Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Need advice for July Trail run through CO?

Ladies and Gents, I would like some help with a route planning for July 5-12 "any where between those dates" I would like to engage at or north of the T-33 trail head then move from there to the corona pass ... from there I would like to end up down by the sand dunes that are west of pueblo .... I anticipate this trip taking a few days and I'm not against taking paved roads to trail heads I just want to avoid them and primarily utilize 4x4 trails to reach the destination ... So with that said I ask for help for ideas on how to string along a route of trails that will allow me to succeed in my journey.. I will be driving a very lightly modified toyota 4 runner and will be bringing a few trail buddies from work with me there rigs are as follows "93 Ford Bronco with a 4 inch sus lift, a 90's Jeep CJ with all the right stuff, a 2003 jeep cherokee with a modest lift and another 99 toyota 4 runner with a spacer kit on it... with that said we are all green and don't really want to run across any crazy rock crawls or super deep water crossings" I am from winter park so I know how to navigate through a trail with out destroying my rig but I dont want to have to worry about the rest of the crew. please your input will be very much needed.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think there's a Camp Hale trip being planned, and the Ghost Town Run is around that time. I'm sure the club would love to have you come along one or both of the runs.

2008 FJC (SRTBUS)

"In-justice is a threat 2 justice everywhere" MLK

"I remain just one thing, and one thing only- And that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician." Charlie Chaplin
Old 01-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

I thought I'd bump this up. I know you all are focused on the Snow and Pizza Run and July seems like such a long time from now - but any thoughts on some moderate trails that could be hit as these guys progress from north to south?
TLCA #18941
Old 01-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

buy a colorado gazetteer and see if that helps. You can't go over corona pass and then linking that 2 the sand dunes all offroad doesn't seem that easy. maybe you could run rollins pass then drive over to red cone, handcart, middle fork swan georgia pass, to south park and run some dirt roads south toward hayden pass and medeno pass.

If you do figure out a route you should post it up
TLCA#4180
Old 01-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

South of Carona pass, they could
- do the Kingston peak area, and end up at St.mary's glacier....
- They could then head up I-70 a few miles to Dumont Downiville and do either red elephant hill or Spring creek...
- Spring creek could be taken out the George town route and then Guinella pass over to 285....
- From there they could go west (north 285) and do slaughter house gulch.
- after the loop on slaughter gulch, take the forest roads from Baily at the bottom of crow hill, and head towards Wellington Lake (i believe it is stony pass). (good camping in Buffalo Creek)
- from hear they could take the road that drops down into Deckers, and head towards Woodland park, and even hit one of the gulch trails (Metberry, Northrup, Hacket...)
- from Woodland Park head up to Cripple creek and down
through Phantom canyon...
- after hitting the highway, head up towards Canyon city, and take the back road (that heads south out of Canyon city), towards Silver cliff/West Cliff (could even take a detour to see bishops castle in the Green Horn mountains).
- From Westcliff, head south to take Medano pass over the Sangre de Christo mountains, and into the Sand dunes via the 4 Wheel drive road.. the Medano river/creek should be low enough that time of year for the many times it is criss/crossed.... best way into the Sand dunes from my point of view.

Also from Westcliff, the other roads up the Sangre de Chritso's offer many great camping/hiking opportunities (like music man pass).....

OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT
Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

After reading your original post more thoroughly, i would maybe think about taking the less modified rigs up spring creek (the rock garden can be pretty wicked to the un-initiated), and maybe go up the forest roads that bring you to the top of the trail, and still take the back road down into George town.

As far as crossings into the Dunes, Medano pass is the best trail into the sand dunes (and you can camp in the pass so you don't have to camp in the campground).. that said, depending on the amount of rain, the very last crossing into the dunes can be deep at times... i would call the park rangers and check it out before taking the more stock rigs through ( i have never had a problem in my cruiser or runner, but they are not stock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dog View Post
South of Carona pass, they could
- do the Kingston peak area, and end up at St.mary's glacier....
- They could then head up I-70 a few miles to Dumont Downiville and do either red elephant hill or Spring creek...
- Spring creek could be taken out the George town route and then Guinella pass over to 285....
- From there they could go west (north 285) and do slaughter house gulch.
- after the loop on slaughter gulch, take the forest roads from Baily at the bottom of crow hill, and head towards Wellington Lake (i believe it is stony pass). (good camping in Buffalo Creek)
- from hear they could take the road that drops down into Deckers, and head towards Woodland park, and even hit one of the gulch trails (Metberry, Northrup, Hacket...)
- from Woodland Park head up to Cripple creek and down
through Phantom canyon...
- after hitting the highway, head up towards Canyon city, and take the back road (that heads south out of Canyon city), towards Silver cliff/West Cliff (could even take a detour to see bishops castle in the Green Horn mountains).
- From Westcliff, head south to take Medano pass over the Sangre de Christo mountains, and into the Sand dunes via the 4 Wheel drive road.. the Medano river/creek should be low enough that time of year for the many times it is criss/crossed.... best way into the Sand dunes from my point of view.

Also from Westcliff, the other roads up the Sangre de Chritso's offer many great camping/hiking opportunities (like music man pass).....

OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT
Old 01-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Rock Stacker

THanks Rock!!! I'll get that maped out but that sounds like the ticket !
Old 01-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Of course that is mainly a front range route... there are others, but that was just off the top of my head. There may be ways to take even more dirt roads, but i would have to give it some thought.... there are also some great side trips like up pikes peak that are just a hop skip and a jump away from the route you will take....

Medano pass it still one of my favourite southern colorado trails... did it one year on a loaded down dirt bike...

Cheers,
Neil ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ll4boutda4play View Post
THanks Rock!!! I'll get that maped out but that sounds like the ticket !
Old 01-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Rock Stacker

Still willing to take more suggestions.. although rocks are great.. still would like any other ideas.. unless that is the exact route everyone is thinking of?