Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default FJ40 Spring under lift options

yes yes, I know... do your research.

BUT, I was wondering what folks in the club are running on their 40's that are still spring under.

Hell for stout? OME?

Should I stop trying to wonder and just get OME? Thats what I'm leaning towards since the OME springs and shocks have done OK on the 60.

tell me to buzz off if it's a topic you guys don't feel like discussing.

FWIW, I am going to stay spring under and am just looking to run 33's at this point. I'm also sticking with the stock steering setup even though it has it's drawbacks.
82 FJ40
Old 01-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

Marco,

My 40 has what many consider to be a POS Rancho suspension on it with the adjustable Rancho shocks (RS9000s I think)...I think it actually rides pretty good, but that might be because it is old and maybe worn out - IIRC folks consider the Rancho suspension to really stiff

On my '76 40 it had an SOR suspension (whatever that was they sold back then) and it rode like crap compared to the '74. It was "new" so maybe it just never got broken in...

That's all I have experience with...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think the HFS suspension can give you 4" of lift while the OME is less, but should be fine for 33's.

I'm running the Downey 4 Inch lift. It was stiff as heck when I put it on, but much softer now. Ride is nice when the rig is loaded up with gear. My only complaint is that the springs are narrower than stock, so the shackles are a bit bit wonky. Downey is out of business now, so not sure you can get them anymore.
KDGWM
Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'm interested in this as well. I could probably list off the lift systems that are on the 40s of most of our club members; base kit, shackle type length, u-bolt orientation, shocks and who's done a shackle reversal. Ok, maybe I can't list it off, but I know I've had conversations with each 40 owner on these details. I've even ridden and drove a few.

Perhaps, we should gather a bunch of 40's some morning and swap out drivers in rotation so that everyone could get first hand experience with all the variations.
TLCA #18941
Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
Perhaps, we should gather a bunch of 40's some morning and swap out drivers in rotation so that everyone could get first hand experience with all the variations.
Should have done that on the 40s Only run!

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 01-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

You know where to find me if you want to try out the OME setup.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

I had the OME on mine with a SR when she was my driver. No complaints with ride quality as it was very good. But in the end I wish I would have just done the SOA and been done with it. roughly the same money and room for bigger tires.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

If your only doing 2.5+ OME is hands down the best quality and ride. If I was to buy a 4"+ today I would go for BDS or Alcan. But that's just me.... Spring overs can be done cheaply but you will do it again as you wont be happy in the long run. If you do a SO do it right the first time! That is not a cheap option but will save you money in the long run!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Kevin, I guess I don't understand where the increase in cost is with the SOA.

Granted much more labor, but if you do your own cut and turn then it seems to be a wash in my mind. Assuming your existing springs are usable. The money you save on springs should cover a high steer and traction bar if you choose. Spring perches are cheap. Otherwise new shocks, brake lines, etc.. are required for both.

Now if you have to pay someone for all the extra labor then I understand more cost to SOA. Am I missing something?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Kevin, I guess I don't understand where the increase in cost is with the SOA.

Granted much more labor, but if you do your own cut and turn then it seems to be a wash in my mind. Assuming your existing springs are usable. The money you save on springs should cover a high steer and traction bar if you choose. Spring perches are cheap. Otherwise new shocks, brake lines, etc.. are required for both.

Now if you have to pay someone for all the extra labor then I understand more cost to SOA. Am I missing something?

Your right Corbet! I always assume most folks do not have the tools or knowledge to do their own cut and turn. The high majority of spring-overs out there are hacked. It is labor intensive to do it correctly. A track bar for the rear is also required whether it is fabbed or purchased. The springs on a 40 are designed to be SU so if your going through the efforts to do it right, longer springs will also benefit both the longevity of the springs and the available wheel travel at each wheel. Another factor that has to be considered in a SO is how much lift you will need in the long run. Even at 5" over stock the CG/track width becomes an issue so will you be happy with just wheel spacers or off-set wheels? In my opinion if 36" and larger tires will be the ultimate goal then wider axles might as well be planned in to the build early! If you going with FJ-60 axles you need to either outboard the front springs of come up with another plan on how the chunk will fit the springs.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior