Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdiamond72 View Post
So I've never owned a 3sp 40 before and I'm finding my new one to be a real dog.
I drove my 71 on and off road for many years before I swapped an H42 into it. I loved the 3 on the tree but the 1st ratio was interesting off road and made me a better driver. As far as engine performance, carb and ignition timing are the real keys to get up and go. The old F is actually pretty peppy when set up right. 2X on the 2F.

Quote:
Its on 33"s with a 2f and original driveline behind it. Going up hill near my house in high is near impossible above 30mph. My 78 wasn't a champ either but it did much better than the 69.
Again, carb and ignition timing are really key.

Quote:
My questions are:

1. Does the 69 have 4.11's in the diffs? Is it worth it to go to 4.88's (cost vs performance)?
In order, yes, and no

Quote:
2. I'm planning on going to a h41 4sp later this year, I know that 4th is still 1:1 so no improvement there but will 3rd be close to a split between 2nd and 3rd in a 3sp tranny?
I have an H41 in my 76 and had an H55F in my HZJ75 with pretty much same ratios. WAY better than SM420/SM465/NV4500 as far as shifting smoothness, and as others have mentioned, the SMs are basically 3 speeds for everything but off road, 1st is granny gear and you really don't want to start out in it on road. The H55F and NV4500 are too long for a 40 because your rear DS becomes way too short unless you're lifted like crazy and you've built a buggy IMHO.

Quote:
3. Quite a bit of people on mud swear by the sm420 or sm465, should I be looking that route?
See above

Quote:
4. Also, I know that the gearing in the 3sp transfer is lower than the 4sp transfer in low range, worth swapping the gearing from the 3 to 4sp case?
Yes

When I swapped my H42 into my 71 using my 3 speed t-case I ran into a bunch of gotchas that you won't see on mud, but I wrote them up here.

Happy cruisin'!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
4. Also, I know that the gearing in the 3sp transfer is lower than the 4sp transfer in low range, worth swapping the gearing from the 3 to 4sp case?
The swap to an SM420 will be very easy for you. You already have the bell housing you need. So you'd need an adapter plate and the conversion gear.

If you go with the H42, which is a nice street transmission, you'll need the later bell housing & clutch fork and the t-case shifter linkage.

Your drive shaft lengths will change with the swap, but the good news is a stock rear 4-speed drive shaft will work with either tranny.

BTW, I have a 4-speed t-case shell you are welcome to.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I have the 3 spd gears in a 4spd case and it does help.. the $spd case is stronger (gusseted), and not a brittle as the 3spd case.
I also have an Aussie tranny that i got from Manafre years ago.... at something like a 5:1 first it is more usable than the SM465/SM420 on the road. (for that matter i also have a Rock Box i never installed.. lol) ...
Old 01-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
If you go with the H42, which is a nice street transmission, you'll need the later bell housing & clutch fork and the t-case shifter linkage.

Your drive shaft lengths will change with the swap, but the good news is a stock rear 4-speed drive shaft will work with either tranny.
I used the 3-speed flywheel and clutch when I swapped the H42 into my 71 with 3-speed t-case. That way I got the heavier flywheel and didn't have to re-route the hydraulics as the slave stays on the same side. The 4-speed bellhousing is a must as the H42 doesn't mate to the 3 speed bellhousing.

4 speed driveshafts will not bolt right up. While they are the correct length, the yokes won't fit the 3-speed t-case companion flanges. I had my 71 driveshafts retubed at Englewood Driveshaft.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Lifted

Wow, thanks for all the insight guys.

After discussing this issue with my neighbor quite a bit, I'm starting to lean towards an auto. A a440f preferably. To gain the extra length required for the longer tranny, I'll do a 4 link rear with custom control arms and old tj springs.

I do really like the idea of a h55f, however if I get more into the crawling scene an auto would be nice. Also, the torque multiplication would help if I stay with 4.11. Thoughts?

Could I mate a 4sp transfer to the a440f? I would like to keep my pto.

1969 FJ40 (Black, for now) 33" MT/Rs, 4"Suspension, 2" Body, 75 2f
2001 Taco Double Cab

"Get Busy Livin, or Get Busy Dyin..."

"Sport Utility Housing!"
Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

HI James,

I strongly recommend against anything that decreases the rear driveline length for an FJ40, which includes Toyboxes, NV 4500s and H55Fs. Autos generally also increase that length, no matter which adapter unless done with a V8 swap at the same time.

When talking about going (fill in the blank) link IRS, all bets are off and now you are talking about a much huger scope of modification, and mating a 4 speed t-case to an A440F while retaining your PTO is a much smaller part of a huge project.

Best of luck and happy cruisin'!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Lifted

Thanks for grounding me there. I am sick of the 3sp and was at first looking for a fix that would make me happy for the time being without spending $$$ to get there before moab, however I began to dream a bit. Still not sure if I'll change out the trans before late april. Not sure if I'll make it anyways, too many issues to fix before then.

Thank you all for your input though, much appreciated!

James

1969 FJ40 (Black, for now) 33" MT/Rs, 4"Suspension, 2" Body, 75 2f
2001 Taco Double Cab

"Get Busy Livin, or Get Busy Dyin..."

"Sport Utility Housing!"
Old 01-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Rising Sun member

If you're trying to make it to Moab I would suggest just getting an H42 and being done with it. There's enough modification needed as is that will take some time and extra $$ to get there. Unless your work schedule isn't heavily loaded and you can spend a lot of time to get everything done. Lots of people have done many of Moab's tougher trails with a manual tranny...

just my
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD