Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-14-2006, 08:42 AM
cricket

Default ?axle strength?

i have an 02 tj x with 30 and 35 i have a 7" long arm and 2 " body w 35's i was wandering how u guys think the axles will hold for now till i can get stronger ones im broke
Old 04-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket
i have an 02 tj x with 30 and 35 i have a 7" long arm and 2 " body w 35's i was wandering how u guys think the axles will hold for now till i can get stronger ones im broke

If you make it to the trail head with that rear axle I'd be amazed. If you take that rig 4 wheeling, don't go alone. That rear D35c usually dies with 33" tires. I'm assuming you AREN"T locked so that will help....sorta...maybe...not really but go for a 8.8 rear end.

I don't know if you've noticed or not but this is the Rising Sun 4wd club, which is TLCA sanctioned...or Toyota Land Cruiser Association. Nobodyon here has a jeep for reasons I won't go into...but...

here are some sites which will be a big help to ya, unless you'd like to convert to Toyota

Good local site, 95% jeeps
www.colorado4x4.org

All jeeps, not local, kinda gay site....ok really gay but you could prolly get better answers than what we would give you...
www.jeepsunlimited.com
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 04-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Word!

Cricket, we like ya but ya gotta do somethin' 'bout that truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBen
If you make it to the trail head with that rear axle I'd be amazed. If you take that rig 4 wheeling, don't go alone. That rear D35c usually dies with 33" tires. I'm assuming you AREN"T locked so that will help....sorta...maybe...not really but go for a 8.8 rear end.

I don't know if you've noticed or not but this is the Rising Sun 4wd club, which is TLCA sanctioned...or Toyota Land Cruiser Association. Nobodyon here has a jeep for reasons I won't go into...but...

here are some sites which will be a big help to ya, unless you'd like to convert to Toyota

Good local site, 95% jeeps
www.colorado4x4.org

All jeeps, not local, kinda gay site....ok really gay but you could prolly get better answers than what we would give you...
www.jeepsunlimited.com
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Me ain't sure what a 30, 35 is.. is that 30 inch tires on the front and 35's on the rear

Toss some 60 axles under it with a 2f and split case and you should be fine

Cricket, don't mind our little bashing.. It's all in good fun here but were mostly dedicated to Land Cruisers and Toyota's in general. Only uncle ben know jeeps
TLCA#4180
Old 04-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl
<snip> Only uncle ben know jeeps
He knows thay taste like chicken!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

You guys is bad to the bone...
Cricket, you are pushing your axles hard but they can either be upgraded, or the man above is correct: an 8.8 Ford axle is stylin', gives you disk brakes, and IIRC also can be had, from the boneyard, with 4.10 gears. Which should pull those 35s mo betta.

The front can be beefed significantly, and needs to be. You really will NOT like replacing a front U-joint in the rain, at night, in the dark in the middle of nowhere. Just as much un-fun as a birfield, the Toyota equivalent. High Country 4x4 can help you out there, or perhaps Wilderness Off-Road. Shoot them a call.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

These Toyota guys should be promoting their junk. Put a Toyota 8" in the rear out of a 3rd gen 4Runner. Can be had in factory 4.56, and you get the axle size and splines of a D44 with the diff clearance of a D35, plus factory e-locker option (maybe just mod it for a cable shift?).

People do the Ford just because it has the same bolt pattern (5 on 4.5), but you still have a c-clip axle and you'll love an inch of diff clearance compared to the Toy 8".

The 30 is fine until you have seriously upgraded the rear.

Nay
Old 04-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Nay's got quite a point there. Why not?
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:25 PM
cricket

Default thanx

haha oops didnt realize the whole land cruiser thing but wheelin is wheelin so yea well thanx 4 the info i thnk im gonna do the 8.8 swap cause of money
Old 04-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

I WAS a Heep guy had to learn the hard way.

Another option for the rear, that's little known even by the Joop crowd, look for a Ford 9" from a late 70's -> early 80's Lincon Town Car or blue oval station wagon. Close to the same width, some came w/ rear disks, and the same lug pattern.