Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Lifted

Default Building a log home....need advice..

This summer my two sons and I are going to build a log home in South Park.
Other than the excavating/foundation and rough plumbing/electrical, we will be trying to do most of the work ourselves.
As the time to start approaches, I become more and more stressed out, wondering if we can actually do this.
Wondering if anyone else in the club has ever been involved in building one, and if there's any advice they can pass on.
Thanks in advance, Rob
Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

you can do it. is someone going to build the shell or are you? I help build a cabin in the va mountains with my folks and their partners. There are some books on ele and plumbing and if it's a small cabin you should be able to do that yourself easily. We built our plumbing so that it could be drained in the winter when not there. Otherwise you need to keep the heat on all winter so the pipes don't freeze. once you turned on the water it only took a few mintues for the hot water tank to to fill before you could turn that on. Worked sweet.
TLCA#4180
Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Lifted

Log package is being delivered on June 1st in a big pile near the foundation...from there on it's up to Max, Kiel and I...I may ask a guy I know for some help with the framing, but everything else is us.
It's actually not a cabin...it's more of a house with a walk-out basement..no furnace, but pellet stove and baseboard heaters in the bedrooms...good point about plumbing in winter..have to figure that one out...
Need Plumber to hook up into the septic and plumb out the bathroom fixtures(Our plumber told us that even though it was not a permanent residence, we would have to plumb for a washer...never heard of that before)....and electrician to install the panel...most everything else we can do ourselves after...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
you can do it. is someone going to build the shell or are you? I help build a cabin in the va mountains with my folks and their partners. There are some books on ele and plumbing and if it's a small cabin you should be able to do that yourself easily. We built our plumbing so that it could be drained in the winter when not there. Otherwise you need to keep the heat on all winter so the pipes don't freeze. once you turned on the water it only took a few mintues for the hot water tank to to fill before you could turn that on. Worked sweet.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

yea it only took maybe 20 min to drain the plumbing and add some anitfreeze to the toilets and drains where needed. There were many times I opened it when it was 0 or below in the winter. We used 2 kerosene heaters to bring it up to temp and then a fireplace and baseboards while there.

Chinking is easy. I worked on a log home when I lived in Aspen. Do you have a crane for the logs?
TLCA#4180
Old 01-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Lifted

What are the building laws in the county. I am finishing up my house in gilpin county and I was able to do everything, electrical and plumbing myself without having any contractors. Electrical is state, so they send out an inspector, not the county. Plumbing is easy so long as you watch your slopes and use plenty of venting. To make things easier, run everything in 2" + abs. Pick up a few books on DIY plumbing and electrical, it will help explain lengths you can run before needing a vent and how to wire 3way switches, ect. Code books are useful however, reading one is near impossible, even for electricians. I'd love to come help on my days off, sounds like a great time.

Oh, my house is a SIP so I've learned a few tricks to running electrical in solid walls.

1969 FJ40 (Black, for now) 33" MT/Rs, 4"Suspension, 2" Body, 75 2f
2001 Taco Double Cab

"Get Busy Livin, or Get Busy Dyin..."

"Sport Utility Housing!"
Old 01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
Chinking is easy. I worked on a log home when I lived in Aspen. Do you have a crane for the logs?
We opted for D logs...no chinking necessary. They kind of fit into one another using toungue/groove...Heaviest log is 120 lbs, and there's aonly a couple of those - the rest can be handled by a couple guys on scaffolding when it gets high enough....do need a fork lift to unload the truck though...don't know where to get that from yet...rental store in Fairplay went belly up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdiamond72 View Post
What are the building laws in the county. I am finishing up my house in gilpin county and I was able to do everything, electrical and plumbing myself without having any contractors. Electrical is state, so they send out an inspector, not the county. Plumbing is easy so long as you watch your slopes and use plenty of venting. To make things easier, run everything in 2" + abs. Pick up a few books on DIY plumbing and electrical, it will help explain lengths you can run before needing a vent and how to wire 3way switches, ect. Code books are useful however, reading one is near impossible, even for electricians. I'd love to come help on my days off, sounds like a great time.

Oh, my house is a SIP so I've learned a few tricks to running electrical in solid walls.
Not too familiar with code in Park County...but will check it out...you are right about reading code books though...zzzzzzzzzzzz......
If you're serious about helping, I will provide food and beer - will be up there all of June...even though it's work, it's still great to be out of the city!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Cool. sounds fun rob. Hey you built a 40 with no instructions. You'll have plans for the house to look at codes to meet Let me know how it goes. I'd love to find some land and do the same thing one day.
TLCA#4180
Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Do you need a lot in South Park to put it on? I happen to have one for sale... :-)

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Trail Ready

Default log home

Our home is a log home from a quality outfit in Victor, MT. We would never do it again. The logs leak cold air like a sieve. Blowing wind makes the situation much worse. Friends of ours near Durango just built a Jim Barna log home and they complain that it leaks cold air, too. We have hot water heat and two pot bellied stoves. When the wind blows, we have a hot fire going in those stoves. The baseboard hot water heaters can't keep up during cold or cold and windy weather. We have 2,000 gallons of propane for the hot water heat and can't get thru the winter without a refill. Our log home is by far the most expensive home to heat that we have ever had.

Maybe, if your log home is a summer retreat, none of this applies.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is currently for sale
Old 01-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Lifted

Thanks, but got a great lot already...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
Do you need a lot in South Park to put it on? I happen to have one for sale... :-)

Mark