Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Ceramic tile flooring

Does anyone in the club sell and install ceramic tile flooring? Or know someone who does? The wants to redo the main floor in ceramic tile and we would like to get good quality stuff for the best price installed.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Wincher

I can't remember the name, but if you take Santa Fe south just past Mississippi, there's a huge carpet / tile / flooring place on the right hand side. I got all of my porcelain tile there and I got a good deal as well. If you are not set on ceramic for a particular reason, you should look into porcelain. I think porcelain tile is more resistant to breakage and is thus better suited for floors than ceramic. My realtor also told me that porcelain tile is something people love to hear when they're in the market to buy a home, so resale value may come into play as well.

I can't help you out with an installer because I did all of it on my own. It's not very difficult if you take your time, and it's quite satisfying when complete. The only thing I would do differently is go with a darker grout color than I did as it appears somewhat discolored after a year or so. Next time I tile a floor I will be using a darker grout color.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

You can always regrout the floor. I have done it several times in different homes. Actualy thinking about redoing the kitchen in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Wincher

RockRunner - what's the best method of removing the grout? I had to remove some grout in a shower once and the dremel bit I bought wasn't worth a damn. What's the trick to this to be effective?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Lifted

Agreed on the porcelain tile over ceramic, although its usually more expensive. I installed all the tile in my house as well, its not hard, just take time, use a level on uneven floors and run chalk lines. Spacers are helpful also.

JJ, I have used dremels in the past, it helps if you use a grout removal tool as well, you can find them in HD and Lowes by the tile equipment. It looks like a carpet knife with one tooth from a saw blade, carbide tip.

1969 FJ40 (Black, for now) 33" MT/Rs, 4"Suspension, 2" Body, 75 2f
2001 Taco Double Cab

"Get Busy Livin, or Get Busy Dyin..."

"Sport Utility Housing!"
Old 01-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Wincher

Ceramic is definitely more expensive, but I think it's worth it, and I think I still got away with ~ $220 for my bathroom and my kitchen with tile left over for my front entry way. It's worth checking out at the discount flooring place I mentioned above.

Blackdiamond72 - the dremel with whatever $10 tip they sent me got junked in about 5 minutes and is now worthless. I must have not gotten the right one, or not been doing it correctly. I ended up using a hammer and chisel to get out the small amount that I needed to and re-did it. I'm secretly hoping that taking a toothbrush and some industrial cleaner to my grout will make it look like new again, at which point I can simply do a better job of sealing it this time around with the hopes that it will retain it's original color for the duration this time. If not, I will have to get those tools and redo all of it.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

As mentioned before, grout removal tool at HD. That won't always work because the size of the grout line. I have used all of the following tools to redo grout for myself and my customers;
Knife
scissors
nails not mine but ten penny nails
xacto knife, works pretty well
a putty knife, also works real well
screwdriver(s) depending on size

basically you need to use your imagination, but be careful when dragging the tool down the line. You can end up scratching your tile or whatever you are working on.

Second is use a really good sealer and apply it twice a week apart, will last you much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

I can give you three installer names and a few thoughts on suppliers. The Santa Fe places are mostly design showrooms. Helpful if you can use those services, not needed if you can pick the tile you want at a place like CapCo or Arizona Tile. On the other hand, a designer can be super helpful and since they get 10-20% off retail its like free to you anyway.

Tile installation and materials prices vary greatly.

Subfloor preparation will be the greatest variable in a remodel situation.

How I know is that I am spending $8,700 on tile this week for three houses I am building (plus installation).
Old 01-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

My wife will decide whether she will go with porcelain or ceramic;

I know I could install the tile myself but frankly I don't enjoy that type of work, I don't have the time to do it and a pro will make it look better

I really don't care about the best way to remove grout (see above)

Yes, please give me the names of recommended installers, I want someone who is very good at what they do and they do it for a fair price. Also recommendations on places to buy quality materials at fair prices.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Assuming you have someone install the tile, and go through them for the purchase of said tile, then this may be of zero help to you - But, if you're looking for a place to buy tile etc., or someone else is, you might look at the place that is just east of University on County Line Road on the south side. Next to the Sunflower Market and near Target.

Can't remember the name even though I drive by it twice per day - Big place and they seem to have a good selection...Price wise I don't know but it is some sort of wholesale or discount place...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater