by the enviro groups, I have to disagree.

Monument's and National park's are suposed to go through the Congress and Senate.

If this goes through, I see this as having two effects: 1) National Monument will be established and the hundreds of miles of roads that have been in use for well over a hundred years, will be closed off to the public. 2) National Monument will be established and Industrial Tourism will take over. Roads will be paved and crowds will come (look at Zion).

The Swell has been managed realy well by State officials/BLM. Yes, it has WSA's, some are even open to Motorized travel, and i'm always amazed by how little trail trash and abuse I see when out there.

Kurt made a good point, and is another thing to consider: If national Monument is established, States will loose there trust lands, lands that help fund schools.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"