Old 09-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttubb View Post
Not sure I know where you mean - SR? t
Shackle Reverse = SR

ASCII art is not working for me....

At the rear-ward vertical plane of the front Shackle Reverse bracket you need to add a gusset inside the frame channel so the loading of the spring on the non boxed frame can be shared top and bottom
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

mo, i ran skyjacker 4" springs for years. i got one of the first few sets. loved them and they rode better than stock. their shocks worked well with the lift, but i had issues with the eyes ripping off two of them.

if i had another 40, i would go to them again. i wouldn't bother with another soa40 just because i don't hard core wheel enough. soa, you don't run anything smaller than a 36 or you'll look like a dork. so now figure on the lift, plus the larger tire...soa is huge.

pics of various lifts for comparison. soa with 36s vs. stock 235s & soa 36s vs. 4" downey and 33s (granted, my early top is a touch taller than the roofline of the 66 and later tops). btw, same two cruisers.
Attached Images

ige tlca #1431
Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Shackle Reverse = SR

ASCII art is not working for me....

At the rear-ward vertical plane of the front Shackle Reverse bracket you need to add a gusset inside the frame channel so the loading of the spring on the non boxed frame can be shared top and bottom
Got it, good point, thanks Kevin. t

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Ige that is very helpful. I always like comparisons. I do like the looks of the 4" downy. I assume the fenders had been cut???? I am planing on cutting the rear fenders, and adding Bushwhackers.

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 09-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Shocks are the key to ride quality if using high quality (note multiple leaf pack) springs! Hydraulic (cheap) shocks like Ranch 5000's will dislodge your innerds regardless of what suspension your running!
X a million on that advice! I had 5000s on my 76 with stock suspension, and also on my HZJ75 with - well you all know the suspension on that truck: stock leaf packs with block lift. In both cases the ride was really harsh.

My 71 came with factory shocks, which actually worked pretty well. When I lifted I went with OMEs, which are very nice. I'm not so sure about their longevity though, they seem to be leaking after 6 years of service.

I've never used 9000s myself, but ridden in and driven a number of rigs with them, and if you dial them soft a bit they seem okay.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/