Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hey, if you need any advice on the home or some information, my brother-in-law is building a house in the Southpark area too. My wife and I have been up to help him at least a dozen times since last summer and the prior fall. He can recommend all the good contractors in the area for the stuff you want to have done. He just had the basement floor poured in for the radiant heating and has just a few doors before the house is completely sealed. Then it is on to all the electrical and plumbing on the inside.

He is the one who got me interested in cruisers and use to have a 77 FJ40. Anyway, shoot me a pm if you would like me to hook you up with him.

Justin
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:32 AM
Lifted

That is a beautiful timber frame house, I have been reading and practicing my mortise and tenon joints now for a few months and hope to build my pole barn garage using a lot of the new skills attained.

I'll do my best to find as much time as possible to come help in June, its a beautiful time of year up there. Is the kit you are buying come with rebar tie downs? What I mean is, usually log homes that I've sean use large drills to screw in huge lag bolts throughout the exterior wall to help tie down the layers. No matter how much kiln drying there was, they will still dry out more and warp, some more than others. I looked at a log home in Coal Creek where you could stand inside and see outside between the logs (sweedish cope). It was very bad on the southern facing wall due to the sun. If you don't mind telling us, who are you getting your kit through? I've heard wonderful things about TJ's Wood Products out of Bailey, all I've got from them were log handrails, but good stuff.

Any pics of the site?

1969 FJ40 (Black, for now) 33" MT/Rs, 4"Suspension, 2" Body, 75 2f
2001 Taco Double Cab

"Get Busy Livin, or Get Busy Dyin..."

"Sport Utility Housing!"
Old 01-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

TJ's did my brother-in-laws place and from I know they were very nice, efficient and helpful. They even let us show up on site in Baily to stain the house before they took the structure apart and reassembled it at the lot. It saved a lot of time and helped us get the house stained in warmer weather before winther set in last year. It also meant we could stain most of the place with a 10 ft ladder on level ground.

Justin
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Lifted

Sounds like a fun project.
Log homes get a bad rap, and sometimes for good reason. Alot of these "log home kits" are not "REAL" log homes, and their tecniques for building and sealing between the so called logs are lacking. When i say not a real log, i mean that they are milled instead of using actual dead, full length, hand peeled trees. We have set logs as long as 55 ft.
The main problem with these kits are that as a kit, they are being marketed toward the DIY. People are led to believe that anyone can build a log home. They call a few buddies to help and away they go, only to get seriously overwhelmed after a day of two.
The main problem with a kit log is usually with the butt ends, corners, and any long length of wall keeping them straight, tight, and plumb. Are the corners of this particular kit saddle notched or butt and pass ? This can make a big difference. Can you post a link for the log company ?
Have you checked your county energy codes that are now statewide ? I ask this because even with 10" average logs, its tough to get heat calculations to work.
I have been building hand crafted log and timberframe homes for 18 years in Colorado, building for 34 years, and featured in various log home magazines 14 times. I am not tooting my own horn, i am saying we have been very fortunate and am here to help if needed.

If you need some advice, i will be happy to talk to you.

Mike
Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post

Mark, where's your lot? not that I'm in the market or anything, just dreamin..
It's in the Warm Springs subdivision, just south of Fairplay. It's an acre, but is next to association property that backs up to national forest, making the backyard roughly 1.8M acres.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 01-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Lifted

Pics of the home we've chosen, view from the lot it's going on (9 acres), and a link to the manufacturer and description of the home. http://www.coventryloghomes.com/comp...,detail/id,76/
Thanks for all the advice so far.
I am not going in with no experience...I used to be a contractor myself...way back, and have renovated many homes as a business. I am pretty hands on, but realize that I may need help from construction professionals from time to time throughout the process.
We did talk to TJs, but found that a true log home, although beautiful, was beyond our budget.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Lifted

Awesome.
Good luck with your build and have fun !

Mike
Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Lifted

Thanks...I appreciate your offer of advice, and I'm sure I'll be taking you up on it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zornff View Post
Awesome.
Good luck with your build and have fun !

Mike
Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Are there going to be women in the house? I learned two lessons from our experience owning a home in Park County, and spending time there with my wife:

1) Have a garage. This is self explanatory if you're going to be up in the winter, but it's true in the summer, too. It rains up there in August. A lot.

2) In the average Park County home, there are exactly two molecules of H2O. As soon as a fire is lit in the fireplace or stove, they leave, and women begin to molt. Ultimately, my wife stopped enjoying her time there, and that was the beginning of the end for our mountain home adventure.

Great looking place you're planning! Hope you enjoy it for a long time!!

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Lifted

House first...garage next - budget constraints
Yep, my wife, daughter and a bunch of women relatives.
We've actually spent a lot of time up there over the last 5-6 years both in the nearby log home of a friend, and in our trailer.
My wife loves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
Are there going to be women in the house? I learned two lessons from our experience owning a home in Park County, and spending time there with my wife:

1) Have a garage. This is self explanatory if you're going to be up in the winter, but it's true in the summer, too. It rains up there in August. A lot.

2) In the average Park County home, there are exactly two molecules of H2O. As soon as a fire is lit in the fireplace or stove, they leave, and women begin to molt. Ultimately, my wife stopped enjoying her time there, and that was the beginning of the end for our mountain home adventure.

Great looking place you're planning! Hope you enjoy it for a long time!!

Mark