Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-07-2006, 05:10 AM
Wincher

Default Tire deflators

Which tire deflators do most use. I am leaning toward Staun but wondering if the dial type with the air guage on the hose would be better. Any input will help, thanks.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have staun, and there ok. For years I have kept a valve core tool (available at ANY auto parts store) screwed into an extra valve stem in my center console. Simply unscrew the core, put your gauge on when you think your close, and viola; deflated tire. WAY faster.

Oh, and you never know when you will need a spare valve stem eh red chilli?

j
Old 04-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I've got Staun as well... they work great but these things are way over-priced IMO. I split a set with 60wag, so we each have 2. That solution has worked well, I've never been the last one aired down holding everyone else up, there's always someone else chasing down a dog or taking a piss or doing something else- wait, that was me. But if you have deflators you can do all that crap while your tires are deflating, they're definitely worth having.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Lifted

pull valve cores, takes me like 5 mins to do all four corners.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I've got a couple of sets of these screw on deflaters. You get four of them and they screw together to become one small unit, about the size of a cigarette. These cost $10 at most 4x4 shops. They're anodized aluminum and come in different colors.

They simply screw on and start deflating your tires. Unlike the Stauns, they don't stop -- eventually, they will deflate your tires completely, if you leave them on.

But they are still way better than kneeling and deflating each tire individually. You can do all 4 tires at once, and then walk around the vehicle with a tire gauge to see where you're at. You can check the pressure without taking them off. Once you're down to 10 lbs (or whatever), you simply unscrew 'em and replace the valve stem caps.

They work great, and the price is right.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Stauns ROCK! And the price is right (free - I won them in a Rising Sun raffle :-)
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Rock Stacker

I've had the Stauns for a few years and they work fine, but they get pretty slow around 15 PSI and painlessly slow around 12. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will be getting the Currie E-Z Deflator. They go for $30. They pull the core out (and can remove it altogether if desired) which goes extremely fast, as mentioned, and you can immediately check the pressure. Definitely faster than 4 Stauns going. The only advantage the Stauns, or similar, would have is that it would allow you to stand around and talk to others if you're on a group run. I would prefer not having to wait if it's not necessary.

MyColorado.org (CO landscapes, destinations & trip reports)

Last edited by Darren; 04-07-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren
I've had the Stauns for a few years and they work fine, but they get pretty slow around 15 PSI and painlessly slow around 12. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will be getting the Currie E-Z Deflator. They go for $30. They pull the core out (and can remove it altogether if desired) which goes extremely fast, as mentioned, and you can immediately check the pressure. Definitely faster then 4 Stauns going. The only advantage the Stauns, or similar, would have is that it would allow you to stand around and talk to others if you're on a group run. I would prefer not having to wait if it's not necessary.
I have the Currie and it's awesome!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Wincher

The Currie looks pretty good. I like tha idea of the Staun "set it and forget it" approach but I wish you could just leave them on so you didn't have to wait. I am leaning towards the Currie right now. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I haven't tried my Stauns lower than 15PSI, I normally run 17 on my 40 and 20 when I had that heavy truck. They work just fine at those pressures, and I like the way they are adjustable for different rigs.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/