Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 01-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Rising Sun member

x3 or 6 on what Wes said. IH8 stainless steel fasteners. They have metric gauges and other small machining tools as well...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

X2 on Fastenal. I used to use AAA when I was at a former employer and they were OK, but Fastenal had better selection and quicker delivery. I buy 100 lots of metric fasteners from both sources.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 02-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Lifted

A little late to the conversation, but I sell fasteners for Barnes Distribution. Keep in mind for next time. We ship typically from Texas and take three days. Every fastener mentioned here I can supply. Just shoot me a PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmann View Post
A little late to the conversation, but I sell fasteners for Barnes Distribution. Keep in mind for next time. We ship typically from Texas and take three days. Every fastener mentioned here I can supply. Just shoot me a PM.
is it a decent quality?

i won't shop fastenal because they opened a shop here in c-town and hired idiots to run it. i've tried online and have gotten semi-quality stuff. i'm more for decent bucks for large quantities than super cheap for small quantities. with four cruisers, i use what i have.

only thing i don't like about aftermarket ss, is the lack of either captured washers on bolts/flange head style bolts. seems those setups are rare in the aftermarket ss field. i've been robbing all kinds of "still plated" bolts from junk rigs.

btw, gmann....barnes sells a bunch of stuff...do i know you from the big rig world (if i know you, sorry , but the forum name isn't familiar and i suck with names/faces)?
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
is it a decent quality?

i won't shop fastenal because they opened a shop here in c-town and hired idiots to run it. i've tried online and have gotten semi-quality stuff. i'm more for decent bucks for large quantities than super cheap for small quantities. with four cruisers, i use what i have.

only thing i don't like about aftermarket ss, is the lack of either captured washers on bolts/flange head style bolts. seems those setups are rare in the aftermarket ss field. i've been robbing all kinds of "still plated" bolts from junk rigs.

btw, gmann....barnes sells a bunch of stuff...do i know you from the big rig world (if i know you, sorry , but the forum name isn't familiar and i suck with names/faces)?
Fastenal lives by the 20/20 rule. Hire them at 20yrs old and hope they stay 20 months. Our Quality is good. SS 316,304(18-8). We can track all items from the package they come in. Don't expect them to hold as well as Grade 5, SS strength is slightly less. That goes for anyone. We have SS standard and metric hex head cap screws, machine screws (multiple head styles) roll pins, washers, nuts etc...

I used to live in vail but now in englewood. You parked next to me at Charlottes Web restaraunt few days b4 the snow run ( think it was you). I only know you from rising sun. Send me a PM if you have other questions.

Yes, we do carry lots of other stuff too (you name it we can probably get it)www.barnesdistribution.com

Last edited by Gmann; 02-17-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: missing info
Old 02-17-2010, 08:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

do you guys have JIS Brent?
TLCA#4180
Old 02-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Lifted

[quote=wesintl;138218]do you guys have JIS Brent?[/QUOTE

I lied, so I edited again. We do have JIS plated and some stainless.

Last edited by Gmann; 02-17-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: found more info
Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmann View Post
Fastenal lives by the 20/20 rule. Hire them at 20yrs old and hope they stay 20 months. Our Quality is good. SS 316,304(18-8). We can track all items from the package they come in. Don't expect them to hold as well as Grade 5, SS strength is slightly less. That goes for anyone. We have SS standard and metric hex head cap screws, machine screws (multiple head styles) roll pins, washers, nuts etc...

I used to live in vail but now in englewood. You parked next to me at Charlottes Web restaraunt few days b4 the snow run ( think it was you). I only know you from rising sun. Send me a PM if you have other questions.

Yes, we do carry lots of other stuff too (you name it we can probably get it)www.barnesdistribution.com
that was probably me...i did meet up with my old boss and some coworkers for lunch...i was driving my beat 80 that day.

strength isn't my issue...it's the resiliance to rust. i bought some online and pulled them out a year or so later and they showed rust. can't say that they were rusting, but it looked like it was possible that they would rust. i realize that ss isn't as strong grade wise as steel, but i don't expect to use it for things like suspension...i just don't want my fender bolts to rust to the body
ige tlca #1431
Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
that was probably me...i did meet up with my old boss and some coworkers for lunch...i was driving my beat 80 that day.

strength isn't my issue...it's the resiliance to rust. i bought some online and pulled them out a year or so later and they showed rust. can't say that they were rusting, but it looked like it was possible that they would rust. i realize that ss isn't as strong grade wise as steel, but i don't expect to use it for things like suspension...i just don't want my fender bolts to rust to the body
All SS will rust eventually. The amount of time depends on the environment their subjected to. With all the junk on our roads, Colorado is a harsh environment. My rear license plate and arb bumper's flat underplate are attached with SS HHCS. I replace them every 2-3yrs. Dont expect SS to be a fix and forget solution to rust.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

AAA METRIC also sells some nice German made hand tools. Friendly too!