Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Lifted

Well that's kind of a downer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Miller View Post
Our home is a log home from a quality outfit in Victor, MT. We would never do it again. The logs leak cold air like a sieve. Blowing wind makes the situation much worse. Friends of ours near Durango just built a Jim Barna log home and they complain that it leaks cold air, too. We have hot water heat and two pot bellied stoves. When the wind blows, we have a hot fire going in those stoves. The baseboard hot water heaters can't keep up during cold or cold and windy weather. We have 2,000 gallons of propane for the hot water heat and can't get thru the winter without a refill. Our log home is by far the most expensive home to heat that we have ever had.

Maybe, if your log home is a summer retreat, none of this applies.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsdad View Post
Thanks, but got a great lot already...
I think he was talking to Wes...

I have been looking at cob or straw bail construction for a few years, with either timber or steel framing. I think you can effectively insulate a log home, but you might lose aesthetic appeal either on the inside or outside. Maybe you can creatively and beautifully span the gaps with pretty planks backed by high density (wind resistant) insulation? Don't get too discouraged yet!

My brother is a general contractor in Sonoma County, CA and built one of these from scratch: Timber Peg
I asked him what the heating bill was. He answered:
Quote:
"These walls and ceilings are about 12" thick - layer upon layer of insulation and air gaps and wood and air gaps and wood and air gaps etc. I think it would be fine. Craziest structure I've ever seen."
Check out the finished interior...

Old 01-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Lifted

John - That's absolutely beautiful...and the type of house I envisioned when we first started talking about building - your brother should be proud. Unfortunately, I am not a builder and our budget has gotten smaller these last few years.
However, I am really looking forward to the day when I can look back and say my sons and I built that.
We've already chosen a log home kit company, and believe we've picked just the right home for us. They come highly recommended and use D log construction which when coupled with high insulation standards, are supposed to be quite energy efficient. We'll see....
It is not a permanent residence, but a place to use mostly in the summer and for winter getaways when the city gets too stressful...wait...maybe it will become a full time residence....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80lolux4x4 View Post
I think he was talking to Wes...

I have been looking at cob or straw bail construction for a few years, with either timber or steel framing. I think you can effectively insulate a log home, but you might lose aesthetic appeal either on the inside or outside. Maybe you can creatively and beautifully span the gaps with pretty planks backed by high density (wind resistant) insulation? Don't get too discouraged yet!

My brother is a general contractor in Sonoma County, CA and built one of these from scratch: Timber Peg
I asked him what the heating bill was. He answered: Check out the finished interior...

Old 01-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsdad View Post
John - That's absolutely beautiful...and the type of house I envisioned when we first started talking about building - your brother should be proud.
Heh heh, he's proud for sure, but he just built it, does not live in it.

Just stay inspired, and build your dream. Your heart is totally in the right place. It's good to get feedback early. Finding out about wind invading logs now will help you plan for mitigating it!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
Do you need a lot in South Park to put it on? I happen to have one for sale... :-)

Mark
Better yet move over the pass and buy my lot between Breckenridge and Blue River.

I second Wes's comment about making sure you can drain the plumbing system if you leave the house unattended. Even if you don't, the next owner most likely will, and having that in place will be a selling point in the future.

We were originally looking at building a log home but decided against it for many reasons. If the home will be relatively small most issues are not that apparent. But larger log homes have issues with settling, warping, twisting, etc... in addition to being hard to keep airtight. But its really hard to beat the look and feel of a log home in the mountains.

I'm sure you'll be able to handle the project. Part of me still wishes we would have built on our lot especially as all the hard work was done, getting the permit to build in Summit CO. After that, the construction looked easy

Bruce, your not alone, we have our 500 gallon tank refilled every month here in Durango and our house is stick built. (Hot water base board heating & domestic hot water) The only place I've ever lived in that cost more to heat was the 100 year old flat I lived in during college in Milwaukee.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'd model the thing in Lincoln Logs before assembling it
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
I'd model the thing in Solid Works before assembling it
yeah, me too.

Mark, where's your lot? not that I'm in the market or anything, just dreamin..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

The Jeremiah Johnson in me is afraid of log cabins in the mountains.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

This is very cool. I have always dreamed about building a one room log cabin in the mountains as a hunting base and summer retreat with my kids. Can't wait to see where this thread goes and hopefully be inspired to do the same.
'00 UZJ100
Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
re: lincoln logs to solidworks; yeah, me too.
Nak, you crack me up.