Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Teen + affordable vehicle = $0 resale value. Write it off... it will be toast. If not totalled.

Give her a budget. Then take her shopping. Teach her the negotiating regimen, how to have the vehicle checked, what to watch out for with salesmen... let her take the lead. Let her pick the car, offer advice pro and con and let her decide. Teach her about maintenance costs, pros and cons of warrantees/service contracts, insurance costs by vehicle... everything.

Not only will you have taught her some valuable lessons (how to fish, versus just a fish) she will value the vehicle more.

She will value you more too.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default fun topic!

High MPGs, zero, or deferrable maintenance, cheap insurance, and lots of space. This means an underpowered station wagon. I just don't think Subaru has the reliability a college kid needs.

Volvo station wagon. Boxy, but good.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
High MPGs, zero, or deferrable maintenance, cheap insurance, and lots of space. This means an underpowered station wagon. I just don't think Subaru has the reliability a college kid needs.

Volvo station wagon. Boxy, but good.
Old volvo would be good. Those were reliable. A buddy of mine has had one for years and it still keeps going.
82 FJ40
Old 01-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Lots of opinions...Here is what worked for me and my folks way back when

I was allowed to pick out the vehicle but I had to pay for it, gas, insurance, and maintenance. They co-signed on the loan. So, price suddenly became a concern for me (I was spending my own money, not someone elses) and taking care of it was as much of a priority as it could be for any 16yo kid.

I bought a '77 Subaru wagon. Yeah, it was not a chick magnet but it was my car. It wasn't fast but got decent mpg and it had 4WD (both high and low ) and I actually wheeled it (ripped off the stock exhaust on Sugarloaf Mountain).

A strange thing about kids...They tend to take better care of stuff they have to pay for than stuff given to them...Worked for me anyway and definitely taught me the value of money

When I graduated HS my parents bought me a nicer vehicle as a graduation present. I received a scholarship to attend college so they didn't have to help with tuition and this was part of the "deal"...A 1982 Toyota SR5 pickup - no way had they bought that truck for me when I was 16 would I have taken near as good of care of it as I did just 2 years later after having bought, paid for, and maintained my first car on my own.

I think how it would be now that I am a parent to get my kids a really cool car when they are old enough but I think I will follow my parent's path on it.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

All good stuff, thanks everybody.

She is planning on kicking in around $1K and her mother and I will split the balance. It's not the upfront cost that worries me it is the ongoing cost, fuel, insurance, maintenance that she will have to take care of on her own.....I would also like to see this car get her through college.

Call me crazy, but it does not sound like a Jeep to me!

97 LX450
Old 01-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

If you have $5K, and are considering a 4Runner, get a 3rd gen ('96 and later). Big improvement over 2nd gen, IMO. Old Cherokees are decently reliable, but are tinny/weak and don't do well in accidents - just not much there with the unibody and no air bags.

Steve
Old 01-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Huh, I'm in the same request mode only for a Junior in College. He hasn't had as much good luck with jobs as I would like but never the less they come to the WELL for help. He needs to carry some band equipment also. But these same questions apply. Interesting that these lessons just repeat themselves. I agree with Red Chili and Corsair, make it a life long lesson.
________
Amatuer Xxx

Last edited by Cheeseman; 04-01-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Steve, the best cars for my wife's twin sisters in High school were Toyota-made Geo prisms.

I will warn you to stay away from anything European, regardless what anyone says.

1997 FZJ80, White, Locked, deflared, 5.29'd, 4-5" lift, Fox's, DC shafts F/R, 35" AT's, Metal Tech front bumper w/ winch, custom tube rear bumper, SROR sliders, IPOR skid, Custom exhaust, Snorkel, Eezi-Awn 1600, Mark's Speedo Box.

2008 Subaru WRX Wagon, mods and lifted on 27's

2001 Honda XR400 with goodies
Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman View Post

I will warn you to stay away from anything European, regardless what anyone says.
yeah but then it wouldn't be a life long lesson.
TLCA#4180

Last edited by wesintl; 01-11-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Lots of opinions...Here is what worked for me and my folks way back when

I was allowed to pick out the vehicle but I had to pay for it, gas, insurance, and maintenance. They co-signed on the loan. So, price suddenly became a concern for me (I was spending my own money, not someone elses) and taking care of it was as much of a priority as it could be for any 16yo kid.

I bought a '77 Subaru wagon. Yeah, it was not a chick magnet but it was my car. It wasn't fast but got decent mpg and it had 4WD (both high and low ) and I actually wheeled it (ripped off the stock exhaust on Sugarloaf Mountain).

A strange thing about kids...They tend to take better care of stuff they have to pay for than stuff given to them...Worked for me anyway and definitely taught me the value of money

When I graduated HS my parents bought me a nicer vehicle as a graduation present. I received a scholarship to attend college so they didn't have to help with tuition and this was part of the "deal"...A 1982 Toyota SR5 pickup - no way had they bought that truck for me when I was 16 would I have taken near as good of care of it as I did just 2 years later after having bought, paid for, and maintained my first car on my own.

I think how it would be now that I am a parent to get my kids a really cool car when they are old enough but I think I will follow my parent's path on it.
X100 I can't emphasize enough the importance of teaching them the value of what they're getting. I did essentially all of the same things described above with my kids and I set the budget low. If the kid wanted something a little nicer then I loaned it to them and made them a payment book for it. The pay back was a combination of monthly payments and high grades.

I also would say don't get any type of 4x4. Too much temptation for abuse and a higher center of gravity than a newer driver should have to deal with. Go with an american or japanese economy vehilce, get onw with AWD if you're concerned about weather.

I always got my daughters subaru station wagons. Great mileage, excellent reliability and AWD and we usually bought them once they had 150K+ miles on them. I usually put a timing belt, cv joints on the front axle, new tires & brakes and an oil change. After that I never spent a penny on them except for crash damage.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang